• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Zilch's AK Design Collaborative - Econowave Speaker

It is the Dayton Classic 12" woofer, definitely "Econo" @ 40 dollars. I just couldn't swallow the Eminence price tags. The boxes are almost the same size as the PE trapezoid cab that Zilch used for several designs.
 
Hi Everyone, - I am a diy newbie, and I am wanting to build some Econowave Deluxe speakers, but I am wanting an Econowave with Higher efficeincy - ( It is VERY important to me to replace my speakers with some around 100db ) - I heard some econowaves and liked them alot ! ... am I understanding the basics of this design allow you to drop in another woofer , then change - tweak the resistor values to match the woofers that you have ??? Basically I wanted to use woofers that are much more efficeint - some around 100 db . . . . Will this work with some small adjustments ??? _ Thank You for any help, Sincerely, dean
 
Hi hallcon, very few woofers are actually that efficient. Many pro woofers claim to be, but if you look at the actual response you'll see they are counting a response peak that you can't actually use. Do you have one in mind?
edit: P.S. the "Deluxe HO" should be around 98dB, if that'll do, but neo driver prices are still about double what they were: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/showthread.php?p=1632351#post1632351
 
Last edited:
Dayton 12" WG + Selenium D220Ti

I tried Dayton 12" + D220Ti. They measure excellent and the sonics is better than square WG, I think. The square WG sometimes sounded "pinched" to me and it might be due to the too-narrow vertical dispersion (?).

The expected round wg dip is evident although not as pronounced as Oblate spheroid I measured few times before. So there is a little diffraction within the contour. The good thing is it's listenable on-axis although I toe them about 10deg. Just in case :)


NORMALISED

hYQBM.png


kxmIx.png



NON NORMALISED

WsNXp.png


MNTMF.png



Current developmental setup!

zHRHy.jpg



No, it's not a TMT :D
 
Gainphile, what are we looking at? Verticals for just the tweeter? Horizontal? You would expect less vertical dispersion than the rectangular waveguide with both drivers playing, not more. You would get some new secondary lobes off-axis, presumably.
 
How do you generate directivity plots like that using Arta? I don't recall mine having that option.

Yes, ARTA. It's Tools > Directivity pattern.

I have my ARTA licensed, not sure if that would make a difference (I know the trial version cannot save files... which the directivity plotter needs).
 
Gainphile, what are we looking at? Verticals for just the tweeter? Horizontal? You would expect less vertical dispersion than the rectangular waveguide with both drivers playing, not more. You would get some new secondary lobes off-axis, presumably.

Yes, just the tweeter's vertical directivity.

I am aware of the larger CTC distance by using round waveguide and hence lobes.
 
Anyone build with Parts Express' QSC PL-000446GP Replacement Waveguide Horn for HPR152i yet?

245-625_l.jpg


I wonder how it measures...

Isn't that just the same as the QSC waveguide from when you could order it direct?

I've built a pair with those, I'm sure at least a dozen other people have as well, unless these are different.
 
Hey there Niklas,

Before you go wandering off the beaten track reinventing the wheel, check out all these clear, concise, working Econowave builds that Zilch developed and documented over here on Parts Express:

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/showthread.php?t=215536&page=1

I would suggest building whichever one you can build for the least amount of money--no need to go crazy and build the most expensive one. The Standard Econowave ROCKS.

I'm not really sure where you'll be able to source parts from in Sweden though...

Chris

Hello!

Has anybody used the Celestion CDX-1 1745 tweeter with the http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=245-625 horn?
If so, where can I get details about the crossover? If not, what else do you recommend?

I have decided to go with the Eminence Delta 12A woofer. What box shall I put it in?
For bass-reinforcement I'll add a pair of subwoofers that will take care of like 80Hz and down.
 
Hey Byrd,

Can we really trust that it is identical? I'm just wondering if anyone has taken the plunge yet..

"Econowave DIY speaker builders and fans rejoice! After nearly a year of intense negotiations, QSC has allowed Parts Express to become the exclusive distributor of the famed PL-000446GP horn found in the HPR152i and HPR152F 15" 2-way full-range powered speakers. The 90° x 60° waveguide is designed to be used with 1" bolt-on compression drivers such as the B&C DE200-8 or B&C DE250-8, and allows crossover points as low as 1,000 Hz due to how it loads the driver, resulting in amazing off-axis power response. Dimensions: 14" W x 10" H x 5.5" D. Includes gasket. Supply is limited so act fast!"
 
After nearly a year of intense negotiations, QSC has allowed Parts Express to become the exclusive distributor of the famed PL-000446GP horn found in the HPR152i and HPR152F 15" 2-way full-range powered speakers.
I can't help but find that funny. I mean really, a year of intense negotiations? The price isn't even good. I'm thinking the "intense negotiations" involved mostly having emails and phone calls ignored by QSC.
 
Back
Top Bottom