• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

2017/18 Nissan Rogue...to buy or not to buy?

Quadman2

Lunatic Member
Considering picking up a Nissan Rogue and wondering if others have got one. Content with it? Under powered? Reliable?

A good buy? Which model to go with? Or a Morano for more $$$$?

Or not?

Q
 
Register to hide this ad
No experience here but Consumer Reports gives it 4/5 for reliability and 2/5 for owner satisfaction. They seem to like the Subaru Forrester, Hyundai Santa Fe and Toyota RAV4 a lot more.
 
Look at the underside at the rear and check the condition of the subframe. My stepson owns a Morano Sport and the subframe was rotted out so bad it couldn't be driven because it wore the tires out in no time and they are pricey.

Pretty much all Nissan's are known to have major rust issues. I own a 03 Sentra and personally, I'll never buy another Nissan.
 
Friends wife has one.Zero issues ,cvt works just fine and always has.I believe hers is a 2011 to 2013 area and id defy you to find any rust issues with it and it lives outside year round.
 
The CVT will cost at least $4500 US (plus install ) as they don't rebuild them.

If people boycott them maybe they will quit making them.
 
Thanks for the shares to date.:thumbsup:

Personally, I want the SO to go with the Forester, as I've an Impreza, the 5th Sube in a row. All my Subarus went over 400km without a hitch, save couple of CV joints (stick shifters) and a water pump. But she's fighting me on this one as she doesn't like the interior of the Forester.:rolleyes:(SIGH)

Want to stay within the 2017/18 times, and after looking at the Morano, not sure if it is worth that xtra $$$ which is considerable when considering the two models.

Q
 
When they first came out cvt trannys had issues such as belt stretching but now some can be adjusted .Any neutral and objective readings ive looked at say their just as reliable as your normal auto and are gaining in popularity as the issues have mostly been ironed out .For efficiency and fuel economy they are tops for smaller vehicles.At one time auto trannys were not trusted and were unreliable also .Now id say their accepted without question by the vast majority of vehicle owners.
 
They don't use CVT's in vehicles used for towing or HD use as they can't take it plus when they do fail they cost 3 times as much as a regular AT to replace. It's all about $ as the companies using them just want to make more $ for themselves and their dealers.
 
Were talking about Nissan rouge or the likes Shadowdog not trucks .As for cost like anything the more there are the cheaper they become except for iphones:).Not sure which small car or suv it is but theres one now that uses a mech 1st gear then switches over to cvt .I tow so I made sure the suv I bought had a 6 speed auto.2013 ford edge 3.5 n/a v6 .Tows anything I have easily and im within tow ratings .I really liked the hyundia kona but it cant tow a mountain bike ,lol.Your in Canada so id guess just like here used trucks might as well be gold plated for the prices they demand and new diamond plated!:jump:My dads uncle lives in your burg im sure.I lived in the peg in the early seventies.Whats the cost of gas up there?
 
Thanks for the shares to date.:thumbsup:

Personally, I want the SO to go with the Forester, as I've an Impreza, the 5th Sube in a row. All my Subarus went over 400km without a hitch, save couple of CV joints (stick shifters) and a water pump. But she's fighting me on this one as she doesn't like the interior of the Forester.:rolleyes:(SIGH)

Want to stay within the 2017/18 times, and after looking at the Morano, not sure if it is worth that xtra $$$ which is considerable when considering the two models.

Q
If a spare tire is important to you, make sure it has one (most 4wd and tow package SUV's have one).

My father in law bought a 017 Jeep Cherokee and it came with run flat tires, a can of fix a flat, and an air pump (no spare tire, lug wrench and jack were included). He's now asking me where he can get the wheel, lug wrench and jack, and it's going to be tough to find those items due to how new the vehicle is and I'm thinking he'll have to go to the dealer to get them.

This may not be the case with foreign vehicles, it's something the EPA came up with thinking dropping the weight of hauling the spare tire around would make a vehicle run more efficient and lower emissions.
 
Not sure if it would be an issue with this vehicle or not, but Nissan has had issues with their timing chain guides on their engines. Actually there is a Class action lawsuit against them for this issue, and there is another one being started for their CVT transmissions. I was thinking of buying a Nissian Titan, but decided against it for the timing chain issues.

Cheers
Mister Pig
 
I'm looking pretty heavily at the Mazda CX-5 myself. The 5's appear to have pretty good reliability according to Consumer Reports. The 7s & 9s have decent ratings but not as good as the 5.
 
Nissan and Mazda both are not as good as they once were. With that, if you can get either in a manual, that eliminates a few problems right away. Also avoid turbos, if at all possible.
 
I've been told by local shops that Toyotas and Hondas are your best bets. I've also been looking at the Honda CR-Vs as well.

Just haven't been real fond of the Rav 4 redesign lately.
 
I've been told by local shops that Toyotas and Hondas are your best bets. I've also been looking at the Honda CR-Vs as well.

Just haven't been real fond of the Rav 4 redesign lately.
Rav 4 would be my choice over all others, but that's just me.
 
2011etec.

I know some one that got burned on a CVT 4 yrs. ago. The CVT's are all for very light duty use also (so not very sturdy) is what I mean as the manufactures that use them are greedy & after big profits.

The Fords , GM, & Jeep SUV don't use them and I like what I've heard about the late

Jeep Wrangler's in the last decade around here reliability wise and the owner's I ask about them really like them and recommend them. They have solid axles so no rubber boots and CV joints, making them easy to repair and less costly in the long run. They aren't bad on gas either.

Reg. gas was recently 107.9 /L but just jumped 5 cents! Diesel is about 20 cents more /L but about 2 yrs. go started getting a bit cheaper than reg. gas in the summer
 
Last edited:
Were talking about Nissan rouge or the likes Shadowdog not trucks .As for cost like anything the more there are the cheaper they become except for iphones:).Not sure which small car or suv it is but theres one now that uses a mech 1st gear then switches over to cvt .I tow so I made sure the suv I bought had a 6 speed auto.2013 ford edge 3.5 n/a v6 .Tows anything I have easily and im within tow ratings .I really liked the hyundia kona but it cant tow a mountain bike ,lol.Your in Canada so id guess just like here used trucks might as well be gold plated for the prices they demand and new diamond plated!:jump:My dads uncle lives in your burg im sure.I lived in the peg in the early seventies.Whats the cost of gas up there?




Gasoline too freakin' high...$1.12 litre. But get a vet discount...three cents off/L...saved 80 cents this day. BD!

Q
 
Not sure if it would be an issue with this vehicle or not, but Nissan has had issues with their timing chain guides on their engines. Actually there is a Class action lawsuit against them for this issue, and there is another one being started for their CVT transmissions. I was thinking of buying a Nissian Titan, but decided against it for the timing chain issues.

Cheers
Mister Pig




Got an 05 X-Trail, it compares to Xterra...X-Trails only found in Can/Australia/UK and S. Africa. Looks like an mil vehicle, and runs like one, but have had no prob with timing chain with 180km/108k miles on it. Did phone at the 150km, but service said there's been no prob with them. Mind you I think this SUV comes from Japan.

JTS, will do a follow up on that "class action" mention.:thumbsup:

Q
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom