• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Z19 Crossover

...and after a brief break, Z19 crossover development continues. Can anyone measure and post the dimensions of a stock Altec Model 19 crossover board? In an ideal world we should be able to build this up and drop it in as a substantial improvement in place of the stock board. :scratch2:

I built a pair from scratch and they dropped right into my cabinets.
 
You know it Sam! We had a single Model 14 that I picked up for development purposes a year or so ago. It's safe and sound at my place just awaiting time and space to work on it.
 
The stock Model 14 woofer is a bit of an odd duck. I wish Altec had made it available for sale outside of that speaker system.
 
Something that would be a great addition to the Zilch legacy would be a version tuned to use the 931 MantaRay horn and a 12" woofer (like the 414) in a Model 14 clone. I have the parts to build 19s, but no place to put the resulting refrigerators.

I have 2 model 14 woofers and plan to build e-waved 9842 clones with them 'someday.' Am highly interested in crossover ideas. I have R Christinsen's crossover design for the model 14/9842, and there are of course the existing e-wave schemes, and the Z-19....
 
...and after a brief break, Z19 crossover development continues. Can anyone measure and post the dimensions of a stock Altec Model 19 crossover board? In an ideal world we should be able to build this up and drop it in as a substantial improvement in place of the stock board. :scratch2:

The aluminum plate that the crossover parts are mounted on measure 5 1/4" wide by 6 1/2" long and that plate is then riveted to the front plate.
 
Are the attenuators mounted to that aluminum plate?

The attenuators are mounted on the faceplate, so the other plate only contains the resistors, caps, and inductors.

You lose about 1 1/2" of usable space of the 6 1/2" length on the original crossover because they left room to install or remove the attenuators or L-pads without hitting the inductors.

I would think a Z19 board that could be mounted to the original faceplate should have the same width (5 1/4") as the original so it can be bolted or riveted to the faceplate. The length could vary, if the Z19 parts crowd the 6 1/2" length or if the parts arrangement is not optimal, just extend the length to 7" or 8" or whatever you need.
 
I just happened to have my crossovers out on the table for a recap so I decided to take a couple pictures for future reference before they get reinstalled this afternoon.

You can see how the die-cast front plate is attached to the crossover plate with four rivets. Also see how the crossover plate doesn't extend all the way to the end of the front plate, just past the rivet holes. The plate is only 1/16" thick so if the Z19 board was real thick it might not fit under the L-Pads. It might be better to run it just long enough to go past the rivet holes like the original.
 

Attachments

  • Altec19bottom.jpg
    Altec19bottom.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 107
  • Altec19top.jpg
    Altec19top.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 130
I've been working on some Z19 for my Model 19's and happened to have them out. They measure 12 inches from front to back. The board that the components are on meaures 8x6 and the board that it's mounted to is 10x6. It's mounted 2 inches behind the front panel (7.5 by 4.5)

I'm going to mount a new front panel on (same wood painted black) but have not got to that yet. They're up and running and sounding good but not quite broken in yet.

Here are some pictures.

http://http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae247/mattvandyke/P1060695.jpg

http://http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae247/mattvandyke/P1060697.jpg

http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae247/mattvandyke/P1060698.jpg
 
Scratch built Z19's.

DSC03618.jpg
 
Prototype ZL19's

Here are pics of the prototype ZL19 crossover PC boards. Won't be stuffed for several more days, as we are waiting for a few parts.

They are 5.5" X 5.25".
 

Attachments

  • ZL19 001.jpg
    ZL19 001.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 358
  • ZL19 003.jpg
    ZL19 003.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 350
If by chance you are making more boards PLEASE put me on the list!!! I am a huge Z19 builder/ user!

GREAT looking work!!
DC
 
Back
Top Bottom