• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Air Guns

I took my gloves off, one day, a few years ago. I set them down on a block wall that I was building. When I put them back on, there was something like a fire, it felt, between my fingers, right down deep at the web between them,... It was one of those carpenter bees, and it was biting the hell out of my hand, inside the glove, where it had crawled.
Lesson: Don't let them do that to you - it hurts like, undescribable pain! Always check your glove for bugs that might have crawled into them!
 
Last edited:
I loved my 1377 that I bought back in 2009, but unfortunately the joint at the pumper pin wore out after only 1200 shots. I never pumped ten times, usually between five and eight. I will fix it as soon as I have the time for it.

There are number of mods that one can do to this pistol, but the only one truly worth is the adjustable trigger mod. Probably the best $12 I have ever spent.

Soundork
Looks like I'm going to be doing some research...
 
Looks like I'm going to be doing some research...
Or maybe introduce a drop of oil to the pivot joint every hundred shots or so.

My 1322(heavily modified) with adjustable flat top piston has easily seen 2500 rounds since topping out the piston to increase compression, and effectively increasing the pumping force required.

I expect my pivot will wear out at which time i will carefully ream it out and make a larger pin for it. A larger diameter pin will bear more force and last longer overall.

The 13XX guns are a lot of fun, and an economical platform to start with, and build on. Where modifications are concerned, the sky really is the limit.
 
Dr. Robert Beeman has passed away; this according to the new Pyramid Air catalog. RIP

oh,... and I ain't seen a sage rat all summer long. I think I won.
I did biz over the counter@ the Santa Rosa shop some 30-odd years ago, still have a P-1 pistol and Webley C-1, and some pellets, the rest passed on to Grumpy and Nailer.
I recall he and another airgun maven (Tim McMurray @ Mac1?) had a long running feud over what I do not recall.
 
Last edited:
Dr. Robert Beeman has passed away; this according to the new Pyramid Air catalog. RIP

oh,... and I ain't seen a sage rat all summer long. I think I won.
Yes, Doc Beeman passed away this past summer. He sold his company in 1993.

Most of the guns from the Beeman glory years were Weihrauch (HW) guns and some Feinwerkbau. Those guns are still classics with their 2 stage Rekord triggers and Goudy inspired stocks. I still own a Beeman R1 and R10. They've both been fitted with Maccari springs and piston seals and fire with a solid thud. No spring twang or rattles on these guns. I also have a couple older Diana rifles with leather seals that are still excellent shooters.

Many of the current Beeman guns - the less expensive models, are now made in China and even sold in Big Box stores. These are Beeman guns in name only. Anyone wanting a quality German spring rifle can still get a Weihrauch (pronounced Vie Rock) rifle but it will set you back at least a few hundy. An HW50 is a nice, mid powered springer.
 
First up, a UK made Webly Tomahawk in .25 cal. Rather rare. Its wearing a Simmons 44 mag 6.5- 20x44 scope.
20211127_120819.jpg

A Beeman R10 with a Beeman Blue ribbon SS2 3x short scope.
20211127_121014.jpg

A Beeman R1 with a Blue Ribbon 66 scope.
20211127_121203.jpg

A Diana 27. At 700 fps in .177 its a great light weight plinker you can easily carry all day for a walk in the woods. It will do squirrel and rabbit sized game.
20211127_121341.jpg
 
Haven't owned a air rifle in years.Had a Crosman Model ? in .177 cal that my brother managed to break and a Crosman Double Action Revolver in .22 cal C02.
The bug stared to hit me a couple of months ago so I started looking.In Canada one needs a Firearms License to purchase anything over 495 fps.
I really wasn't looking for anything to replace my powder burners.It was more for trigger time and to try something different and to re learn the Artillery Hold.
I also didn't want a break barrel so started researching under lever ,side lever,and PCP.The PCP quickly went by the wayside as it seems that once you get started it becomes a big rabbit hole.Sort of like Audio.
So I am now patiently awaiting a Umarex Synergis in .177.I don't have a lot of hope for the package scope,but that is easily replaced with something better.
 
Haven't owned a air rifle in years.Had a Crosman Model ? in .177 cal that my brother managed to break and a Crosman Double Action Revolver in .22 cal C02.
The bug stared to hit me a couple of months ago so I started looking.In Canada one needs a Firearms License to purchase anything over 495 fps.
I really wasn't looking for anything to replace my powder burners.It was more for trigger time and to try something different and to re learn the Artillery Hold.
I also didn't want a break barrel so started researching under lever ,side lever,and PCP.The PCP quickly went by the wayside as it seems that once you get started it becomes a big rabbit hole.Sort of like Audio.
So I am now patiently awaiting a Umarex Synergis in .177.I don't have a lot of hope for the package scope,but that is easily replaced with something better.
PCP is a rabbit hole. You need a compressor but Chinese made are down to about $250. Add to that the fact that any vessel pressurized to 3000psi is going to leak. Not an if but a when.

An underlever isnt any easier to cock or load. Just a different cocking mechamism. I never owned one but the Weihrauch 97 is supposed to be nice. I know if I keep my hand on the barrel of a break barrel while loading I won't lose a finger. With an underlever you're reliant on a mechanical device (anti-bear trap). Failures on high end rifles are rare tho.
 
PCP is a rabbit hole. You need a compressor but Chinese made are down to about $250. Add to that the fact that any vessel pressurized to 3000psi is going to leak. Not an if but a when.

An underlever isnt any easier to cock or load. Just a different cocking mechamism. I never owned one but the Weihrauch 97 is supposed to be nice. I know if I keep my hand on the barrel of a break barrel while loading I won't lose a finger. With an underlever you're reliant on a mechanical device (anti-bear trap). Failures on high end rifles are rare tho.
Guess I will find out.I believe the effort to cock the rifle is in the 30 to 35 pound range.Yes and as far as any mechanical device is concerned one has to exercise a bit of common sense especially with any type of fire arm.I have the safety on,it won't discharge !!!
 
Talking to my brother this weekend. Told me that Benjamin was having a sale with up to 20% off. He's getting a PCP Kratos in 22 but he can't get it from Benjamin as they don't ship 22's to Illinois just 177's so he had to go with Airguns of Arizona and got a good price no tax and free shipping. Had to thank him for pointing out the deal from Benjamin.

Now I had looked at PCP guns a few years ago but was happy with my RWS Diana 34 with a Center Point scope. I found the pellets that make it a tack driver. This deal from Benjamin made me change my mind along with getting the Diana out and firing it for the first time in 5 or more years. Still a hard hitting tack driver but I didn't remember it being so hard to cock and it's always been loud. Soooo I went with the July 4th Benjamin deal of the Kratos and free CenterPoint 3-12x44mm PLT Riflescope, Crosman Spinning Target and 4 cans of Crosman Essential Dome Pellet (.22). Bought a couple extra mags to get the price over 700 and get the 20% off. With the 140+ off it was priced at what just the gun goes for on sale. Heck of a deal. It a Turkish made gun with a beautiful walnut stock. Can't wait to get it. Now it would have been 6 of one, half a dozen of another using an expensive hand pump or cocking a break barrel so I've got a cheap chinese pump coming for less that a good Swedish hand pump. The Kratos has a 480cc bottle which is big compared to what comes on most. That's a lot of pumping

Here's pic of the gun(not mine). Adjustable cheek pad and adjustable air pressure. 12 round magazines with up to 60 shots before air refill but with a slight reduction in air pressure you can get 100. Side lever cocking. If you get a good one you can put a 5 shot group at 150' covered by a quarter or sometimes a dime.
52196018330_ab2b2c4288_b.jpg
 
Last edited:
Guess I will find out.I believe the effort to cock the rifle is in the 30 to 35 pound range.Yes and as far as any mechanical device is concerned one has to exercise a bit of common sense especially with any type of fire arm.I have the safety on,it won't discharge !!!

I've had a few air guns like multi pump and break barrel and they're all rabbit holes it's just how far you want to go down it. Just like audio if your into it you'll advance. Try replacing the seal in a RWS 34 Diana(which I've done). You risk serious injury if the spring gets loose. There's good and bad with all of them. The accuracy of PCP is better. No need for the artillery hold, they shoot much like a powder gun. Another plus with is you don't need a special scope like a springer does. Along with the gun and the freebies it came with I bought a electric pump at a screaming good price and a ProChrono DLX Chronograph. All for just over 900. That in this day and age is cheap entry to a shooting sport. With the Diana every time you crack the barrel it sets the safety. I have 2 powder semi-autos with no safety and there's plenty of cases of dropped powder guns discharging. Guns are dangerous in any form. You pays your money and takes your chances.
 
Last edited:
I have a Gamo Whisper Cat .177 with a 3x9 scope that I use to control rodents in the back yard. Still have my Crosman Mk II CO2 pistol that my dad bought me in 1972. Still have the original box, it cost $19.99 at Venture.
 
First up, a UK made Webly Tomahawk in .25 cal. Rather rare. Its wearing a Simmons 44 mag 6.5- 20x44 scope.
View attachment 2405870

A Beeman R10 with a Beeman Blue ribbon SS2 3x short scope.
View attachment 2405871

A Beeman R1 with a Blue Ribbon 66 scope.
View attachment 2405872

A Diana 27. At 700 fps in .177 its a great light weight plinker you can easily carry all day for a walk in the woods. It will do squirrel and rabbit sized game.
View attachment 2405874

Premo. I have the Beeman R-1 with 66R Scope since new. She's likely due for some quality tuning-overhaul. That's a can of worms at current day with who to trust.

Yeah, I've drooled over rifles like TOTL Daystate. I sort of liken it to a very expensive state of the art Road Racing Bicycle. You're gonna spend some wicked money. Yep, the Compressor, this and that, scopes, mounts, scope stops, this add on, and that add on, etc, probably not that hard a gun to maintain, but surely a high precision air rifle. One with a lot of investment of money and time.

Imagine one in .25-30 caliber? These are then Air Rifles in another realm of performance and lethality.

Top Flight Match Air Rifles never were cheap.

Cost per dollar, as for performance, upkeep, simplicity, ease of use, build quality, I'd say the Spinger reigns king.

I know I've taken some mighty fine shots and at quite long distances with my R-1 when she was in fine tune.....and after I "settled" her down and she wasn't rattling-vibrating herself apart. It was a Rifle that required some good use of #242 Loctite just about everywhere.

Downside with these conventional springers, that loudish Twack, and that bit of vibration and forward lunge. Opposite of a Firearm.
 
Premo. I have the Beeman R-1 with 66R Scope since new. She's likely due for some quality tuning-overhaul. That's a can of worms at current day with who to trust.

Yeah, I've drooled over rifles like TOTL Daystate. I sort of liken it to a very expensive state of the art Road Racing Bicycle. You're gonna spend some wicked money. Yep, the Compressor, this and that, scopes, mounts, scope stops, this add on, and that add on, etc, probably not that hard a gun to maintain, but surely a high precision air rifle. One with a lot of investment of money and time.

Imagine one in .25-30 caliber? These are then Air Rifles in another realm of performance and lethality.

Top Flight Match Air Rifles never were cheap.

Cost per dollar, as for performance, upkeep, simplicity, ease of use, build quality, I'd say the Spinger reigns king.

I know I've taken some mighty fine shots and at quite long distances with my R-1 when she was in fine tune.....and after I "settled" her down and she wasn't rattling-vibrating herself apart. It was a Rifle that required some good use of #242 Loctite just about everywhere.

Downside with these conventional springers, that loudish Twack, and that bit of vibration and forward lunge. Opposite of a Firearm.

The part highlighted in bold I can't agree with anything there. Cost per dollar. The Kratos 22 I bought cost less with almost the same exact specs as the R1 and the R1 was a 177. Performance. Haven't heard of someone taking a water buffalo with a springer. Upkeep. I don't know yet but I think less time will be spent with the PCP. Simplicity. Hands down it's the PCP. I've torn down the RWS 34 Diana and watched the teardown video of the Kratos. Much simpler. Ease of use. Definitely by every definition the PCP. 60 shots with little drop off and thats with heavy pellets without having to crack the barrel 60 times. They did a poll of people who started on springers and 60% said they wished they started on a PCP. Build quality. Why would there be a quality difference and the PCP won't shake itself apart.

With that said. My Chronograph came today and the RWS 22 with a heavy pellet hit 672. Specs say it can hit 800. That would have to be a really light weight pellet. With a heavy pellet it would knock the snot out a rabbit in the garden. Grackles and Starlings just fell straight down with nary a flutter.
 
Last edited:
What compressor do you have to pump it up?

They ship with a full 3000 pound charge. I ran 12 pellets through it to see how close the scope was. It grouped nice but low enough that the scope will needed a shim in the back. Pressure gauge barely moved. So much nicer than a break barrel.

The pump is a Vevor that I bought on their web site for 205. Saw the same pump selling for 250-350 elsewhere. Got decent reviews. It's rated for 4500 pounds. Should be here tomorrow.

Here's what came. It was short one of the extra magazines I ordered. 5 minute phone call has it on the way. 2 thumbs up Benjamin!
52201709295_661c1f8040_b.jpg
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom