• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Zilch's AK Design Collaborative - Econowave Speaker

Have you heard the 1/2 J2??? It is about the size I am looking for and I wouldn't mind hearing it in the front loaded configuration.
DJNAGLE,

I use the J2 1/2 height for my center channel with a GPA 902 driver into the Soniphase 400 cycle horn (with a 1 to 2 inch adapter). The J2 1/2 height replaced one of my Belle Klipsch as the center channel. The combo makes a very nice 2 way system, excellent for music with very little of the 'edge' than HF horns exhibit. I am going to try waveguides as they are suppose to remove that little 'edge'. I prefer the Jamboree (almost like the full height J2) and the J2 1/2 height to my Klipschorns and Belle. They are that 'good'.

Larry
 
So I ordered my QSC HPR152 horns about 5 weeks ago. I finally emailed them last week to check on them since I see where other eWavers were getting them quicker. Tech support says they are back-ordered until May. No big deal, the standard eWaves sound fine and I've got other stuff to do. The next day I get an email telling me they have shipped. Cool, May is early this year. I get the box and I'm wondering how they fit 2 horns in that little box. It seems the trick is that two HPR122i horns fit in a nice small box. Yep, I've now got a pair of 10" round bolt-on waveguides. I think they screwed up my order since I should have noticed that they cost a whopping $6.55 each. Oh well, I guess I'll keep them and try again.
 
Going to have a go at building the deluxe crossovers this weekend (amateur soldering skills!). I noticed on the picture that the "in" and "out" look just like a bolt and nut. Was that a special part that I forgot to order? Is it just binding posts?

Thanks.

attachment.php
 
Binding Posts P/N 091-1247, satin nickel, also available polished nickel -1246 and gold -1245.

Holes are also provided for those desiring to use wire connections, for example, to input terminal cups.... :yes:
 
Teaser...

Three 15" Ewave cabinets assembled, and ready to play.

Will try to get pics tomorrow. Once they're mounted to the subs.

Will also try and get the 10" Ewave rear channels started this evening... time to build more boxes.

Regards,
Gordon.
 
Three 15" Ewave cabinets assembled, and ready to play.

Will try to get pics tomorrow. Once they're mounted to the subs.

Will also try and get the 10" Ewave rear channels started this evening... time to build more boxes.

Regards,
Gordon.

Oooo...more details on the Ewave rear channels!
 
Question on the cabinet and ports.

I purchased a few of these:
260-411_s.jpg


I am starting to think that a few 4" holes with the cabinet rounded over and regular PVC will be just as simple and look more integrated from the outside.

Probably pretty standard thing but this is my first time.
 
Question on the cabinet and ports.
I am starting to think that a few 4" holes with the cabinet rounded over and regular PVC will be just as simple and look more integrated from the outside.

A lot of it depends on materials and how cleanly you can cut the holes. The port tubes are fast and allow for a lot more slop. Cut a rough hole, drop them in, done! Perfect for something you won't see. Maybe a bit cheesy for audiophiles...maybe a lot. But they do sort of match the Pyle/JBL waveguides.

I suggest you try a practice run with the plain PVC to see if it turns out the way you like.
 
A lot of it depends on materials and how cleanly you can cut the holes. The port tubes are fast and allow for a lot more slop. Cut a rough hole, drop them in, done! Perfect for something you won't see. Maybe a bit cheesy for audiophiles...maybe a lot. But they do sort of match the Pyle/JBL waveguides.

I suggest you try a practice run with the plain PVC to see if it turns out the way you like.

Yeah...now that I have them in hand...I think they will look WAY cheesy. What sort of round over would be required to get the same performance? I suppose I can put these inside the box to flare the other end of the port.
 
Last edited:
Shouldn't be too hard to make the mandrel, then reform pvc into an eliptical flare...:scratch2: :yes: :smoke:

Softening temp of pvc is below 100 C
 
Last edited:
Good read!


Interesting that the baffle plays such a big part that having a baffle plate on the inside reduces distortion...

Here's a few of my finished projects, dual 10's 2.5-wayves, and D-131 in K-12 cabs, Kwaves. Those 10's have been on my shelf for 5 years! (Got 'em at Fry's for $10 ea.)

You can see the inside of the Karlson cabs here: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=206149&d=1271614453
 

Attachments

  • 2.5 wave.jpg
    2.5 wave.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 118
  • Kwave.JPG
    Kwave.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Here's a few of my finished projects, dual 10's 2.5-wayves, and D-131 in K-12 cabs, Kwaves. Those 10's have been on my shelf for 5 years! (Got 'em at Fry's for $10 ea.)
EconoWave has unleashed the DIY monster within; we can't seem to stop with just one pair.

[Too much FUN! :tongue: ]
 
Back
Top Bottom