• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

ADS models, an impromptu rollcall

Need some advice. There's a local pair of 1290/2s for sale, and was wondering if it would be worth a look since I already have a pair of 1090s. Is it a noticeable upgrade going from L1090's to 1290s? Thanks!

I have both. Yes the 1290 are more speaker especially around and below 50hz. With that said, I would never kick the 1090s to the curb.

Which is why I still own both, I can't stand the thought of letting the 1090s go as they are great sounding speakers.
 
IMG_9030.jpg


New pic of system with L1290's added to collection.
 
IMG_9030.jpg


New pic of system with L1290's added to collection.

Nice!

Y'all know I love those ADS towers. I hope you give them their rightful space when you listen to them. They can't sound their best so close to each other and so close to the walls.

Enjoy!
 
Rick - Regardless of some negative posts on the newer Sat series A/D/S, I still think the S700+sub better both these floor-standers. Thanks again!

Adam - Thanks! I just had them together for a photo shoot, but you are right in this confined space the L1090's sounded more balanced or are the L1090s actually better speakers with less bass?
 
so what are your conclusions comparing the 1090 to the 1290?

Hope I don't get flamed for this but I think the L1090's are more accurate, sounds more composed, and coherent where areas the L1290's mids sound a tad hollow with a mid-bass gap. It could be my setup, but that being said, the L1290's get more play because they are more full-range and play louder.
 
Refurbing L880's

A light sanding with 100 then 200 grit sandpaper followed by 2-3 coats of tung oil will have them looking brand new. Do the domes sound sweet? Then don't worry about the sticky domes, it's there for a reason.

Duffinator, do you have a specific recommendation for the brand of Tung Oil?

I'm also looking for advice on how to best refurbish the black mesh grills. I have some rust spots on mine. Anyone have first hand experience doing this?

Thanks,
Dave
 
Dave I use Min Wax Tung Oil. Some will say it's not pure but it works fine on the speakers I've used it on. :yes:
 
Hope I don't get flamed for this but I think the L1090's are more accurate, sounds more composed, and coherent where areas the L1290's mids sound a tad hollow with a mid-bass gap. It could be my setup, but that being said, the L1290's get more play because they are more full-range and play louder.

You are not the first to make this statement. The L1090s are impressive.
 
Dave I use Min Wax Tung Oil. Some will say it's not pure but it works fine on the speakers I've used it on. :yes:

No, Minwax isn't pure Tung Oil. Very few products calling themselves tung oil are. That doesn't prevent them from becoming good finishes, especially since you have to do something to tung oil before it becomes a suitable finish. That's because it's not a drying oil.* To make it dry you need to either add something like mineral spirits to it or polymerize it. Polymerization is essentially a cooking process which changes the molecular structure so that it dries thoroughly and hard.

That's the "up side". The "down side" is that polymerized tung oil, once opened, has a pretty short shelf life. Once a significant amount of air gets into the container the oil will skin over fairly quickly. Once that happens it's time to toss it. You can slow down the demise by decanting the oil into smaller containers as you use it or, if the container is plastic, squeeze the air out of it as the level drops. Sort of a PITA, really.

So, if you want pure tung oil look for polymerized tung oil but the other stuff is fine. I've used Formby's and it worked just fine. I haven't used Minwax but I've used others of their finishes and find them more than adequate, with the exception of their wipe-on poly with stain that used to come in a plastic squeeze bottle. I don't think they make it any more and the wipe-on poly in a can that they now sell is very good.

John

*Pure natural tung oil was first used as waterproofing for ships, I think, where the fact that it always stays somewhat soft and gooey was just what was required. Raw linseed oil used to be used in the same way for the same reasons.
 
Last edited:
L1590's finally.

I think this will be my last pair of A/D/S unless a mint pair of L1590's shows up locally. :)
IMG_9160.jpg

IMG_9166.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom