• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Stuff will always break...

Register to hide this ad
I have a sad unfortunate Infinity Black Widow here broken. Delicate arms. Hate to see such a travesty.
 
I shipped this to a buyer and it was fine, I pack very well too? So I am trying to figure out how this was done? I filed the usual claim, etc. My 1st damage in over 2 years of shipping.


Thanks,
John.
 
Last edited:
It happened when the box took a big drop to a hard surface on the end that would allow the counterweight to bend the arm that way.

Since the vintage gear was new, the distance traveled by an errant package slipping off a belt has risen by a significant amount. Drops of over 20 feet are probably within the realm of possibilities and I doubt any tonearm with the weight attached (most P4 mounts mostly) will suffer when this happens. It shouldn't. Good luck with the claim.
 
Last edited:
It happened when the box to a big drop to a hard surface on the end that would allow the counterweight to bend the arm that way.

Since the vintage gear was new, the distance traveled by an errant package slipping off a belt has risen by a significant amount. Drops of over 20 feet are probably within the realm of possibilities and I doubt any tonearm with the weight attached (most P4 mounts mostly) will suffer when this happens. It shouldn't. Good luck with the claim.

I agree this is what probably happened...

When shipping TT's, ALWAYS remove the weight and the headshell and pack them seperate in the box.
 
OK.. didn't know that.

In that case, it's best to support those parts with foam or styrofoam under and around them, and tape down very well.
 
Looks familiar...

In my case,

heavy counterweight left attached
+ over-zealous shrink wrap job
+ rough USPS ride
= door stop

:sigh:
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6095.JPG
    IMG_6095.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_6097.JPG
    IMG_6097.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 187
I've seen so many cracked dust covers from bad packaging. No wonder (thieves) sellers get $100+ for remakes on eBay.

Sad.
 
OK.. didn't know that.

In that case, it's best to support those parts with foam or styrofoam under and around them, and tape down very well.

I had the whole side of the tonearm protected by styrofoam? The box had no outside visible damage? So the question is still how did this happen. The TT was secured from movement, and there was at least 2-3 inch space around the whole thing.???
Oh well...

I am baffled..

Thanks,
John.:music::D
 
Last edited:
You should have put a block of styrofoam under the weight, and even along the sides of the weight, then taped the weight and foam to the base.

Also a block of foam near the head end of the arm and also taped to the base.

This way if the table were to take a hard hit, the weight wouldn't want to keep moving, and have the inertia to break like it did. It would be supported and held in place.
 
I had a similar problem with a Pioneer PL-530 that I restored and sold on Ebay. The buyer said something wasn't right with the table. It was clear from a phone conversation that he knew nothing about turntables. So, I had him send it back and gave him a refund.

When I got it back the tonearm mount was broken (weak spot on the PL-530). Then I noticed the index line on the arm, used to set zero and tracking force, was now on the bottom of the arm. It took some force to turn it back to the top. That's probably how he broke the mount. I have no clue what he was trying to do.

You may have been the victim of a clueless, ham handed buyer, as I was.

Jon
 
I forgot to mention that I now send Emails to buyers cautioning that the table has been partially disassembled for shipping and if they aren't familiar with set-up, or have problems they should contact me. I also include an owners manual with TTs I sell, if one is available. Haven't had any problems since.

Jon
 
I have been very lucky with the turntables I have shipped, and a little unlucky with stuff I bought. I get really pissed off now when I email the sellers offering to pay extra for input on the shipping, and get wrecked stuff with a bucks worth of packing peanuts in the dustcover. I just got a Dual 1214 off a bozo just like that, tonearm toast. I gave up on the thing as it is too far gone.

I have had great luck with the US Post Office, and had some amazing destruction of old guitars by FedEx. I avoid them entirely now. Same thing as the Technics: you can't figure how they did it. The box was intact, so they must have just tossed them a good distance on end to get that kind of force inside.
 
Back in May I got a Technics SL1200Mk2 from a business seller on Ebay. I told them to secure the arm and all the other things. When it arrived the arm (which was a good quality arm) had been swinging all over the place and when I tried it there was one hell of crackle coming out of the speakers. I contacted the seller and the unit was returned and I got a full refund. Completely gutted though!

Why the bloody hell can't people pack these things properly?????:thumbsdn::thumbsdn:
 
Back
Top Bottom