• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

And then ... there were two more ...

Register to hide this ad
Both came from a gentleman who has owned them since the '80s. He upgraded to 611s and I couldn't say no.

One needs a power switch, which he supplied. Hey, I needed a few small amps ya' know. News to follow...
Well you can never have enough Mac's. Keep it going!
 
Does anyone know off the top of their head which bulb Mc used for the meter illumination on these? And is it the same as the 2500?
 
Does anyone know off the top of their head which bulb Mc used for the meter illumination on these? And is it the same as the 2500?
GE 259 wedge lamps. Not sure about the 2500.

I first thought they were 256s, but thats not right.
 
Last edited:
Amp #1 ...

Power switch replaced - seller supplied an NOS one.

Meter illuminated repaired - replaced fried header connector, caused by cold solder joints on the PCB side - all reflowed.

Filter caps swapped - one was leaking, and I didn't notice this on collection.

She now sings like you'd expect!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1831.jpeg
    IMG_1831.jpeg
    263.3 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1836.jpeg
    IMG_1836.jpeg
    217.9 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1578.jpeg
    IMG_1578.jpeg
    198.5 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1577.jpeg
    IMG_1577.jpeg
    209.3 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1575.jpeg
    IMG_1575.jpeg
    202.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1576.jpeg
    IMG_1576.jpeg
    178.8 KB · Views: 47
Amp #1 ...

Power switch replaced - seller supplied an NOS one.

Meter illuminated repaired - replaced fried header connector, caused by cold solder joints on the PCB side - all reflowed.

Filter caps swapped - one was leaking, and I didn't notice this on collection.

She now sings like you'd expect!
Wow! That cap was nuked!!!
 
Amp #2, victory lap.

Filter caps checked out on this one - actually exceeding spec. Replaced the bulb behind the Mc logo and cleaned it all up. Sounds awesome - been listening to it for a few hours now.

Not bad for a 40yo amp ...
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1949.jpeg
    IMG_1949.jpeg
    189 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1947.jpeg
    IMG_1947.jpeg
    213.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1946.jpeg
    IMG_1946.jpeg
    207.5 KB · Views: 33
Any noticeable differences between the 7270 and 2600(?)?

I’m curious also.

I had the 2255 & 2250 which were the pre cost cutting 7270, and also the 7300 which was the same generation (half of a 2600) as the 2600, and felt that I did hear a difference. Significantly improved in specs and a balanced input on the 7300/2600 but can you hear it is the real question.
 
Back
Top Bottom