• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Zilch's AK Design Collaborative - Econowave Speaker

One thing you'll notice, is that the batteries are said to last as long as the date they
are said to be good till, so what that tells you is no current is being drawn from them.
 
Help me now, I believe Ross and I are also agreeing. +6.36VAC = 18V P-P, no?

Yes.
Also note that it helps to envision the charging circuit as in parallel with the speaker VC. It's parallel but it has an impedance several orders of magnitude higher so the charging circuit itself does not influence the audio circuit.
 
Zilch,

Thanks for a much more detailed answer than I would have hoped. I am going to take my time to study all of this. I am looking forward to the experience.

In a thread discussing an upcoming KC area get-together, Russelc mentioned the e'waves he put together with your help. He suggested that a pair of JBL 4310s that I found in somewhat distressed condition might be a candidate for the e'wave treatment. If it turns out that the tweeters on those should be replaced, they would probably be the better candidate. Gotta do my homework.

Thanks again.

Regards,

D-Ray
 
Both Jackgiff and Skywave-rider have built with them successfully, using the standard E'Wave crossover. The JBL beamwidth specs are spectacularly good. I've got to mount them on cabinet baffles yet to verify, but they are "official" E'Waveguides.

I went ahead and picked them up anyway because they were so inexpensive, but thanks for the response.

Also, has anyone tried to remove the screen and fill the gap/ledge with thin washers, o-rings or clay so that it makes and even smoother transition from the throat of the driver to the waveguide? If so, are there any measurements available and was it audible? Maybe it's not important in an "econo" build but I think these have potential to be more than "econo" builds. I had been asked if I had tried it so I figured I'd ask here too to cover all bases.

This JBL is very uniform, I'm impressed with the construction quality compared to the none uniform Dayton ones that don't even have smooth/round holes.

Some comparison shots of different inexpensive waveguides (I still need to pick up the compact MCM one)
IMG_3691.jpg

IMG_3692.jpg


More pics here if anyone was interested
http://s191.photobucket.com/albums/z174/durwood79/waveguides/
 
Also, has anyone tried to remove the screen and fill the gap/ledge with thin washers, o-rings or clay so that it makes and even smoother transition from the throat of the driver to the waveguide? If so, are there any measurements available and was it audible? Maybe it's not important in an "econo" build but I think these have potential to be more than "econo" builds. I had been asked if I had tried it so I figured I'd ask here too to cover all bases.
None that have been reported here.

This JBL is very uniform, I'm impressed with the construction quality compared to the non-uniform Dayton ones that don't even have smooth/round holes.
For several years, I tried to conceive of means to adapt the JBL 2404 "Baby-cheek" horn for use with standard drivers. That quest ended with the availability of these. Though I have not tried it yet, I expect they will perform spectacularly with BMS 4540nd.... :thmbsp:
179998/4603=39.1045​
 
Zilch,

Thanks for a much more detailed answer than I would have hoped. I am going to take my time to study all of this. I am looking forward to the experience.

D-Ray

Zilch didn't mention it, but he has posted a plethora of information in the very first post of this mammoth tome, with links to all of the various examples of e-wave. A great place to start!:thmbsp:
 
So I've built the E-waves, which I love...

But I do think the Selenium driver is the weak link(The LE14A seems like a great woofer). I would like something which is a little smoother sounding for the top end. I've got my coins together and I am now searching in earnest for something spectacular to replace the 220ti's. I am thinking of going with a 1.5" driver like the BMS 4555, which would of course necessitate a change in horn(and crossover, I suppose).

I come back and visit this thread every week or two and honestly, it's hard to keep up with you guys!:D Anyone care to point me in a direction which might lead to nirvana?
 
I've got my coins together and I am now searching in earnest for something spectacular to replace the 220ti's. I am thinking of going with a 1.5" driver like the BMS 4555, which would of course necessitate a change in horn(and crossover, I suppose).
That's a proven step up, though I haven't ever run that combo on the E'Wave crossover that I immediately recall. I can certainly try that.

Others are venturing into alternative drivers on the standard E'Waveguide, though nobody's come up with anything that particularly stands out as yet. :dunno:

Edit: Mxlews' originals used BMS 4550 with throat adapters. Mine are still here, and I can try them on the E'Wave crossover, as well.... :yes:
 
I pick up a pair of ratted out JBL 4425s last summer but they did not have the original woofers, (2214s I think) and the cabs are in rough shape If I were to experiment with your Econo- waveguide system would that horn work for this or would I just be better off sticking to the original recipe?
If so is there a parts express woofer that may work with this driver?
 
The 2342 "Butt-cheek" horns in your 4425s are getting hard to come by, of late. I do have a pair, and will try one with the Selenium driver and E'Wave crossover for you. Watch here for the findings.

There is very likely an inexpensive Dayton woofer that will work nicely in the 4425 cabinets, yes. However, if those cabinets are restorable, I would seriously consider acquiring the correct woofers from eBay or other sources and rebuilding the 4425s to stock.... :yes:
 
Thanks Zilch, I will make sure to revisit this thread a lot more frequently so
I don't get so left behind:yes:
 
So, with this latest convergence of the two best interwebs forums [my favorite, at least], are you possibly working on the first PapaEwaveZ? :D

Mmmm, DIY Pass-powered Econowaves (built by Zen Mod with a nod to Zich)

We could call them PEZ. :yes:

:D

we'll see ......... these are for my friend Igor ..... and they'll be driven either with babelfish J or with (soon to be made ) pseudo-Donut amp ......

:scratch2: :banana:

my EW will be made with ancient Philips 12" ( no , not Alnico whizzered ones ) in some big lumpy boxes ..... at least for them IB rulez ;)
 
An ESS development engineer posted on AK recently. Send him a PM, maybe.

If the small ones are the PRs, I don't believe they match the requirements; unless someone knows better, I'd just be building with the woofs.... :dunno:
 
An ESS development engineer posted on AK recently. Send him a PM, maybe.

If the small ones are the PRs, I don't believe they match the requirements; unless someone knows better, I'd just be building with the woofs.... :dunno:

I didn't see him, do you remember his user name?
 
Hello Zilch

Have you tried any 2118/WaveGuide combo's?? I tried them with larger 1.5" drivers not the smaller waveguides. If so what did you think??

Rob:)
 
Let's put our collective minds to this:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=214088

What's the E'Wave answer?

[I have provided a clue over there.... :thmbsp: ]


They're all over the place here, but:

1) I've never built a CC E'Wave, and,

2) ZilchLab is not a "critical listening" environment.

I've got the first one up and working. Probably wont be able to get to the other one until tomorrow. I'm letting the first one burn in for now, with the other side with original crossover. No lightning bolts or special effects yet. Hard to really tell difference until both are playing.

russellc
 
So I've built the E-waves, which I love...

But I do think the Selenium driver is the weak link(The LE14A seems like a great woofer). I would like something which is a little smoother sounding for the top end. I've got my coins together and I am now searching in earnest for something spectacular to replace the 220ti's. I am thinking of going with a 1.5" driver like the BMS 4555, which would of course necessitate a change in horn(and crossover, I suppose).

I come back and visit this thread every week or two and honestly, it's hard to keep up with you guys!:D Anyone care to point me in a direction which might lead to nirvana?

Im having good luck with the JBL 2425H drivers. Very smooth sounding, right now its with the standard <95 db crossover.

Russellc
 
Back
Top Bottom