• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

A case where older is better. Toasters

Register to hide this ad
We rarely make toast - but when we do, we have this ancient Sunbeam T9 toaster that works well ... (also from 1939) ...Sunbeam-T9_zoomed.jpeg
A lot of Sunbeam appliances from 1939 had that art-deco design, apparently from the 1939 World's FairSunbeam_collection_5741.jpg
Chicago-made Sunbeam appliances ... I even have the Sunbeam W2 waffle iron my folks got when they got married. It works great too!
Sunbeam_Waffles_3479.jpeg
 
Last edited:
No, in a senior moment, I put my phone in the toaster...
It was an Apple so it was somewhat flavorful...

I wouldn't be surprised if a toaster comes out that you control with a phone app though.
 
There are multiple brands using the same mechanism from China and they are all junk according to my scientific sample of 2. They differ in the case design and having different features like a "Bagel" button.
The first one I got, the solenoid that holds the toast down until done became intermittent, not working and buzzing loudly the first time I emptied the crumb tray. Some percussive maintenance fixed it for a while, but it failed more permanently the second time I emptied the tray. The replacement (different brand) makes toast but doesn't respond to the bagel button.
 
Probably 30 years since the last time I made (tried to) toast,,, actually a pop tart my kid put in it... Toaster burst into flame!!
I grabbed it off the counter and threw it out the back door across the yard,,, Haven't tried to make toast since!!
 
We rarely make toast - but when we do, we have this ancient Sunbeam T9 toaster that works well ... (also from 1939) ...View attachment 3619775
A lot of Sunbeam appliances from 1939 had that art-deco design, apparently from the 1939 World's FairView attachment 3619776
Chicago-made Sunbeam appliances ... I even have the Sunbeam W2 waffle iron my folks got when they got married. It works great too!
View attachment 3619779

Use to collect toasters and had several T-9's. The stylistic image is the Trylon and Perisphere from the 1939 Worlds Fair. They used the image for quite a while. It was even on the first full auto toaster where you put in bread, watched it disappear then raise up toasted, also very good toasters.
 
Back
Top Bottom