• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Zilch's AK Design Collaborative - Econowave Speaker

Hey guys, I need some help with a crossover.

I'm building a front left & right mains speaker for my Cousin. It'll be embedded into his a/v wall bookcase thingy. So it'll almost be like it's wall mounted, so the BSC could need some tweaking?

Max dimensions are: 8.75" H x 23.25" W x 25.5" D

I'm thinking of using the Dayton RS180-8 (7" midrange) with the JBL waveguide and Selenium D220Ti.

Another problem is the mid & waveguide will be side by side. That's the only way it will work. So I'm hoping for any suggestions to the existing crossover to compensate for this and the BSC.

Perfection not required. They're coming from "Sony" speakers.
 
Ok what do ppl think of the following trap cabinet.

Inner Dimensions:

Height: 90cm (36")
Depth: 39cm (14.9")
Front W: 42cm (16.5")
Back W: 27cm (10.62")

Volume: 121.09 L

I figured nearly 2L of volume for waveguide + driver. Another 3.2L for the woofer. 5L for bracing + stuffing.

This cabinet would then be tuned with two 4inch flared ports that are 28.2cm long (11.11"). These would provide f3 of 27.245 and fb of 26.2. Reviews of the flared tubes also note that there is 1-3 decibel rises around the tuned frequencies from the use of flared ports in comparison to straight tube ports as described above (MMmmmm Basssss).

I have tried to make the dimensions non-easily dividable numbers that are multiples of themselves. I know this doesn't follow the golden rule, but since I was screwing around I figured it was better then nothing.

Peace,
Mitch

P.S: Coincidentally the front panel of this cabinet is nearly the exact dimensions of 6 pieces of A4 paper placed in a 2 columns of 3 attached end to end. Makes it easy to visualize at least.
 
Last edited:
So it'll almost be like it's wall mounted, so the BSC could need some tweaking?
It depends upon the characteristics of the woofers used. Generally, the value of the lowpass inductor can be varied (within limits) to adjust the BSC.


Ok what do ppl think of the following trap cabinet.
Bigger than any I have built, but if the box models say "good" then worth a try. Simple impedance measurements will verify the tuning once complete.... :yes:
 
Inner Dimensions:

Height: 90cm (36")
Depth: 39cm (14.9")
Front W: 42cm (16.5")
Back W: 27cm (10.62")

This cabinet would then be tuned with two 4inch flared ports that are 28.2cm long (11.11").

Where do the ports go? Given that they are 7.25/6.25" diameter and 11" deep you more or less have to install them on center-line of the baffle and stack them (unless you bend them somehow) to make them fit inside the box. That's a whole lot of port to buy and install.
 
Where do the ports go? Given that they are 7.25/6.25" diameter and 11" deep you more or less have to install them on center-line of the baffle and stack them (unless you bend them somehow) to make them fit inside the box. That's a whole lot of port to buy and install.


Thanks for pointing that out. Kinda got carried away and forgot the flair sizes. I went back to the calculator and it seems to indicate there is no difference between 1 or 2 ports. This doesn't seem quite right? I am going to see if I can make the two ports fit below the woofer. If not well... I'll give it a go with one I guess.

Mitch
 
Do not forget to calculate port volumes from box volume

As in, don't forget to subtract the volume occupied by the port itself, from the total available internal box volume. With large ports, this can be significant...

Regards,
Gordon.
 
Hi efficiency 15" rocks!

I'm giving my econowaves another try! Way back in May/June, I tried a temporary setup of the D220/PH612 with the standard low efficiency xover on my Advents, and couldn't get them to sound better than the stock Advent tweeter/xover. Tried switching phase, moving waveguide, modifying xover, got frustrated and boxed them up.

The other day I had an idea - try hooking the econo waveguide/xover to a hi efficiency woofer. I borrowed some Peavey 115H pro speakers with the 15" Scorpion woofer. I used to own them and loved the dynamics but tired of the colorations. They have no xover at all and a dual piezo horn. So I put in my xover and hooked the econowave instead of the piezo horn. WOW! That was what I was looking for! L-pad had to be all the way up but seemed just right there.

So now I am ordering some Dayton PA380-8 15" pro woofers. The plan is to use the std xovers I built since the Daytons are about the same efficiency as the Peaveys (but I'm hoping the Daytons sound better). I plan to build the cabinets as a 3/4 scale clone of the old JBL L200 Studiomaster as I love their early 70s look (pic attached). Will update with progress.
 

Attachments

  • page05.jpg
    page05.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 84
You need only a cap and a resistor to convert a standard eWave crossover to the high-efficiency variant, ~$5 the pair.... :yes:

830237/11944=69.5108​
 
Last edited:
Infinity 2.5, a buddy gave me the cabs and I don't know if the top end works and what happened to the woofer's but the replacement woofer's are big bucks. So I thought I would ewave them. It would be my 4th ewave:banana:
 

Attachments

  • R2_512aa.jpg
    R2_512aa.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 52
Are they 12" holes? the QSC might work well in those uprights with a baffle board around them to fill in the gap. Those will make stunning looking eWaves.
 
yes 12" woofer, I would cut down the uprights and want to fit a horn from side to side about 18" with it just hang'n there. Then make some grills for the woofers, I've got grandkid's that would just love to poke their finger in woofer if its not covered.
 
You could also cut the uprights, flip it upside down, and cut-out for your horn right above the woofer. That way, your C to C spacing is close, and it's all in one box.
 
That is the good direction Rapid. Now talk to Gordon W and get a pair of his newly Frankin' JBL drivers and you will be all set.
 
Back
Top Bottom