• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Altec 604C's : What the heck am I going to do with these!

That vertical dispersion idea is interesting... I bet it will work in your room, Gary.
A bad idea, probably, though I'd have to look at the polars to be certain. You don't want them beaming the horizontal, as that will narrow the apparent source width and thus soundstage spaciousness, which derives from lateral reflections....
 
A bad idea, probably, though I'd have to look at the polars to be certain. You don't want them beaming the horizontal, as that will narrow the apparent source width and thus soundstage spaciousness, which derives from lateral reflections....


It seem to be the "general" consensus that the EV 12trxb's T35 wants to be orientated in the vertical. Not sure if that is correct or people just following others lead. I just put a pair in 5.5 cu-ft cabs today (12trxb's) and oriented the horn the same way for that reason :dunno:

About the Altec, or EV for that matter. Lets say for example your room is 8" x 10" with speakers along the short rear wall. would your opinion be the same?

No fair just saying that the speakers are too big for the room :D

RC



RC
 
It seem to be the "general" consensus that the EV 12trxb's T35 wants to be orientated in the vertical. Not sure if that is correct or people just following others lead. I just put a pair in 5.5 cu-ft cabs today (12trxb's) and oriented the horn the same way for that reason :dunno:
If you check the T35 data sheet, I believe you will find vertical is the correct orientation.

I don't believe that's the case with the 604 horns.

About the Altec, or EV for that matter. Lets say for example your room is 8" x 10" with speakers along the short rear wall. would your opinion be the same?
Direct from the pages of Toole's new book, lateral first reflections are desireable for generating artificial spaciousness; given the facility to adjust this, listeners will boost them far beyond any natural occurance, and they do not significantly impact imaging or sonic quality. Toe the speakers in and the bounce from the opposite wall is far more effective due to delay and angle of incidence....
 
Last edited:
If you check the T35 data sheet, I believe you will find vertical is the correct orientation.

I don't believe that's the case with the 604 horns.

Direct from the pages of Toole's new book, lateral first reflections are desireable for generating artificial spaciousness; given the facility to adjust this, listeners will boost them far beyond any natural occurance, and they do not significantly impact imaging or sonic quality. Toe the speakers in and the bounce from the opposite wall is far more effective due to delay and angle of incidence....


Well, you heard it Gary. Just flip'em on their sides and you should be good to go.






;)
RC
 
If you got two more, you could have one oriented vertically and the other horizontally in super stack fashion.

That way, you would cover yourself just in case.

RC
 
Those sure look nice! I've only heard 604s out at a club, and I could not believe how good they sounded.

Have you considered the Master Lab crossover? I believe that it is a match for those.

What do you plan to power them with?
 
Those sure look nice! I've only heard 604s out at a club, and I could not believe how good they sounded.

Have you considered the Master Lab crossover? I believe that it is a match for those.

What do you plan to power them with?

Will be doing something with the crossover down the line. Just need to get them up and running and see if they are to my tastes.

They will be driven by a Pass F5 clone, a Maggie el84 rebuilt by Redboy and if he will let me his 2A3. If the 2A3 is money, I'll attempt a build like Redboy's, with his guiding hand along for the ride. I already have a set of James iron waiting.
 
Will be doing something with the crossover down the line. Just need to get them up and running and see if they are to my tastes.

They will be driven by a Pass F5 clone, a Maggie el84 rebuilt by Redboy and if he will let me his 2A3. If the 2A3 is money, I'll attempt a build like Redboy's, with his guiding hand along for the ride. I already have a set of James iron waiting.

Well Gary with a stable of great amps like that to throw at these 604's I would imagine that your experiences will be pretty amazing...
 
OK, got both mounted the proper way, more on this later, and running on a Stromberg-Carslon 433 integrated in the basement. Backs are off and no lining on the cabinets internals. These sound real good. Punchy, stunning mids and nice bass from this setup. I think these are keepers.

With the horn mounted vertical, the highs were all but gone and sounded wierdly out of phase. I have no idea what Zilch was saying, but he was dead right.
 
Back
Top Bottom