• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Custom 620 cabinets for some Altec 605B

Your wood work is second to none phenomenal. Your friend is a lucky man.
 
That's really cool. And those speakers are gorgeous.

Thanks, Nate. They sounded good to me for the little while I listened to them, before the veneer went on and everything. And that was with the stock crossover. I've worked up the markwart crossover--and I've got a Texas-grown recipe for another that I'm looking forward to trying, as soon as I gather the parts.
 
I was hoping for a you suck.

But, yeah, I know it. When wardsweb and I were corresponding, initially, about the design of the cabs, he told me that he'd found an admiring 2- or 3-year-old comment I made in someone else's thread on a 604 project. That gave him some ideas about the direction of the design. He doesn't only have woodworking skills, man, he has mind-reading skills. :)

I consider myself an enabler helping others to achieve their goals. I think you now qualify. So...



YOU SUCK!


Welcome to the club.
 
Those are beautiful Luther. How did you arrive at the vent dimension?

I used software that you put in the dimensions, board thickness, port type (round, rectangle, single, etc...) and it gives you port length and tuning point. By playing with the numbers, I can work out what I want the final product to be.
 
I used software that you put in the dimensions, board thickness, port type (round, rectangle, single, etc...) and it gives you port length and tuning point. By playing with the numbers, I can work out what I want the final product to be.

I'm just surprised you had the specs for those drivers. Man. I'd love to compare those to the 604's :)
 
Whoa, those are awesome! Do you have any pictures of the crossovers you ended up going with on these?

I actually tried a few different crossovers--the markwart with and without MF compensation, and one suggested by a local speaker builder. I ened up going with the markwart with MF comp. I don't have any pics at the moment, but if you need some instruction, I can help.
 
I actually tried a few different crossovers--the markwart with and without MF compensation, and one suggested by a local speaker builder. I ened up going with the markwart with MF comp. I don't have any pics at the moment, but if you need some instruction, I can help.

Do you remember what parts you used? I noticed that the recommended capacitors are no longer in production. Also, did you mount your crossovers in the speakers or outside?
 
I didn't use anything too fancy: Jantzen air core inductor for the 2.5mH, Erse iron core for the 4.8mH inductor, a Kimbercap for the 5uF cap, and Solen for the 4.7uF cap. That was when I started out building the version of the xover with no MF compensation. When I added those components, I think I threw in some of the Audyn caps offered by Parts Express.

I told myself, when I built the first version, that I'd eventually fancy it up, or at least try some oil-filled caps. Since getting it up and running, though, I've enjoyed listening so much that I haven't gone back to experiment. But now you've got me thinking . . .

Yep, I mounted mine inside the cabs. If you're going to roll a few different components through there, though, making them outboard would probably simplify the process.
 
Last edited:
Great thread - what beautiful speakers those are!

I'm looking to build this Markwart with MF pot crossover, and I'm wondering about using a Obligatto film oil for the 4.7uf cap (and maybe for the 5uf cap?), and 6.8uf for the 7uf cap. I'm trying to find good quality caps without going too crazy on the price. Is it fair game to mix oil caps with film ones in the same crossover, or do you generally choose one or the other?
 
Last edited:
Hope this thread is still active, or that we can re-activate. Just picked up a pair of 605b's locally for $500 and the stock cabs just aren't going to cut it. Neither is the xover as it is trashed anyhow, why rebuild when you can start fresh? Anyhow, I'll throw up a couple of pics of the naked drivers before we start getting them dressed
 
I have heard these speakers. They are some of the best sounding speakers I have ever heard. Gorgeous natural and complex midrange representation. Instruments floating in mid air. Very impressive. I have not seen or heard from Watt in quite a while. He is a published poet and teaches somewhere in the Chapel Hill area. No longer in Austin. I'll drop him a line and give him a heads up about this thread.
 
Awesome! Really stoked on these. I might have a couple questions on the x-over so would be great to be able to pick his brain.
 
Back
Top Bottom