• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Altec Crossovers from Great Plains Audio?

underside of crossover

Hi Marantzfan. Any chance you would post a pic of the underside of your Z-19's?
thanks.
 
I'm not down playing the GPA Xovers but I think a good place to start is a re-cap of the Altec Xovers. They are similar to the GPA version and you already own them. As they sit the caps are probably off values and need to be replaced anyway. Mine were off by more than 30%. It's a cheap mod and if you keep the original parts if anyone actually wants them, you can put it back as original.
I found the cap replacement to be better than the Z19 mod. I did a version similar to a Markwart Xover with good results but have gone back to the upgraded Altec for long term listening.
 
I'm not a tech but would be interested in how you checked your networks for value loss. Is it something simple that can be done with a multimeter? It would be interesting to see how much my originals lost.
 
If your multi has a capacitor meter (that goes high enough) you would just need to take one leg of the cap out of the circuit and test it. Odds are if the caps are original you should probably just replace them and I am pretty sure you will get better sound.
I vote replace the caps before plunking money down on new Xovers.
 
If your multi has a capacitor meter (that goes high enough) you would just need to take one leg of the cap out of the circuit and test it. Odds are if the caps are original you should probably just replace them and I am pretty sure you will get better sound.
I vote replace the caps before plunking money down on new Xovers.

Look up few posts. ;)
 
I have Altec 604C speakers, and I am finally getting good amplification for them. Do you think it is worth trying to recap the original N-1600 crossovers (from the 1950s and potted), or would I be better off buying the GPA substitutes? The substitutes are over $300 for the pair, which I would rather not pay, but I have no idea how hard it is to recap potted X-overs (especially for a total electronics illiterate like me).
 
I'm not down playing the GPA Xovers but I think a good place to start is a re-cap of the Altec Xovers. They are similar to the GPA version and you already own them. As they sit the caps are probably off values and need to be replaced anyway. Mine were off by more than 30%. It's a cheap mod and if you keep the original parts if anyone actually wants them, you can put it back as original.
+1

And............... don't forget the ground mod on the earlier models that use the chassis as part of the ground (-) circuit.
 
As far as originality, you couldn't you use the regular faceplates of the XO's with new parts? Then it would not say GPA on it.
 
Back
Top Bottom