• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Am I the only one that prefers older music?

Says you as the Picard palm slides away from your face. attaboy ;) welcome back :thmbsp:

That's my reaction whenever anyone brings up the "new music sucks" argument, in any situation, AK or elsewhere. I won't bother arguing my side further when it has already been done. Trying to change minds that can't be changed is futile. That doesn't mean I won't bring up an amusing coincidence related to new music when mariachi music somehow gets tossed in the discussion.
 
Last edited:
That's my reaction whenever anyone brings up the "new music sucks" argument, in any situation, AK or elsewhere. I won't bother arguing my side further when it has already been done. Trying to change minds that can't be changed is futile. That doesn't mean I won't bring up an amusing coincidence related to new music when mariachi music somehow gets tossed in the discussion.

heh. No argument here per se. T'was just ironically droll on your part. Calling for the "oh please" police when the revival actually spurred you to post a most worthy addition to the thread you poo-pood as unworthy of revival just minutes ago.

Thanks goodness this thread lives; yes? ;)
 
heh. No argument here per se. T'was just ironically droll on your part. Calling for the "oh please" police when the revival actually spurred you to post a most worthy addition to the thread you poo-pood as unworthy of revival just minutes ago.

Thanks goodness this thread lives; yes? ;)

It got revived with, "Back throughout the 70's and early 80's you had real music instead of all this mass produced crap." There is no need for more of that BS. You can find that on page 1. Facepalm justified and necessary. Also, by argument, I mean the argument as a whole, not with you. I "poo-poo'd" the need for these threads to exist. A tangent to mariachi music is barely relevant to the core of the thread, which is what I have a problem with.

You can try to spin it around and say I'm happy it's revived so I can make a tangent off of mariachi music. You'd be incorrect, though.

Maybe I should start a new thread: Why are the new vs. old threads always started and revived by the people who hate new music and never the other side? Why do they so desperately need the validation from others in the same camp that it has to come up time and time again?

That would be interesting, considering that hasn't been discussed every damn year.
 
Last edited:
Oh come on. We all need the rush that comes from usurping the "popular kids table" without having to forfeit our dubious anti-cred by buying into our own inflated hype. We love to define our enemies by the clothes they wear and the pretentious bands they like, when they tell us how the latest Rihanna single is a post-modern masterpiece, sporting a jacked-up Najavo haircut that would have been laughed at less than a decade ago. Fueled by a potent mixture of cocaine and latent insecurity, we define our own self-worth by the opinions of a stupid website with Satan as its figurehead, claiming to be raised on the Stooges all the while listening to bands from 2004.

Yeah, ok, I don't know what it means either, but it's a pretty cool song (other than that it was released in 2012).

Say Anything - Admit It Again
 
+1

Anyone who claims to be a music lover and doesn't at least make an attempt to broaden their musical tastes and knowledge are doing themselves a great disservice. There is so much wonderful music in every genre, and from every era that to limit ones self is insane.



I don't get how anyone can take a narrow view of music listening to only one or two types. Your robbing yourself of so much music pleasure. I at least try most everything just to see what it might have that appeals to me. You never know what you might like if you don['t try it.



cubdog





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I like music of all kinds and from most genres and from many different eras including the present. Nothing wrong with listening to old favorites but discovering new music is one of the joys of life.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
My face when I saw this thread got revived:

jqY6kkn.jpg


Better than another separate thread about the same subject like usual, I guess. I'm sure we'll see one in a couple months, though.

I know there are people on here that would make the same face if I told them that I play 21st century music about 90% of the time, even though about half of my collection is older.

.


86c170698ba656ee73fdb95cd2859734.jpg




This space intentionally left blank.
 
Last edited:
You sure you don't want to try more new music?
Ok, I know you were being sarcastic, and most of the stuff you posted was truly, truly bad... (Although I thought Paramore had a good idea for their video, even if most of the records they set seemed pretty easy to break--32 seconds spinning a record on your finger? I'm pretty sure I've done that a few times without even trying.)

...but...

I swear, this is some of the deepest stuff I've ever heard. It's very sophisticated.
Seriously. That was one of the greatest vids anyone has posted here yet. I mean, ok, it was still pretty bad, but it was so bad it was good, you know?

Do you wanna go on the Tilt-A-Whirl?
(C'mon girl, 'til ya hurl!)

That brought a tear to my eye.
 
Seriously. That was one of the greatest vids anyone has posted here yet. I mean, ok, it was still pretty bad, but it was so bad it was good, you know?

Do you wanna go on the Tilt-A-Whirl?
(C'mon girl, 'til ya hurl!)

That brought a tear to my eye.

I absolutely love Brite Futures, aka Natalie Portman's Shaved Head. :thmbsp:
They've got some great songs/videos, like this summer hit that never was, and this sweet house party. They never made any serious music, but they were hilarious. It was just a group of people having fun, but they unfortunately split up a couple years ago.

The songs I posted above are all songs I actually like, but not ones I'd bring up when seriously trying to argue that new music is great. But fo' real, though. That my s***.


I like throwing gasoline on a fire. :D


This space intentionally left blank.

I like gasoline, too.
 
Last edited:
c.coyle said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagecd

I honestly can't stand most of the new music, but I just love older songs from before the 90s. Is anyone the same way?

Not me. I love lots of pre-90s music, but there is more easily available, good, diverse music being recorded today than ever before. I love lots of it. Plus all the old stuff is still available.

We are living in a golden age.

agree. I like blues from the 1920's, to releases from last week. The good bands now do their own thing, they have no chance of getting picked up by a major label, and that's liberating in a sense.

it was like this in the early late 70's/ early 80's, when major labels ignored the changing musical tastes.


Posted from Audiokarma.org App for Android
 
agree. I like blues from the 1920's, to releases from last week. The good bands now do their own thing, they have no chance of getting picked up by a major label, and that's liberating in a sense.

it was like this in the early late 70's/ early 80's, when major labels ignored the changing musical tastes.


Posted from Audiokarma.org App for Android


what about the classics from the 19th, 18th, 17th... century?
 
Back
Top Bottom