• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

2017 Sansui Serial Number Database

Good to know. Thanks, gents! I'm trying to locate it on the rear panel, but I can't seem to find it. I'll keep checking.
 
Do Sansui serial numbers appear anywhere OTHER than on the rear panel? TIA...

If you're looking for a serial number on a piece of equipment, know that the glue holding the sticker in place can dry up in 50 or 60 years. The sticker can just fall off. If you're looking at a model from 1965 or later, the serial number sticker location can be found by looking at pictures of an identical unit on the internet. If yours is not in that spot it has likely been lost. Older Sansui items from the 1950s are more non-standardized and may pose a problem. I harvest numbers for the database and would say about 20% of the units I see appear to have lost their stickers. (Including the sticker off my own amp which I happened to record before it was lost).
 
I concur. Sometimes they just fall off and that is not always obvious as glue residue may be hard to spot. Also, serial stickers can be put on many different locations even for identical models.
 
I agree, that's probably what's happened. I acquired this TU-919 a few years ago and never noticed that it didn't have a serial number until I saw this thread. I've owned and enjoyed a number of Sansui pieces over the years, but this is currently the only Sansui piece I own, so I had nothing else against which to compare it. I was going to add this unit's S.N. to the database, which is why I inquired about finding it somewhere else on the chassis or in the interior. What are your recommendations for the best way to uniquely I.D. my tuner? I keep an inventory with S.N's for insurance purposes, so I need to have SOMETHING to fulfill that function. TIA, for all the great advice!
 
In addition to the back or side panel, wood case or box, the serial number also appears on the warranty card. Unfortunately, like the box, the warranty card is usually lost to history. They are also sometimes removed for nefarious purposes, to make the unit untraceable.

508060280

You put in the put in the AU-X201i in the December '24 batch. Any chance you have a photo?

@Monicker1, as always, thanks! I have yours too and made note of the AU-9900A.

- Pete
 
You put in the put in the AU-X201i in the December '24 batch. Any chance you have a photo?


- Pete
Nope, sorry Pete. The offer is gone on kleinanzeigen. So most probably sold (or not sold and ad gets deleted after 6 months if it isn't prolonged by the user).
 
My harvest for WK22:
CD-570M,0390302893,catawiki.com
SC-1330,259090313,catawiki.com
771,814070121,marktplaats.nl
AU-117,828060361,marktplaats.nl
AU-217,838112311,marktplaats.nl
AU-217,848080346,marktplaats.nl
AU-517,247062319,marktplaats.nl
AU-555,019100356,marktplaats.nl
AU-555A,831012465,marktplaats.nl
AU-5900,836030434,marktplaats.nl
AU-5900,247020537,marktplaats.nl
AU-719,229060839,marktplaats.nl
TU-217,848070771,marktplaats.nl
AU-alpha 707XR,605011111,marktplaats.nl,JDM,T-tag
CD-X501i,337122027,marktplaats.nl
R-70,879122579,marktplaats.nl
SR-212,424100097,marktplaats.nl
TU-217,028072593,marktplaats.nl
 
Here's the follow up on the May batch:

Over all it went smoothly but there were a few that need special attention.

@Monicker1
790,217050463,ebay.com This one conflicts with a 7070 that I may have put in the database exactly one year ago. The database shows 26 units built on line 21 in May '77 including AU-10000s, AU-11000A, AU-5900, AU-6900, AU-7900 but no 790s. The 790 is fairly rare, we only have 8 in the database and all of them were built on line 21. It's possible that line 21 built some that month but before treating it as an unintentional duplicate, I need to ask you to double check.

G-9000,818090219,canuckaudiomart.com, this one duplicates a G-9000DB that has been in the database since 2006. Line 81 was building both models that month so it may be an inadvertent duplicate.

B-1000,508060280,kleinanzeigen duplicate with a AU-X201i you called this one out as a duplicate and indeed it is. Line 50 was producing both models that month so I'm going to treat this one as an inadvertent duplicate and keep both in the database.

It seems that the possibility the duplication of serial number labels is much more common than we thought. I makes me uncomfortable to think Sansui was so careless. Japanese manufacturing is famous for being very accurate so it doesn't sit well with me. What we are looking at here is factory error vs human error on our end. I'm inclined to favor the factory.

What do you guys think?

- Pete
 
I'd only favor factory error if the duplicate can be shown, proven with images. Otherwise toss the one without proof. Typos are easily made, I found several made by myself.
 
It is frustrating I cannot find the 790 on ebay.com. I certainly did not make it up. I think it appeared to me within the last two weeks. A 790 is a black-faced 7070, as you probably know. If I find it I will post here. Otherwise I guess it can be deleted.

As for the G-9000 I have a pic of the rear:

G9000.png

This says nothing about being a G-9000DB model
 
kw22 harvest:

771,814054359,kleinanzeigen
1000X,022020809,kleinanzeigen
2000X,813090618,kleinanzeigen
6060,816061772,kleinanzeigen
7000,222120481,kleinanzeigen
9090DB,828030874,kleinanzeigen
A-7,441037160,kleinanzeigen
AU-G99X,665063829,kleinanzeigen
CD-200,50301068,kleinanzeigen
D-X311WR,570102141,kleinanzeigen
D-X301iR,338084100,kleinanzeigen
G-7000,858070802,kleinanzeigen
J33,909020625,kleinanzeigen,,same serial no for left and right speaker
S-U770,70904,kleinanzeigen
SIX,223040402,kleinanzeigen
SP-1200A,96050415,kleinanzeigen
SP-1200A,96050421,kleinanzeigen
SP-3500,91093319,kleinanzeigen
SP-5500X,95123109,kleinanzeigen
SP-5500X,95122849,kleinanzeigen
SR-525,326071349,kleinanzeigen
T-80,840021412,kleinanzeigen
 
@LBPete: as you are interested in these old numbers, there is a MP-2 on ebay right now. I hope I get it right that this is the serial number

MP-2,SD3490,ebay

mp-2.jpg
 
I'd only favor factory error if the duplicate can be shown, proven with images. Otherwise toss the one without proof. Typos are easily made, I found several made by myself.
Agreed, it's the best way.

Found it. Is it a bad reading on my part?


View attachment 3517517

It looks like 217050463 to me.
It also looks like it could be an 8.

@LBPete: as you are interested in these old numbers, there is a MP-2 on ebay right now. I hope I get it right that this is the serial number

MP-2,SD3490,ebay
That looks right. I'll put it in.

@w1jim I have yours too.

Thanks guys.

- Pete
 
My pentecostal harvest (WK23):
AT-700,601028056,catawiki.com
AU-101,834091077,catawiki.com
AU-G77X,436061803,catawiki.com
CD-X311ii,203698001267,catawiki.com
RA-500,513090008,catawiki.com
A-40,869063123,marktplaats.nl
AU-117,857083537,marktplaats.nl
AU-217,838113411,marktplaats.nl
AU-D7,221021759,marktplaats.nl
P-D15,925073553,marktplaats.nl
R-30,839121616,marktplaats.nl
R-505,212070771,marktplaats.nl
SE-8,831070841,marktplaats.nl
SR-525,326111565,marktplaats.nl
TU-3900,846121893,marktplaats.nl
TU-X711,601069527,marktplaats.nl
 
Back
Top Bottom