• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Zilch's AK Design Collaborative - Econowave Speaker

Footnote:

Googling "Waveguide Speaker" today finds us #2 behind Bose, and well ahead of Wikipedia, reporting first cached version, March 1, 2008, with 15 posts by 6 authors.... :tongue:
 
We can try!

I finished mine up, and am running some tunes now. Using the JBL asymmetrical PTs and JBL 2426h.

Crossover was kicking my ass, lots of loops and whatnot trying to hammer the response flat (allowing for a >10k rolloff).

As it turns out, my zoebels, 4 ohms of series resistance, an l-pad, and a 2.2uF cap creates a well-behaved (though not totally smooth... yet) 12dB rolloff at 1250, and a fairly flat response to 10k with a rolloff above that.

Not too bad, a lot better than the 2nd order CD compensations I had been tweaking with. Lot of wasted hours in this "Simple" XO......

I will give them some more time before posting impressions, though it could be tonight....
If that gets us over the hump for 600 pages :) And Zilch is a west coaster I believe so that's midnight PST :)
 
Looks like it didn't make it to 600 in '09. Oh well---.

I'm still running in the Advent/2 Min-E-Waves and am enjoying hearing them blossom as they come into their own. Since they still have their foam stuffing I can see restuffing with fibreglass insulation and some front-to-rear re-enforcement upgrading in the future.
Here's to a good 2010!!
 
Yeah, did, here on the left coast! :thmbsp:

New Year's bonus update:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=3316259#post3316259

Tab 'em:

1. http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=187156&stc=1&d=1262247645

2. http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=187315&d=1262340813

3. http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=187316&d=1262340813

Exciting stuff for speaker geeks:

What's the difference between a single on-axis and a pair on-axis (toed in)? 1 vs. 3.

And a constant-directivity pair on-axis as compared to 20° off-axis horizontally? 3 vs. 2.

[The nulls certainly don't budge.... :tongue: ]
 
Last edited:
Ok guys I caught the e-wave bug, but before the parts ordering process begins I want to be sure my crossover is properly picked. I seen on the project summary a crossover for a <95db woofer and one for a JBL LE14A woofer. Which crossover is best suited to be use for my newly acquired JBL 2235H's. Also are there any sonic differences between the JBL waveguide and the Pyle Pro PH612 waveguide? As always Thanks, Scott

I've been using the LP of the 4430 monitor. For clone instructions, see Zilch's thread over on LH forum entitled "4430 Help". I'm using the Zobel as well, tuned the same as a 4430 in 5 cu ft.

russellc
 
DQ-10waves

I've been driving my hybrid DQ-10/DE250/QSC Ewave speakers with the standard ewave low sensitivity XO for a few days and just got around to doing some rough measurements. It looks like I've got about a 3db peak at the crossover region. I haven't measured the sections separately yet, as I'm elbows deep in writing an article & can't spare the time now. My first inclination would be to let the waveguide have that region and move the woofer crossover lower to flatten the crossover peak. Does tha tseem like a rational way to go?
 
My first inclination would be to let the waveguide have that region and move the woofer crossover lower to flatten the crossover peak. Does tha tseem like a rational way to go?
Yes. Let the highpass be except as a last resort. Most importantly, find the forward inverse null and make all adjustments on that axis. :yes:

In 2 months and 23 days, this thread will be 2 years old.
I expect we'll have passed even more milestones by the time EconoWave is two.... :thmbsp:
 
Last edited:
Regarding the DE250/QSC with the DQ-10's Advent woofer:

Yes. Let the highpass be except as a last resort. Most importantly, find the forward inverse null and make all adjustments on that axis.

Jack's version of the DE250/QSC crossover left the LP alone and shifted the HP up with a smaller cap (4uf vs 4.7) and larger inductor (0.90 vs 0.60) as well as inverting the HP polarity. So that gives me two opinions/options.
I think I'll leave it as is for a while until I clear a bunch of work out of here and I can tackle the issues properly.
 
DQ-10 is decidedly a different woofer than either of us used, and in a different alignment.

I'll be doing more with the QSC, as well, but I'm catching up on other stuff here, too.... :yes:
 
DQ-10 is decidedly a different woofer than either of us used, and in a different alignment.

I'll be doing more with the QSC, as well, but I'm catching up on other stuff here, too.... :yes:

DQ10 = Large Advent woofer. Should be similar in behavior. Smaller cabinet, otherwise very similar.

Regards,
Gordon.
 
DQ10 = Large Advent woofer. Should be similar in behavior. Smaller cabinet, otherwise very similar.

Regards,
Gordon.

I have a carefully refoamed pair of LA woofers that I plan to drop into these DQ-10 cabs soon. I think the DQ woofers were refoamed in the past and one seems stiffish. I'll check the Fs on the WT3 and see how they measure.
The DQs are wired with Monster Cable, which is all corroded and nasty now. That'll come out...

(EDIT)

Yup. The woofers read 32hz and should be 17hz. Foam's too stiff. Replacing them will take some of the bump out of the bottom end.
Darn! One of my refoamed woofers has the VC former loose from the spider. Well, a bead of glue will fix that.
 
Last edited:
he's got legs

The Doug Mockett Co. provides specialty hardware for furniture. There are others besides posted below:

http://www.mockett.com/furniture-hardware/furniture-legs-casters/small-lil?p=1

FL1-100_03A-259px.jpg
 
Electric legs!

[I could tilt the speakers to taste from my listening chair.... :thmbsp: ]

510179/9002=56.6740​
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom