Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html
Acquired this baby a few weeks ago and immediately started to clean out 50+ years of grime and dirt...the floor of inside the console had a few millimeters of yuck!
This is one of the better RCA consoles, it has a decent amp, decent iron in it, and decent size speakers in it. The later models got cost cut a great deal, and less nice.
Got the new caps in, follow youtube instructions by just cutting the leads to the CAN and J-hook in the new caps.
All the resistors are in spec except that big one in the upper right grounded to the frame; the schematic calls for 68 ohms (4 band Blue, grey, black and silver) my in circuit reading was 83 ohms ....not sure if this would be an issue?
Recapping done! ...
Connected my antique iPod with a makeshift connected and I am amaze at the output of the little amp (my wife and son thought I bought new equipment!)
The bass is full and thumping ( remind me of those old jukeboxes that use to make my chest vibrate when I go looking for my father in the rum bar...lol)
No hum but the treble is no-existent. The tweeters connections are just breaking off in my hand with the lightest touch ..bummer
The 12" really produce a full sound however.
Next
1. replace the tweeter caps and tweeters
2. Repair the Studiomatic RP218 Turntable
2.1 The turntable is not spinning
2.2 The cartridge was replace before with a Astatic 487 but the little tiny plastic pick up bridge just disintegrate when I flip the needle. Replacing with off-the-market a ceramic cartridge ( I bought a magnetic cartridge and PreAmp as second option)
3. Test with https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pav2f4b-1ZE
The usual problems are petrified grease and bad idler wheels but some machines have other specific issues. I've never been into one of the RCA machines so no idea if it has particular quirks.
All right! got some work done.....
I rebuilt the bad idler wheel, the rubber on the wheel was perished so I super glued rubber from a section of o-rings I have laying around. After bit of sanding I got it down to near specs : 2.1 inch diameter. Works wonderful at 45 and 33 RPM!
Replace the the old paper tweeters with some piezo horn tweeter and I am back in business!
Update the indicator light with 6V AC/DC Led
She plays beautifully now
...oh and I also replace that orange Cap....there was an annoying crackle/scream that come and goes during the first few minutes after start up.
OK, I am back it it again. After months of glorious music and a half a dozen of birthday parties, I began to shake down the console. The turn table froze and away it goes out of the console!
The AM/FM tuners as weak as they were, provided some amusement and they quickly melted into the past.
New project : extract the preamp and it associated controls i.e. volume,balance,bass and treble
Here is the result after I physically cut the circuit from the console main board
I temporary hooked it up and get it working! (..after several hours of trial by fire and some frustrations)
I always wondered about those RCA 12 inch speakers. They look very very similar to the RCA SL-12 speakers which are pretty highly regarded. I bet they sound very nice.
I always wondered about those RCA 12 inch speakers. They look very very similar to the RCA SL-12 speakers which are pretty highly regarded. I bet they sound very nice.