• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Am I the only one that prefers older music?

Paul Simon iirc was the epicenter of the world music movement for some time, the PBS special on Graceland was an eye opener on good intentions and the consequences of concurrent politics.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
Paul Simon iirc was the epicenter of the world music movement for some time, the PBS special on Graceland was an eye opener on good intentions and the consequences of concurrent politics.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I saw that years ago on PBS, It inspired me to purchase the Graceland album... Graceland led me to Ladysmith Black Mambazo... I've seen them live a few times .... Check them out!
Ladysmith led me to Afro-Celtic Sound System...
Old music leading to new music ... And the cycle perpetuates itself and new music is discovered!
 
I actually like music before my time. The music of Sinatra, Martin, Vaughn, and Cole is timeless. A lot of today's music has the shelf life of a carton of milk.





This space intentionally left blank.

Very true, I'm addicted to BeBop era jazz and from my own era early punk and New Wave.
 
Ok, we are a month and 1/2 into the new year and I have listened to about 20 2015 releases, most several times. It is my INDISPUTABLE conclusion that new music is very much alive and well with great new sounds and songs being created daily. As good as anything previously released in your youth. If you disagree, you are flat out WRONG.

I hope this helps those in denial.

peace brothers :smoke:
 
I like a lot of older musicS:

Various kinds of classical (not so much arias that sound like the old cow dying).

Various kinds of folk music from various parts of the world.

Jug band, hot jazz, and novelty tunes, especially of the 1920s-30s.

Some blues, some country, definitely western-swing.

Bing Crosby, Peggy Lee, Rosemay Clooney, Jo Stafford, Tony Bennett (still going strong), Willie Nelson.

Some acoustic singer-song writer and jazz up to the present.

My favorite rock, folk-rock artists from my youth (the 1950s-70s)

...but almost no other pop music from 1980 on. It is somebody else's job to listen to it.
 
Well, frankly I think this has gone a bit off topic. The title of the discussion was who prefers old music. To me it depends on my mood. I'm a little ashamed of much of the new music I like now. I should move my sound system into the closet. Taylor Swift's music can't but work its way into your head. And Damn she's sexy. ;)
 
Ok, we are a month and 1/2 into the new year and I have listened to about 20 2015 releases, most several times. It is my INDISPUTABLE conclusion that new music is very much alive and well with great new sounds and songs being created daily. As good as anything previously released in your youth. If you disagree, you are flat out WRONG.



:


It is your conclusion, but not every participant's in this thread. So no one is wrong.



This space intentionally left blank.
 
Last edited:
No. I always find lots of things to appreciate from different decades. I have no "cut-off" date or specific years that I refuse to listen to or can't really appreciate. There's various genres and styles I don't like, but there's always more I can get into.
 
It's hard to disassociate oneself from decades of listening to music deemed good by oneself and other peers and to accept as listenable the utter onslaught of most "new" contemporary music one doesn't deem worthwhile for more than a one time listen.
I think it's could be called cognitive dissonance, mild disdain or just complete disinterest founded upon repeated disappointment:)
 
Back throughout the 70's and early 80's you had real music instead of all this mass produced crap. I've just watched this interview with Buster Blood vessel from Bad Manners (they had quite a few no.1 hits in early 80's UK and deservedly so).
I whole heartedly agree with everything he says about the state of the music industry today in the last few minutes of the interview. Very sad,but perfectly true and he should know!





https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH0BYRzUxM0
 
I could argue that nothing is worse than Muskrat Love. But hey, if it's from the 70's, it must be good.

cubdog



Where's the likes of The Clash,The Specials,The Beat,or even The Selecter in today's music. Back then you had to have actual musical talent to get anywhere. Today,you just don't need any (just a pretty teeny popper face on Pop Idol). That's the bottom line in my opinion... sad but true!
 
Where's the likes of The Clash,The Specials,The Beat,or even The Selecter in today's music. Back then you had to have actual musical talent to get anywhere. Today,you just don't need any (just a pretty teeny popper face on Pop Idol). That's the bottom line in my opinion... sad but true!

IIRC, initially, part of the gimmick with the punk thing was pride of a lack of talent or skill.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
Talent worked, no talent worked; I would submit that in the 60s or 70s you got exposure by being different and creative. Sometimes that made you popular, and sometimes it didn't, but you got a fair shot at some press and some airplay just by putting something out there that nobody had ever heard before. There was still some top 40 pablum, but you didn't HAVE to put out pablum to be heard.

From the mid-80s on, conformity became the name of the game in popular music. If you didn't sound like the last hit, you weren't given a shot to be the next hit, and artists who wanted to make money conformed to the pop music standard of the time. Creative bands were largely driven underground, or became "alternative"--which once actually meant something. Now there's kind of a production standard for "alternative" too, which has turned it into just another branch of pop, but that only strengthens the point I'm making.

Anyway, it's not so much vapidity or lack of talent that has ruined "pop" music--those things always have existed and always will exist in pop music--but it is the restriction on creativity, individuality and new forms of expression that has stagnated the genre. I value those ideals in just about any type of music.
 
IIRC, initially, part of the gimmick with the punk thing was pride of a lack of talent or skill.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I can add that 'punk' was about "attitude" and energy, talent and skill were secondary but not necessarily absent.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom