• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Custom 620 cabinets for some Altec 605B

Wardsweb

Behind The Curtain
Staff member
Admin
I'm building these for Watt in Austin. I hope he likes them. The front baffle is recessed. The grills fit in that recess.

carter1.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
This gives you an idea what the internal construction looks like. This was taken during testing and before I finished putting in the back mounting blocks.

internals.jpg
 
That's awesome. I have something similar in mind for my Tannoys, but I don't know if my woodworking skills are up to the task.

Are the braces just glued in place, or do they have some sort of fasteners holding them in?
 
That's awesome. I have something similar in mind for my Tannoys, but I don't know if my woodworking skills are up to the task.

Are the braces just glued in place, or do they have some sort of fasteners holding them in?

Everything is glued and air nailed.
 
Those are nice...did he give you specs/dimensions?

He gave the me drivers and let me run a muck. The base design is the 620 cabinet. I modified to take into account I wanted to recess the front baffle and use dual front ports like found in a different Altec design. That and I wanted a totally different internal bracing design.
 
gorgeous work man... :yes:

I am so stuck trying to decide between the 620 and 606 design for my 604's. I know the 620's would be easier, the 606's would fit my room and purpose better. Arrgh, one of these days
 
Last edited:
Watt let me know when would be a good time to work out the crossovers and about bringing these to your place. I've got the stock crossovers in now.

diningroom080512.jpg
 
Tsk, tsk on me for letting this thread get by without comment.

I'll message you, Luther, about a time. I've got to get the parade route ready. :)
 
Looking extremely good- probably sounding even better!!! Congrats on a well done project!
DC
 
Zow!

watt, yer a lucky bastid, you know that?!

I was hoping for a you suck.

But, yeah, I know it. When wardsweb and I were corresponding, initially, about the design of the cabs, he told me that he'd found an admiring 2- or 3-year-old comment I made in someone else's thread on a 604 project. That gave him some ideas about the direction of the design. He doesn't only have woodworking skills, man, he has mind-reading skills. :)
 
Back
Top Bottom