• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Am I the only one that prefers older music?

vintagecd

Active Member
I honestly can't stand most of the new music, but I just love older songs from before the 90s. Is anyone the same way?
 
Register to hide this ad
Just look through many, many... many threads here and you'll see; most here agree with you (that's >50% for the arguers)
 
It's fine to prefer music of a certain era - Many of us here are "of an age" where we grew up with Led Zeppelin, Stones, whatever. It's a lot of fun and very comforting to listen to the music of our time and recall/relive the good old days.

There was a lot of crap music then too. "Afternoon Delight", "Me and You and a Dog Named Boo", "Muskrat Love", "You're Having My Baby". Oh god how that stuff sucked.

I was and still am a huge fan of Little Feat of that era, I love to spin my copies of "Waiting for Columbus" and "The Last Record Album". LZ IV was mind blowing at the time and I still love it.

But there's plenty of great stuff being put out right now if you just open your mind and ears. Right now I'm having morning coffee and watching a Tivo'd showing of "Warren Haynes Band: Live at the Moody Theater". I've seeing him with Gov't Mule and John Scofield next month. Joe Bonamassa is doing stuff with guitar that most players can only dream of.

Get out and explore!

(yes I understand more than half here will prefer "the gold old stuff". That's the demographics of AK)
 
Weird thing is I was born within the era of the newer music, yet I prefer the older stuff. Sometimes I feel like I don't "fit in" because a lot of kids listen to only the new stuff. But I guess its good to be different :)
 
I honestly can't stand most of the new music, but I just love older songs from before the 90s. Is anyone the same way?

How much new music do you actually listen to? Just what you hear on commercial radio? Try some alternative sources, do some online reading of new music reviews, take a look at NPR's music recommendations, etc etc.

http://www.npr.org/2014/12/08/368731400/npr-musics-50-favorite-albums-of-2014

If you can't find new music that you like, you're not trying.
 
I honestly can't stand most of the new music, but I just love older songs from before the 90s. Is anyone the same way?

Not me. I love lots of pre-90s music, but there is more easily available, good, diverse music being recorded today than ever before. I love lots of it. Plus all the old stuff is still available.

We are living in a golden age.
 
It's fine to prefer music of a certain era - Many of us here are "of an age" where we grew up with Led Zeppelin, Stones, whatever. It's a lot of fun and very comforting to listen to the music of our time and recall/relive the good old days.

)


I actually like music before my time. The music of Sinatra, Martin, Vaughn, and Cole is timeless. A lot of today's music has the shelf life of a carton of milk.





This space intentionally left blank.
 
Last edited:
I cracked up with the OP's "older music" being from the 90's. I guess it's all relative.
My favorite genre is pre-war blues.
There is nothing wrong with preferring older music, for instance there will unlikely ever be another era with the likes of James Brown, Ray Charles, Otis Redding, and Aretha Franklin all plying new music on the radio.
It has been said here before, there is good new music, you just have to spend some time to look for it.
 
NPR has been running a program titled "UnderCurrents" that features an eclectic variety of music, old and new. It has exposed me to a lot of good stuff I've never before heard.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
I'm 70 and my younger daughter told me about The Killers song Read My Mind...love it. I also listen CBC Radio2 The Signal weeknights at 10....amazing stuff.
 
I also like older music, Gregorian Chants for example, about 1000 years old...

He he! Good one Chris!! I do like a few new things but for the most part like old. I'm finding more that in addition to long time genre favorites rock, soft rock/pop and jazz I'm enjoying classical and some (but not all) newer artists found on XM radio's "The Loft".
 
I am all over the place with music lately and I do love the Mule! There are plenty of other great bands like Widespread Panic, Umphrey's McGee and Foo Fighters. My brother turned me on to some of the new bluegrass stuff. A band called "Lake Street Dive" man, that gal has a great voice and shes not bad to look at either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89Oc1UE7SS4

Last night I was on a classic Cars tear followed by Frampton Comes Alive ... I stayed away from the Captain and Tennille though. I cant imagine waking up to find vintage Captain and Tennille collection strewn about the floor. I think I'd commit myself.
 
Older music from the 90's? I didn't think anything good came from that newer stuff. :D

Seriously, most of my listening pleasure was written at least 200 years ago. A large part of it from 300-400 years past.
 
I've got music from the teens and 20's that I like even... Then I've got stuff up to today..

Gary Clark Jr is pretty ass kickin; for a new artist, as is Jack white..

Yeah, there's a lot of new bubblegum crap out there today, but if you look, there's some great stuff... Check out Wooden Shjips.. another good newer band..
 
Anyone who claims to be a music lover and doesn't at least make an attempt to broaden their musical tastes and knowledge are doing themselves a great disservice. There is so much wonderful music in every genre, and from every era that to limit ones self is insane.

I don't get how anyone can take a narrow view of music listening to only one or two types. Your robbing yourself of so much music pleasure. I at least try most everything just to see what it might have that appeals to me. You never know what you might like if you don['t try it.

cubdog
 
Back
Top Bottom