• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Custom 620 cabinets for some Altec 605B

Is it fair game to mix oil caps with film ones in the same crossover, or do you generally choose one or the other?

I'd feel fine mixing them, but I'm really just the lucky owner here. What knowledge I had about these crossovers just came from reading around and experimenting with a few different combinations. If I remember correctly, some recipes were pretty specific about the type/brand of capacitor, but I was so happy with the results of the first iteration of the markwart I built that I pretty much stopped there.

Full disclosure: these speakers have been in dry dock, so to speak, as I've moved around over the past couple of years (with no room to accommodate them). But I just moved into a house and regained a listening room, so I'm thrilled to know that I'll get to listen to them soon. Thanks again, Luther!
 
Well, I've never built capacitors and have limited time on my hands with a restaurant and new kid not sure this is the time for me to start out on my own. I do however have a cabinet shop and am a comfortable woodworker. I am going to pretty much copy and paste as a starting point then maybe play around with xover as I have time. In any case, very excited for this project. Very different setup from my current systems. I have a pair of jbl l112's running off of 300 solid state watts and a pair of cornwalls running off of a vintage pioneer sx amp, looking forward to some altec sound!
 
Back
Top Bottom