• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Zilch's AK Design Collaborative - Econowave Speaker

OK, I'm impressed. Love to hear 'em....

well, let me know when you leave Ohio and I'll put a Prime Rid on the rotisierre.

Those are looking good George!!

Bet they sound nice.

They sound REALLY nice. I cant believe what the 2235 brings to the party, they preform effortlessly. When listening to a piece that contains a extremely low frequency passage, they just sail right thru. Flawlessly. I have waited a long time to own a speaker that performs as well as these.

Let me know when your want me to bring over my test gear.

Very cool. Those just look "right". Good job.
Thanks, Dennis.

Any thoughts on what kind of amps your speakers want?

I am using a Pioneer SA9500 for the preamp and to drive the B&C250's and that seems to work well.

Before I had moved up to the 2235's I was using JBL LE14's and had tried them with an Alrec 9942, Crown DC150, and a Pioneer M-90. But they really came alive when I picked up a used JBL 6260 (another bit of info I gleaned from from reading Zilch) I had been looking for a Spec4 to compliment my other silver Pioneers, but at this point I would be very reluctant to give up the JBL. I looking for a 6290 that I can snag without having to give up an organ.

George
 
This represents the peak of my two year journey into ewave building and testing. I have built a total of 8 pairs starting with JBL L16’s and culminating with JBL 2235’s using all three of the JBL waveguides and finally the QSC.

I would love to hear how you found the QSC versus the other waveguides.
 
This is way out of Econo territory, but has anyone used the AE TD-15M? Awesome 98db//1w/1m 15"! I got a pair to use with 2" compression driver, crossing over at 600-700. I mounted the TD-15Ms in recycled JBL 4846 cabinets (8 cu ft) with one 15" hole and one port covered, and while waiting for some parts I put a pair of Altec 902s on top with wood horns, using a pair of Four Pi crossovers (1600 hz) I built a long time ago. Wow, this is a cool combination, with frankly much more bass than I had with the JBL 2226 in 4 ft cabs.

For current production options, the TD-15Ms are a great choice for a very efficient two-way with plenty of low end, whether you're crossing over to a 1" or 1.4"/2" compression driver.
 
Last edited:
Building a "standard" eWave using a 6"/8" driver and adding a 12"/15"/18" subwoofer in each cabinet should be a slam dunk with a subwoofer amp and HT receiver. No fancy XO design work and you add more power where you need it.

very true, hook the existing woofer in a vintage 3 way to a plate amp w/ built in active crossover might be as cost effective as building a 100hz 2nd or 3rd order low pass (big inductors get quite spendy)
 
The AE Lambda series of large diameter drivers are the best available regardless of price.

Okay, if we're going for superlatives, here's mine: even the greatest drivers don't stay in production forever, and people now chase after classics from the 30s, 50s, 70s, etc. In the future, when these drivers aren't available, these AE Lambdas will be highly sought. People will wonder why more weren't bought and made. They will look back and say, wow, in 2011 you could buy a pair of these TD-15Ms for only $620/pair!
 
Last edited:
Hey, have we got a CD waveguide that's as little as 5 1/2" high? Because if we do, one solution to the never-ending quest for an e-Wave design with lots of bass would be to start with an EPI-200.

attachment.php


With the passive radiator, is speced down to 34 Hz. Crossed over at 1800.
 

Attachments

  • post-100695-1187474372.jpg
    post-100695-1187474372.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 328
Ok, 150 mm = 5 29/32. Just a tad big probably. Might work if one can overlap the rim of the waveguide and the rim of the woofer just a little.

Appreciate the info. Just a brainstorm I had. Don't have an EPI 200 at hand to measure, just see the tweet cited as 5" diameter overall on that one, and can eyeball a little clearance above and below it.....
 
could make a new baffle board, offsetting the passive down and to one side a little, then the woofer down and to the opposite side a bit, which should give you a good 6" of space for a WG, IIRC there's a 6" dayton one Zilch used on some AR4x econowaves or SA econowaves
 
could make a new baffle board, offsetting the passive down and to one side a little, then the woofer down and to the opposite side a bit, which should give you a good 6" of space for a WG, IIRC there's a 6" dayton one Zilch used on some AR4x econowaves or SA econowaves

Right, but it would be neat to avoid making quite that much of a project out of it, and you're pretty much guaranteed excellent box tuning if you keep the box basically unaltered....
 
I would love to hear how you found the QSC versus the other waveguides.

I cant really compare the QSC against the JBL's because they use different drivers. The B&C driver is such a step up from the Seleniums (IMO) its not really fair to compare them. Additionally, because I always end up giving them away I've never had a chance to do a side by side.

George
 
I cant really compare the QSC against the JBL's because they use different drivers. The B&C driver is such a step up from the Seleniums (IMO) its not really fair to compare them.

Okay. I've got the DE250's and would like to try them with the QSC's. But can you still get the QSCs? Seems they are long gone...

FWIW I used the threaded adaptors from PE to put the DE250s on the original JBL waveguide. Worked fine.
 
This is way out of Econo territory, but has anyone used the AE TD-15M? Awesome 98db//1w/1m 15"! I got a pair to use with 2" compression driver, crossing over at 600-700. I mounted the TD-15Ms in recycled JBL 4846 cabinets (8 cu ft) with one 15" hole and one port covered, and while waiting for some parts I put a pair of Altec 902s on top with wood horns, using a pair of Four Pi crossovers (1600 hz) I built a long time ago. Wow, this is a cool combination, with frankly much more bass than I had with the JBL 2226 in 4 ft cabs.

For current production options, the TD-15Ms are a great choice for a very efficient two-way with plenty of low end, whether you're crossing over to a 1" or 1.4"/2" compression driver.


I have used the TD-15M, DE250 compression, QSC waveguide and Four Pi crossover in a 4 cu. ft. cabinet. Great driver, great bass - my favorite combo so far. Too bad my cabinets were so ugly and had to go. My to do list has making cabinets and PCDing that system.
 
I've got a bit of a project in the works, mating a B&C DE250 to a 15" JBL woofer ("2235E") somewhere in the 1000-1200 hz range. Passive crossover or MiniDSP - haven't decided yet.

I'm not interested in selling my soul for QSC waveguides and am looking around for a suitable substitute 1" throat horn lens.

I keep coming back to the Ewave's JBL PT waveguide (with screw-on adapter) or the RCF H100. I'm a little nervous about crossing either of them over this low. Anyone have any opinions? Are there any other options I should consider?
 
If you are using the 2235 try the <95db crossover for the LE14H.
If I remember correctly xo point was 900 for the woofer for an effective 1200hz xo point. I could be wrong but I think that was it.
 
Back
Top Bottom