• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

8b transformer issue

Hifi Dave

Active Member
I have a Marantz 8b amp with an open primary. Is there an embedded fuse in the transformer? The amp was given to me years ago and it just sat on a shelf. It is all original with some rubes being replaced.
Thanks everyone in advance.
 
Register to hide this ad
I had an 8B power transformer go open on me. There is no internal breaker of any kind in it. I melted the transformer potting and dumped the bad transformer out of the can and ordered a custom designed toroidal replacement that fit in the can. I made a mounting bracket for the toroid right on the base of the can itself, and then just placed the empty can over it. Can is originally held down by sheet metal screws. Amp works fine, and the over-rated toroid just gets warm after hours of use. Can't tell by looking at it that the transformer had been replaced, and the toroid has higher current capability than the original had, so the polite little amp has a bit firmer bass now.
 
Back
Top Bottom