• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Zilch's AK Design Collaborative - Econowave Speaker

Got my ewave's almost done. Boy they sure sound good! Have to put bracing inside. I have the wood latice covers but i might make some with cloth. Not sure yet.
ad3af118-ef04-65b7.jpg

Beautiful work Mike. For grills Zilch ditched the wood lattice which is not acoustically transparent and had his local hardware store build up some custom window screens to fit, epoxied some powerful magnets to the corners of the screen and baffle, then wrapped them in JBL blue grill cloth. Unfortunately that blue grill cloth is tough to find. But your local sewing store should have some suitable fabric that should suffice.
 
Would JBL HLS820 floor standers make for a good candidate for ewave? They have two 8's and a poor square tweeter horn that blows easy, maybe change to square waveguide? original crossovers cross at 2600, 9.75" width in front.
 
Beautiful work Mike. For grills Zilch ditched the wood lattice which is not acoustically transparent and had his local hardware store build up some custom window screens to fit, epoxied some powerful magnets to the corners of the screen and baffle, then wrapped them in JBL blue grill cloth. Unfortunately that blue grill cloth is tough to find. But your local sewing store should have some suitable fabric that should suffice.
Hey what's up? I bought window screen kits at Home Depot and they worked fine.

Mike they look great. To add a finishing touch get some black screws for the waveguide.
 
Would JBL HLS820 floor standers make for a good candidate for ewave? They have two 8's and a poor square tweeter horn that blows easy, maybe change to square waveguide? original crossovers cross at 2600, 9.75" width in front.

I don't know anything about that speaker. But somehow that won't stop me from posting.

Check this out, Zilch used the a JBL 8" x 8" waveguide and a Selenium D220Ti driver, the EWave driver. I guarantee you won't blow that. (No guarantees. )
But that is optimized as a system for the AR4x woofer.

Econowave 4x
 
Parham

Wayne Parham just posted a very succinct, comprehensive set of Notes for the DIYer over at his forum.

He addresses crossovers, box tuning, baffle step, room modes, waveguide size and directivity and provides more in-depth links. Great reading as usual.
 
Last edited:
I don't know anything about that speaker. But somehow that won't stop me from posting.

Same here. I would assume the bottom half is fine and look at how to upgrade the top half. The JBL 6x6 waveguide is another choice. Zilch mentions JBL used a 2.4 kHz XO in one system that uses it so that might be
something to try if you want to leave the woofer crossover section intact.

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/showthread.php?p=1647899#post1647899

Can you dig up a crossover schematic of the original? I would be curious to see if it is a 2.5 way design.
 
Hey what's up? I bought window screen kits at Home Depot and they worked fine.

Mike they look great. To add a finishing touch get some black screws for the waveguide.

:wave: Hey Duffy! I'll have to try the screen kits on my upcoming Barziwave knockoffs. Home Depot's grow everywhere these days...
 
Econowave V.1.1 PC Board HookUp Instructions/Large Advent

Finally getting around to these after 2+ years. Zilch had such detailed instructions with these, it would be nice to have a copy. I assybeld one board right away, and looks like I installed all three jumpers J1-J3. Hopefully this is correct.
Not sure about the LP connections.
Anyway if someone has a copy they could they could post or e-mail me, it would be much apprectiated-it would be nice to review the instructions so I can get a feel what was going on.
Thanks
 
Last edited:
The SD of the Dayton DC300 is 498 cm2. The driver's T/S suggest a closed box but we all know that doesn't work if bass extension is desired. I'll model this up in Unibox for you and see if i can find a nice tradeoff box size between extension and power handling. Something to consider.....this driver's coil inductance (Le) is very high for a woofer, especially one that's being asked to play this high up the FR. It's in box response has an even greater need for BSC than most 12" drivers making this woofer very inefficient given the design. Although it's been used in a lot of Ewave designs, there's MUCH better candidates in the 12" category.
 
Finally getting around to these after 2+ years. Zilch had such detailed instructions with these, it would be nice to have a copy. I assybeld one board right away, and looks like I installed all three jumpers J1-J3. Hopefully this is correct.
Not sure about the LP connections.
Anyway if someone has a copy they could they could post or e-mail me, it would be much apprectiated-it would be nice to review the instructions so I can get a feel what was going on.
Thanks

I can scan it and email it to you. PM me your Email address.
 
almost there from a different view ....

b&c de200 with a 600hz tractrix instead of a waveguide .... and deltalite ii 2510 ..., zilch's xo pcb, and a great help from pcd ...

got to play a little more with drivers geometry - take some measurements and fine tune the values of the various parts of the xo...

sounds great as it is but I think that there is room for improvement .... actually there always is .....


zilch did an awesome project ..... :thmbsp:
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2594A.jpg
    IMG_2594A.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_2593A.JPG
    IMG_2593A.JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 87
EconoWave console in progress...

I think this might be a first for the Ewave scene, an Econowave console!

After much experimentation I have discovered a console really works best in my living room. In the garage/studio I can get a little crazier:D

This will be the Standard Econowave with 3 Cu ft cabinets. Right now I have the substructure built by joining my two cabinets with 1" angle iron. The console is "largish" at 80" long but only about 13" deep so it hugs the wall a little better than the Motorola console I am currently using. For now (and maybe permanently) the power will be supplied by a Hitachi HA-1100 integrated amplifier.

Next I will be coating the rest of the cabinetry in flat black and installing drivers and crossovers. After that I will begin making panels/grilles that attach magnetically to the steel runners. I think I am also going to make a couple of light bezels with led strip lights that light the face of the components when the doors are opened.

I'll probably start a thread in the DIY section to further document my progress but I thought you guys might get a chuckle out of this.

IMG_2732.jpg
 
I think this might be a first for the Ewave scene, an Econowave console!

After much experimentation I have discovered a console really works best in my living room. In the garage/studio I can get a little crazier:D

This will be the Standard Econowave with 3 Cu ft cabinets. Right now I have the substructure built by joining my two cabinets with 1" angle iron. The console is "largish" at 80" long but only about 13" deep so it hugs the wall a little better than the Motorola console I am currently using. For now (and maybe permanently) the power will be supplied by a Hitachi HA-1100 integrated amplifier.

Next I will be coating the rest of the cabinetry in flat black and installing drivers and crossovers. After that I will begin making panels/grilles that attach magnetically to the steel runners. I think I am also going to make a couple of light bezels with led strip lights that light the face of the components when the doors are opened.

I'll probably start a thread in the DIY section to further document my progress but I thought you guys might get a chuckle out of this.

IMG_2732.jpg


Sweet!!!

A 2011 vintage Ewave console!! Zilch would be proud!!:D

:banana::banana::banana::banana:
 
Back
Top Bottom