• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Altec 604C's : What the heck am I going to do with these!

OK, got both mounted the proper way, more on this later, and running on a Stromberg-Carslon 433 integrated in the basement. Backs are off and no lining on the cabinets internals. These sound real good. Punchy, stunning mids and nice bass from this setup. I think these are keepers.

With the horn mounted vertical, the highs were all but gone and sounded wierdly out of phase. I have no idea what Zilch was saying, but he was dead right.



Excellent!

RC
 
Looking good Gary, I think you are really going to like the 604s.

Can get better too, after you get the cabinets finished try a Markwart crossover, don't believe he shows a 'C' specific circuit but the 'B' version might work well.

And then there is that 2A3 amp...2A3 and tweaked 604s is a combination I won't be leaving anytime soon.
 
Here's a few pictures of them playing with the Stromberg.

Altec604s.jpg


Closeup of the beautiful wood on these cabinets.

Altec604Single.jpg
 
Sometimes I wonder what goes on in my head.

My wife and son went out for a bit tonight, so I saw it as a chance to haul the 604s from the basement to the listening room.......by myself. I'm getting to old for such stupidity!

After some grunting and moaning they are in their respective positions. I have taken mine as well in the lounge chair in the room. Heck I may be here all night after lifting these beasts. They are playing while the Maggie and Grounded Grid get a little warmth in their tubes. The drivers will need to break-in as well. They have only seen very limited use since their day at the GPA spa.

I'll report later on my thought as things settle down.

604sInRoom.jpg

604Right.jpg
 
Nice, Gary!

Say, your left speaker has feelers! Can you comment on the sonic benefits of speaker feelers, please?

Oh, and that amp looks cool, too. :smoke:
 
They look great and I'm glad you finally have them together. If they are anything like the 604B Hollywood's I owned you'll want to get the horn at ear level. If you need to check it out sit on the floor or on a stool to get at the right height. There might be a huge difference in how they sound. Enjoy. :thmbsp:
 
I would have helped ya if you would have asked. That or had this guy come along.

They look great!

RC
 

Attachments

  • untitledlj6.png
    untitledlj6.png
    665 KB · Views: 48
Nice, Gary!

Say, your left speaker has feelers! Can you comment on the sonic benefits of speaker feelers, please?

Oh, and that amp looks cool, too. :smoke:

That's how I contact the underground to direct the bombing missions over Dusseldorf.

Dam Those look fine Gary....

Thanks Bill. Wish I could take credit for the cabs, but they were some old school kit cabinets from the 50's. I just did a little baffle adjusting.

They look great and I'm glad you finally have them together. If they are anything like the 604B Hollywood's I owned you'll want to get the horn at ear level. If you need to check it out sit on the floor or on a stool to get at the right height. There might be a huge difference in how they sound. Enjoy. :thmbsp:

Have them tipped back to be aimed at my ears. So far so good.

I would have helped ya if you would have asked. That or had this guy come along.

They look great!

RC

I thought the 10 second notice on the move would have been a little tough for you to respond too.

Amazingly that's how I carried them up the stairs.:lmao:
 
Not at the moment. They really need a SET amp to sound their best in my opinion. Nate's working on something for me, but I'm in no real rush, that will solve that problem.

They are REALLY good with a nice single ended triode.
 
Back
Top Bottom