• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Another Pot Stem Repair

Like this?
:)
A serious answer to my silly question. I figure if I have a pot with a broken stainless shaft, there are probably bigger problems.
Still, for an upcoming project I will be extending a 1/8" shaft with a short coupler - very handy.

20191116_124310.jpg
 
Yup, that'll get you there. Just grind a really sharp tungsten and feather the pedal. You probably won't even need any filler. The tough part will be the ground.
 
I lieu of a thousand words:

PotRepair01.jpg


Bass pot FAIL! (with donor stem)

PotRepair02.jpg


Drilled

PotRepair03.jpg


Tapped

PotRepair04.jpg


M3.5-0.5 x 10 thread stud, LocTite 242 to secure it in place.
The pictures have disappeared.
 
Nice job! For those of us without precision drilling equipment, you could have joined the two shafts with JB Weld and a brass sleeve-like the piece shown in your first photo but apparently not used.
Rick
 
Why not just upload them to the AK thread and don't worry about a hosting service? Then they never go away.
 
I did that in that last post. Previously I was hosting them in my web space since AK has a limitation on file size. I have posted schematics which become useless/illegible when downsized to the file size limit. If I have to create thumbnails just to display them in a thread and then link those to a usable image off-site, I might just as well go through the whole HTML process and write a complete site - Like AK used to function.
 
Well, I have a broken volume shaft on a QX-727 (Thanks UPS). I don't have a lathe (wish I did) but I do have a drill press. I'm no machinist, but I'm good with tools. Any suggestions on how I can fix mine with the tools a I have? I was thinking about making some kind of centering jig? I've been watching ebay for a replacement, but nothing so far.
 
This
Nice job! For those of us without precision drilling equipment, you could have joined the two shafts with JB Weld and a brass sleeve-like the piece shown in your first photo but apparently not used.
Rick
THIS!! I've been gathering taps and drill bits and planned to make a drill alignment jig so that I could drill and tap my broken QX-7R7 volume control shaft. You solution is much simpler IF I can find tubing with the right I.D.
 
For repairing my broken volume pot shaft, I found stainless tubing that has the perfect ID and OD to use as a sleeve.

I drilled two small holes into the broken shaft without being too concerned with their placement. I plan on putting pins (the shank from the drill bit) into the holes then making one larger hole into the donor shaft for the pins to fit into.

I'll cut the donor shaft and sleeve to the proper lengths then assemble the whole thing with JB weld on the inside of the tubing.

I think it will work, if not, at least I didn't have (get) to buy a lathe, and I'll keep looking for the correct donor pot. The volume control turns easily, and JB Weld is pretty amazing as epoxies go.
 
Back
Top Bottom