• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Altec 604C's : What the heck am I going to do with these!

Well thanks to denwa04 I have a nice pair of Altec 604C's sitting next to me. Thanks to doucanoe for talking me into it, they have been completely rebuilt by the fine folks at Great Plains Audio.


By the way, who is denwa04? Is he from France or something.



RC
 
Now what the heck do I do?
Hmmm, seems I was in those shoes a year ago with my 604B's. I would do what theophile suggested and build the Markwart xover for them. If I was going to buy another pair of 604's I'd go for the 8G and build them up with some nice moderate sized cabinets and add a JL Audio F113 sub. :D
 
Well thanks to denwa04 I have a nice pair of Altec 604C's sitting next to me. Thanks to doucanoe for talking me into it, they have been completely rebuilt by the fine folks at Great Plains Audio.

Now what the heck do I do?

According to GPA they are now more like a 604E, but can use the 604C crossover. They are of the 16 ohm variety. I will end up building new crossovers at some point as well.

Here is the problem, no way can or will I jam another huge box speaker in my listening room. These really like a 9 cu/ft enclosure, Bill's are stunning, but my room is just to small. I'd like to stay around 5 cu/ft and let the corners of the room help extend the bass. Low to mid forties in the bass department would be fine.

Any and all ideas would be appreciated. Unless of course they mention me sending the drivers to you. This is my dream driver and really want to make it work in my room.

Generally, with vented systems if you cut the box volume in half 6 dB is lost at Fb, the box tuning frequency. This is seen in the similarity between B4 and B6 alignments where the B6 requires a 6 dB peaking boost filter to obtain the same -3dB freq. I'd suggest tuning between 30 and 40 Hz, and it might work just fine without the peaking filter.

Edit: Changed typo Fc to Fb (box tuning frequency)
 
Last edited:
Finally these beasts have a home. Picked up these beautiful cabinets last weekend. Will have 5 cu/ft of volume when all is said and done.

Any porting ideas?
 

Attachments

  • 3k23m63o2ZZZZZZZZZ93ea34ebe5b93e9154b.jpg
    3k23m63o2ZZZZZZZZZ93ea34ebe5b93e9154b.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 95
  • 3md3o03peZZZZZZZZZ93e744c243cd5e61c8c.jpg
    3md3o03peZZZZZZZZZ93e744c243cd5e61c8c.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 118
Super! Now I will finally get a chance to hear them :yes:

Those cabs look really nice. Pretty heavily constructed I bet.

RC
 
WOAH.. that's some KILLER looking wood on those!!! What is it?

Old growth walnut. They look great!

We are making progress......
604Cabs.jpg
 
Looks like you are almost home Gary! Your Altecs seem to want really large cabinets when you enter the numbers in some box modeling programs. Be that as it may, I really think with 5 cu-ft and that tuning, you are going to have all the LF you want in your room.

Nice 2 birds with one stone effort throwing that Wharfedale driver into the shot. At least I assume that was the thinking. I'm going to need to compare model numbers and specs if I can find any.


:scratch2:

RC
 
By the way, who is denwa04? Is he from France or something.



RC

:lmao:
Back to the Altecs....dam Gary, you are such a craftsman with wood....:thmbsp:
those look amazing. I can't wait to hear them at the fest...:yes:
You are bringing them, aren't you?
 
Wow, somehow I missed this thread when it started. I had been meaning to ask you about the 604s and what you thought of them. The cabinets look beautiful. :)
 
Here they are mounted in the cabs and running with the backs off. Sound real nice.
I mounted the horns that way because my room is very narrow. My thinking is that I don't need the horizontal dispersion as much as vertical being the cabs are low to the ground. I could be way off, but worth a try.
604InCab.jpg

Now the question. Which terminal above the word IN is the positive?
604Crossover.jpg
 
Here they are mounted in the cabs and running with the backs off. Sound real nice.
I mounted the horns that way because my room is very narrow. My thinking is that I don't need the horizontal dispersion as much as vertical being the cabs are low to the ground. I could be way off, but worth a try.
604InCab.jpg

Now the question. Which terminal above the word IN is the positive?
604Crossover.jpg


Can you hook them up so that the crossovers are accessible at frst. I would try it both ways and "out of phase" connection should make itself known pretty quickly I would think.

Dang fine looking in those cabs by the way. Between your Altecs and Aarons new amp/speakers, I can see that I am going to need to make some visits :thmbsp:

RC
 
Missed this thread. Mmmmm those look nice! :drool::drool::drool:
Hope they sound as good as they look!
 
Hey!

Don't knock the yogurt cups 'til you've tried 'em!

That vertical dispersion idea is interesting... I bet it will work in your room, Gary.
 
Back
Top Bottom