• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

ADS L1230 vs L1530

I auditioned both models and found the 1530s to be boomy. This was a side by side comparison and it was with a 700 watt amp. As any well seasoned audiophile knows the room could have been the cause, but with full control of the volume I don't think it was room gain and overload. Just my opinion. Clarity of the bass was better in the 1230s. I still have a pair in the cellar. I now use the L1290/2s. There is a microscopic improvement in the upper bass on this model. I have a complete 5.4.1 system using all
L1290/2s. One thing for sure is ALL ADS speakers were and still are superb.

Thanks for your impressions. My 1230s sound boomy only when I place them too close to the wall - too close being less than a foot. Right now, I have them placed about 15" from the rear wall, which actually improves the bass from where I had them before, about 3 feet from the wall. Never heard the 1290s, which I believe uses the same drivers in a tower configuration.
 
Nashville. I haven't seen but a few pairs of ADS local to me, and I've bought em all if I could.

See a pair on the bay priced on the ultra high side in Roswell Georgia. Almost 4 hours drive from Nashville. Guy claims they have been reconditioned, so if you back out what was paid for that service, it puts them on the high side of what I've seen them go for. Then again, I've seen several pair via CL, go for much lower. In any case, I'll keep an eye out for something closer.
 
See a pair on the bay priced on the ultra high side in Roswell Georgia. Almost 4 hours drive from Nashville. Guy claims they have been reconditioned, so if you back out what was paid for that service, it puts them on the high side of what I've seen them go for. Then again, I've seen several pair via CL, go for much lower. In any case, I'll keep an eye out for something closer.

Some of those used ADS are way over-priced. $1800 for the 1530s? They listed for $2200 new and they're great speakers but they aren't THAT great. If they were mine, I'd list them for $1100 tops with room to dicker. My mint condition 1230s on Craig's List (since withdrawn), with rebuilt x-overs, listed for $499, and that was negotiable.
 
Some of those used ADS are way over-priced. $1800 for the 1530s? They listed for $2200 new and they're great speakers but they aren't THAT great. If they were mine, I'd list them for $1100 tops with room to dicker. My mint condition 1230s on Craig's List (since withdrawn), with rebuilt x-overs, listed for $499, and that was negotiable.

Absolutely, and I've noticed recently in the last couple of years the price continues to increase. I did shy away from talking about prices since the item I spoke about was for sale, but no way would I personally spend that for a pair of L1230's as much as I love mine. I give $550 for mine locally and had to send the Crossovers, Tweeters and Midranges in for repairs. However, the cabs, and grills were in exceptional condition. The repairs got me up around the $700 - $800 range which was acceptable to me. After the repairs, the speakers felt like MY speakers and not someone else's.

I'm in this situation now with wanting a pair of 910's and I'm dead set to get them. I passed up a pair in Houston going for $1500. The money wasn't the issue as much as thinking at the time I could get them all day long for less then $1000. My error ... was not realizing there just wasn't many 910 south of the red river. So if I want a set ... I may have to pay a premium.
 
If I see a set close I'll drop a line. I'll jot you down on a list of a couple of people I'll contact if I see something for them in their area. :thumbsup:

You are right though, dont see much come from Nashville. But then I said that about Dallas and 2 sets of 1530's came up together back to back.
Keep an eye out in Cincinnati Ohio's Craigslist...I've seen a few there, also Pittsburgh. It's a drive...but you gotta do what you gotta do! LOL! A fews hours drive for a lifetime of listening pleasure! LOL!
 
Absolutely, and I've noticed recently in the last couple of years the price continues to increase. I did shy away from talking about prices since the item I spoke about was for sale, but no way would I personally spend that for a pair of L1230's as much as I love mine. I give $550 for mine locally and had to send the Crossovers, Tweeters and Midranges in for repairs. However, the cabs, and grills were in exceptional condition. The repairs got me up around the $700 - $800 range which was acceptable to me. After the repairs, the speakers felt like MY speakers and not someone else's.

I'm in this situation now with wanting a pair of 910's and I'm dead set to get them. I passed up a pair in Houston going for $1500. The money wasn't the issue as much as thinking at the time I could get them all day long for less then $1000. My error ... was not realizing there just wasn't many 910 south of the red river. So if I want a set ... I may have to pay a premium.

All sales come down to the same thing: How badly the would-be buyer wants the product vs. how badly the seller wants to part with it.

Please clarify regarding your 1230s. Did you pay $550 for your 1230s and then had the drivers and x-overs repaired? And now, you'd sell them for $700-800?
 
I’ve got 1530’s which I picked up from CL several years ago priced pretty well. They are the best speakers I have owned. If a pair of 1230’s had been available and priced right I probably would have bought them. Then I would have always wondered if I would be happier with 1530’s. I went through that with 1290/2’s which I was pretty happy with but in the back of mind I always lusted for 1590’s.
 
Well, as things end up going in my life, my son has my notebook in his truck, and he's out of town. So ... for that guy I was looking for a set of L1230's in Florida (that guy may not be in this thread), Here's a nice set in St Petersburg via CL Tampa

Note, I have no affiliation what so ever in any capacity to the seller.
 
Last edited:
Well, as things end up going in my life, my son has my notebook in his truck, and he's out of town. So ... for that guy I was looking for a set of L1230's in Florida (that guy may not be in this thread), Here's a nice set at a nice price. @bberkom I've not forgotten about you in Nashville.

Note, I have no affiliation what so ever in any capacity to the seller.

https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/ele/d/saint-petersburg-ads-l1230-speakers/6952102805.html

Nice...! A good price too. :thumbsup:
 
I just now noticed someone placed this lookout in Dollars and Cents ... I may not have been wise posting this here.

First, you should edit your post and just mention CL and Tampa and the item. That's not against the rules but direct linking is.

Second, I suppose they are legit, but there has been a pair in Tampa/St Pete that were for sale around late winter early spring. They might be the same pair.
 
First, you should edit your post and just mention CL and Tampa and the item. That's not against the rules but direct linking is.

Second, I suppose they are legit, but there has been a pair in Tampa/St Pete that were for sale around late winter early spring. They might be the same pair.

Thanks Tiver ... I edited the post and will try to remember the rules quicker. Thanks!
 
I’ve got 1530’s which I picked up from CL several years ago priced pretty well. They are the best speakers I have owned. If a pair of 1230’s had been available and priced right I probably would have bought them. Then I would have always wondered if I would be happier with 1530’s. I went through that with 1290/2’s which I was pretty happy with but in the back of mind I always lusted for 1590’s.
'that is a matter of not hearing all the difference sorry for your loss.
 
All sales come down to the same thing: How badly the would-be buyer wants the product vs. how badly the seller wants to part with it.

Please clarify regarding your 1230s. Did you pay $550 for your 1230s and then had the drivers and x-overs repaired? And now, you'd sell them for $700-800?

Sorry I missed your post. Yes paid $550 then another $300 plus to fix the tweeters, mids, and crossovers. However ... no way am I selling them. Those are my baby girls, Ronda and Lucille.
 
Sorry I missed your post. Yes paid $550 then another $300 plus to fix the tweeters, mids, and crossovers. However ... no way am I selling them. Those are my baby girls, Ronda and Lucille.
Money well spent. With the prices increasing, you made a sound investment, and have spectacular sounding speakers.
 
I have and very much love my L1230's. So much so I custom built an HT around them. That said, I have for a very long time wanted a set of L 1530's. When the day came I could get a pair, I backed off from the realization that I did not have the space for them. Not a moment goes buy when I hear or read about the L1530's that I dont have regrets.
Want to hear an excellent pair? Look up Matthew Krepp on YouTube. Listen with headphones.
You will not go wrong with the L1230's .... and you'll in all likelihood love their brother the 1530's if you have the room.

I was lucky enough to wrestle these away from Matt and they will likely never leave me! Just a fantastic all around speaker, with the trademark ADS mids and highs and as much bass as anyone would ever want. IMHO, any boominess is from room dynamics (rule of 1/5). My 1530s are well balanced when away from back and side walls. To my ear they are superior to the L1230's and they even displaced my L1590's. It was close, but I have no WAF to consider and plenty of room in my finished basement. They had the Richard So treatment and a crossover recap and internal re-wire, which is documented in this excellent AK thread for anyone with a pair and thinking about an upgrade. If you have a chance for L1530s, jump! You will not regret it!
https://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/ads-l1530-crossover.640582/
.
 
Last edited:
I was lucky enough to wrestle these away from Matt and they will likely never leave me! Just a fantastic all around speaker, with the trademark ADS mids and highs and as much bass as anyone would ever want. IMHO, any boominess is from room dynamics (rule of 1/5). My 1530s are well balanced when away from back and side walls. To my ear they are superior to the L1230's and they even displaced my L1590's. It was close, but I have no WAF to consider and plenty of room in my finished basement. They had the Richard So treatment and a crossover recap and internal re-wire, which is documented in this excellent AK thread for anyone with a pair and thinking about an upgrade. If you have a chance for L1530s, jump! You will not regret it!
https://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/ads-l1530-crossover.640582/
.

You got Matts! ... awesome. You got the best then I have no doubt. I've seen them showcased in his videos. In as much as I don't imagine myself ever ridding myself of the L1230's, I've sense learned that I would have had the room for a set if I'd have just not over thought the obstacles. I still look for the L1530's daily, along with some 910's. I'm dead set to get me a pair of 910's, but will not rule out the 1530's in the future. Glad you got Matts Joseph.
 
You got Matts! ... awesome. You got the best then I have no doubt. I've seen them showcased in his videos. In as much as I don't imagine myself ever ridding myself of the L1230's, I've sense learned that I would have had the room for a set if I'd have just not over thought the obstacles. I still look for the L1530's daily, along with some 910's. I'm dead set to get me a pair of 910's, but will not rule out the 1530's in the future. Glad you got Matts Joseph.
Thanks, Matt is a great guy and real pleasure to do business with. He also had the 910s for a while and you may want to ask him for his take on the respective strengths and differences between the 1530s and 910s. The 1530s are definitely a presence in a room, and need a bit of space to breathe. That being said, they are a fantastic speaker! Like the 1230s, there is no listener fatigue and the mids and highs are sweet! That era ADS products were special!
 
Back
Top Bottom