• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

sx-780

  1. merlynski

    SX-780 Refurb BOM to vet

    I have assembled a BOM for the AF board (GWK-118 only) in the SX-780 for vetting if anyone is willing to look it over. It is not intended to include the STK0050s, the protection relay, front panel controls or the Tuner board parts. I have collected these from multiple posts and old lists on...
  2. Kingbleu

    Pioneer SX-780 need help signal tracing. Powers on no sound. Darlington packs are good.

    I have a Pioneer SX-780 that powers up but produces no sound and no relay click. The STK's (Darlington power packs) are good. I would like some help tracing the signal. I have test equipment that I have picked up over the years. Mostly at garage sales or Craigslist. I have two SX-780's one...
  3. mykidsbutler

    SX-780 unsteady DC Balance

    Working on a SX-780. Originally had a lot of distortion. Deox’t. Did a recap and replaced some transistors. Everything I have done has improved the distortion to the point were it is barely noticeable. Last thing I did today was to recheck the DC balance. The balance now swings anywhere from 30...
  4. merlynski

    SX-780 project: relay question - resolved

    I am working on an SX-780 that I had happily playing in my motor vehicle (hobby) repair shop for many years. It began having a flaky left channel, then quit completely. I put in an SX-650 I had on hand as it replacement. I am now in the middle of the SX-780 repair. Somebody in the past...
  5. C

    SX-780 Protection Relay Chatters on Startup

    Hello, I have a Pioneer SX-780 that I bought new in 1980 and worked well through the late 90's when it was relegated to a closet. I have since dug it out and I am using it in my office where it works beautifully except for one issue that is more bothersome than anything. On startup the...
  6. T

    Pioneer SX-780 Powers On, No Sound

    Good day Audiokarma, Recently bought an SX-780 for little to nothing knowing it was dead and was wondering if I could get it working, however I don't know where to start. The symptoms I see so far are: - After power on there is no relay click at all from the protection circuit - The lights...
  7. C

    SX-780 - Counterfeit Darlingtons?

    I have a Pioneer SX-780 that was blowing a main fuse (#4 - 4A I believe). I removed the power wires going to the Darlington outputs, replaced the fuse and the unit powered on and lit up AND the speaker relay clicks. Great, right? So, I went to eBay and bought some replacement STK-0050's ($15...
  8. cwh

    Component replacement challange, informed upgrades to an Sx, paging Leestereo

    Currently a parts changing enthusiast who is slowly going down the road to audio electronics proficiency. Or at least "I fix more than I destroy." I just pulled down from the shelf an SX-780 project that's been waiting for a rebuild. Forgot how clean it is, pleasant surprise. Worthy of...
  9. S

    SX-780 Resistors

    I have a project of restoring my SX-780 in which I am in no hurry to complete, just having fun doing so. I am concentrating on my Tuner assembly board first. I got this receiver from someone in Texas, I took a photo of it, notice how dirty the board is, at first I thought that was dust, but it...
  10. M

    magic fingers

    I have a question about a Pioneer SX-780. I checked one out that a guy was selling on Craigslist for 175 Firm. It appeared to be functioning correctly, but when the tuner was on (FM) and I touched the top or back of the unit, the reception would cut out for a second or two. Actually, I could...
  11. B

    New SX-780! Metallica killed (most) all of it : (

    So, I pick up a Pioneer SX-780 the other day on the side of the road for $10! Score right! Well, I take it home, plugged it up, hook a lamp cord to the antenna connections and by gosh the dang thing worked....well even! So...the radio got old quick, and I had this Gerrard turn table with a...
  12. R

    STK-0050 replacement for SX-780 and others

    Their has been a bit of interest for a replacement of what was the original Sanyo STK-0050 module used in a SX-780 receiver. Many question the integrity of what can be obtained these days as STK-0050 modules. I decided instead of sending these files to individuals or trying to make a buck from...
  13. Bigreddog

    newby here from MS

    Greetings all from the state of Mississippi! I just recently found this forum while researching/shopping for a vintage stereo receiver and turntable. A little history: I purchased my first system at age 13 from Randy Hooper at Hooper Sound in Meridian, MS in 1978. Here is the setup including...
  14. T

    Lights up, but no sound from Pioneer SX-780

    when i got home earlier today i went to listen to a record i got in. the receiver was working fine, besides the right speaker was only making a distorted static noise. i then turned the receiver off and checked the wires on both sides. when i turned it back on there was no sound at all. i don't...
  15. Germ_nation

    SX-780 losing left channel

    I acquired this receiver about a month ago and immediately opened it up and did a deoxit cleaning. The past couple days I have started to lose the left channel. At first I thought it was just happening through the phono but now it's starting to happen on the aux also. It sounds like static or a...
  16. SX-780

    SX-780

    Pioneer SX-780 with new wood Case.
  17. Old school is the best

    Old school is the best

    Pioneer SX-780 found on Ebay for $59.00. Intermittent operation but cosmetically nice. Found a cold solder joint on a voltage regulator. Replaced the component and resoldered. Cleaned, deoxit, tuned DC voltages, set meter's according to manual and Bada Boom!.. MUSIC. Not just music but...
  18. Poor man's pleasure

    Poor man's pleasure

    My computer room listening. Pioneer SX-780 (fixed myself), CS-88A's (Epay special), Sony walkman source.
  19. My Room

    My Room

    1976 Klipsch La Scala speakers Pioneer SX-780 Receiver Pioneer PL50 Shure M44E Pioneer CT-F9191 Cassette Jensen TF-3 speakers Teac A-2070 Reel Teac AN-300 Noise reduction
  20. My poor lonely SX-780

    My poor lonely SX-780

Back
Top Bottom