• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

AKAI Lovers and Collectors...

New pic with new bulbs. Sadly the unit only has them on the side of the scale and in between the gauges.

2zqg2hf.jpg
 
The only Akai in my room; SW-155 speakers, from 1972; a $15 thrift store find.
DSCN0625_zps897a0200.jpg

DSCN0630_zps74e8bf73.jpg


I'm presently using one of them as a mono speaker in a system that has been summed to mono.
They sound decent. They definitely have a bass thing going on.

Rough descriptive translation,….

AKAI SW-155
28,000 yen(around the one-set and 1972 time)
Description  
The speaker system of four ways.

A 6cm corn type unit is adopted as a 30cm corn type by low-pass, and is adopted as the inside region by the 12cm corn type and the high region, and the 5cm phon type unit is adopted as a super-high region.
The special thing was adopted as corn paper and the carved corn is adopted as especially low-pass.

The enclosure is a bus reflex system which uses a pipe duct, uses a particle board and lauan material together, and is suppressing resonance by the reinforcement.
 
I have that receiver and those speakers as well, both nice... It is a bummer about how they made the lamps in that unit, but its still a nice receiver. Suspiciously similar to a Yamaha from the same timeframe.
Note that, unless yours is different in Europe, the tuning knob is removed by removing a set screw. It's hard to see it, you have to remove the cover and look behind the faceplate at where the tuning knob goes through. Using a long allen wrench, you can reach it.
Those other Akai pieces you have also look great with it!
 
I haven't seen a set screw on it ... there is 1 little allen key screw on the flywheel.

About the other akai pieces i have, it bothers me a little that the cassette deck has a different finish on the aluminum. Its very shiny, the others are brushed.
 
Any of the Akai fans have a schematic for the SW-157 speaker crossovers? I just got a pair but previous owner has butchered the crossover wiring and removed tweeters. Have found replacement tweeters but need schematic to rewire the crossovers and replace caps. Can anyone help?
 
Any of the Akai fans have a schematic for the SW-157 speaker crossovers? I just got a pair but previous owner has butchered the crossover wiring and removed tweeters. Have found replacement tweeters but need schematic to rewire the crossovers and replace caps. Can anyone help?

I got SW-155 and SW-156. Both has same crossover. Highly possible 157 shares the same crossover. Can you show us what's left from the crossover?
 
Here are a couple of pics taken through midrange aperture. Maybe enough to identify?
ATTACH]
 

Attachments

  • uploadfromtaptalk1423611664256.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1423611664256.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 32
  • uploadfromtaptalk1423611688542.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1423611688542.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 19
  • uploadfromtaptalk1423611717378.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1423611717378.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 25
From what I see in those photos you only have one cap but there are also only 2 small coils for a 3-way. Where is the low end coil? You are correct in saying those are butchered.
 
I hope I haven't already responded to this .
I am the lucky owner of a AM-2600/ AT-2600 that are mint and I love them
always hoping to find a minty AP-006 to compliment them ! so far no luck but I am sure it will happen.
Awesome collection ! Vintage Akai is awesome and under appreciated gear.
 
My Akai stuff....

GX-255 4-track RtR
AM-2400 amp
AT-2600 tuner
CR-83D 8 track player
GXC-725D cassette deck
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 40
Clarification please

Thing is; 157 has one difference, no super tweeter. Both 155 and 156 shares same kind of super tweeter. Both 155 and 156 xovers are identical.


I attached my messy 156 xover drawing. At least it will give you an idea.

Good luck.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=391595&d=1353720749

Starbender.. thnaks for that. It will help. Can you explaim the "T" symbol on your drawing please? Does it mean "terminal" as in a connection or some othermeaning. Also, the earth side of the tweeter seems not to be connected to anything but is close to the left hand connection of the "high" adjuster potentiometer. Does this actually connect to the lug on the pot?

Thanks,

Nucky
 
OK have managed to remove entire assembly which looks like thisuploadfromtaptalk1423703324354.jpg
Also the coils are different values.. .33mh and .5mh so I'm still in need of a schematic!
 
Back
Top Bottom