• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Zenith Turntable Model - Please help.

I liked the older BSR's. The original BSR McDonald's were nice. Later so many brands became plastic junk. One of the big reasons that CD's became so popular was that so many turntables that the general public was exposed to were absolute crap. Instead for form following function, function followed form.
Pretty much once the cheap stereos in the '80s started using basically the same turntable mechanism that modern junk like the Crosleys and Victrolas use, it was pretty much the end for vinyl. When the average person thought that's just the way vinyl sounded, no wonder they went to CDs.
 
I can’t say for this particular sample yet. But the Model 50 Garrard that my dad had never missed a lick. Even I used it. Played my stack of Partridge Family LPs on it, and Herb Alpert.
 
I can’t say for this particular sample yet. But the Model 50 Garrard that my dad had never missed a lick. Even I used it. Played my stack of Partridge Family LPs on it, and Herb Alpert.
That was a good record player. I'd like to come across one cheap, be fun to have it.
 
Pretty much once the cheap stereos in the '80s started using basically the same turntable mechanism that modern junk like the Crosleys and Victrolas use, it was pretty much the end for vinyl. When the average person thought that's just the way vinyl sounded, no wonder they went to CDs.
Actually the turntable mechanism used in "modern junk" dates back to at least 1987, and was based on a design by... you guessed it... BSR! They outsourced it to a Taiwanese OEM, who then took over the design when BSR exited the turntable business.

BSR did the same thing with their record changer design, which was resurrected in the 2000s as the Crosley Stack-O-Matic. It's belt-drive and even more plasticky, but many parts are directly interchangeable with 1970s BSRs:

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/crosley-traveler-stack-o-matic-and-rebuild.816054/
 
Actually the turntable mechanism used in "modern junk" dates back to at least 1987, and was based on a design by... you guessed it... BSR! They outsourced it to a Taiwanese OEM, who then took over the design when BSR exited the turntable business.

BSR did the same thing with their record changer design, which was resurrected in the 2000s as the Crosley Stack-O-Matic. It's belt-drive and even more plasticky, but many parts are directly interchangeable with 1970s BSRs:

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/crosley-traveler-stack-o-matic-and-rebuild.816054/
Yep, pretty sure 1987 was in the '80s.;)

I had relatives that had a Yorx with that crummy turntable mechanism. They were EVERYWHERE for a long time.

I've seen those Junk-O-Matics. Leave it to Crosley to take a BSR and make it even cheaper and crappier.:rolleyes: At least the case is decent looking, and you can take out the BSR clone, throw it in the trash where it belongs, and put a decent vintage one in it's place.
 
Last edited:
Plenty of decent changers, and plenty of duds from the same brands. Those plastic fantastic BSR's are built about as cheaply as possible but they actually work OK and are generally pretty simple to make run again. Usual gummy lube and dirt problems, an hour or so of cleaning and a new nail usually has them running as well as ever.

That Garrard Model 50 is part of a pretty decent series of small size changers. There were variants with better arms and motors, and variants with worse. I just did an AT6 MKII over the weekend, which has the better arm but is otherwise mostly the same as the 50. It lives in my Hoffman console, replacing an RC 121 that I never got to run worth a damn.

I have a VM built Zenith changer in a late tube era BOTL console they made. VM 1200 with the "Cobra" arm and spring mount cartridge. Works pretty well actually. VM changers are OK, arms are kind of crude but they get the job done.
 
The BSR changer posted in the OP's console image can also be fitted with a MM cartridge. The ACD QLM carts fit into those, and it's belt drive - it shouldn't sound that bad.
It was badged as a Realistic LAB 56 by Radio Shack
 
After Zenith phased out their Micro-Touch 2G tonearm they also used Garrard record changer mechanisms. Some were pretty decent -- I restored one from 1979 which had a Shure M75 cartridge on it, the MC9020:

https://reverb.com/item/4647768-vin...tomatic-turntable-very-good-working-condition

r4tmwnoihpyacul0scbd.jpg

Big issues with these are. It's the horrible, clunky, cheap feeling Unimech mechanism. Heaven help you if you must ever have to do an overhaul on one, much more complex due to having to dismantle every one of those modular assemblies to service it. If you had to hire a technician to do this, it would cost far more than the cost of this unit when new even with inflation factored in. An old AT6 or AT60's a much better replacement which can actually track lighter than one of these POSes. And they have the same gummed up to cement grease issues every other Garrard has.
 
I think I have a Y960, and need help finding the model of the turntable so i can purchase a new cartridge. If you know the model, please let me know. I have the picture for you.

Thank you

This changer is not original to your Zenith console. Your Zenith console would have had a Micro-Touch equipped VM changer installed at the factory, which outperforms the horrid cheapie plastic BSR your console has.
 
This changer is not original to your Zenith console. Your Zenith console would have had a Micro-Touch equipped VM changer installed at the factory, which outperforms the horrid cheapie plastic BSR your console has.

I was wondering what that turntable was. I did not recognize it. I love the real Zenith changer. The one with the 45 rpm adaptor that is part of the turntable.
 
Actually the turntable mechanism used in "modern junk" dates back to at least 1987, and was based on a design by... you guessed it... BSR! They outsourced it to a Taiwanese OEM, who then took over the design when BSR exited the turntable business.

BSR did the same thing with their record changer design, which was resurrected in the 2000s as the Crosley Stack-O-Matic. It's belt-drive and even more plasticky, but many parts are directly interchangeable with 1970s BSRs:

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/crosley-traveler-stack-o-matic-and-rebuild.816054/

Please note something. I am not one who knocks all BSR changers. The 510, 610, and 710 are models I happen to like a lot in good order. Those are reasonably simple save for the 710 (which is more complex with that mechanism) and they have good 4 pole motors, metal platters, good tonearms with 1/2" slide cartridge mount, counterweight, and antiskating. They can track around 1.8 grams easily with a good medium mass cartridge like a Shure M 75 EJ, and perform much better than your average BSR does.
 
I was wondering what that turntable was. I did not recognize it. I love the real Zenith changer. The one with the 45 rpm adaptor that is part of the turntable.

The high end Zenith belt/idler drive changer you speak of was optional on a Y940. The top Zenith models had them, but also cost much more when new.
 
Back
Top Bottom