• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Anyone else using pro-audio speakers?

This is what I like with pro parts so far. A friend gave me a good deal on some of it. It was years of picking deals in the classifieds after that.

The subs are JBL 4645, woofers are part of a JBL Cabaret 4628, horn drivers are JBL 2445H.

1773262690245.png
 
I use some pro stuff in the garage.

JBL SR4732A, SR4719X, and Yorkville CU15.

Guess one could call these pro speakers, sorta; have a pair of Mackie HR824 I sometimes set up in the house.
 
Nah.. just a pair of semi modern 15" Cerwin Vegas. They sound pretty decent. I have them sitting on rubber and it keeps everything from resonating lol..
 
Well, I am running Klipsch LSI splits being driven by a vintage CJ pre-amp connected to a vintage MC2105 amp. When I have the need to up the power I have a re-capped Hafler P-500 waiting in the wings to drive the LSI to pretty high volume.

IMG_0383.jpeg
 
"Pro" speakers can be quite nice, when they're oriented towards high fidelity.

I stuffed a pair of near-7 foot tall ElectroVoice VariplexB's in my bedroom for a while, and it sounded great, other than the drastic difference in height of where the frequencies were coming from:

(that's a 34" widescreen CRT for scale)

10426674_10155283175640467_5946273138288160150_n%201.jpg


Driven by this rack:
18799_10155254957185467_4436715136928307208_n%202.jpg



My current living room system is a pair of EV Georgians as bass cabs with EAW CX-294 horn loaded 12" midranges:

11951827_10155820835690467_4006770503514566852_n.jpg

11921622_10155820835730467_8969873115182666211_n.jpg

11900021_10155820835765467_6656224655610685311_n.jpg

(please ignore crossover HF setting, I had a really dirty switch)
11904116_10155820835830467_1967488838516689929_n.jpg



These are my EV 30W's in utility cabs (I'm sure they were intended for professional use) with HPS SR-70's on top. The SR-70 is a Klipsch Heresy that's in a slightly bigger cabinet (I think) and is better built:
10891860_10154888823025467_8228177990070492458_n.jpg



My friend's system that now occupies the same room is a bunch of VariplexB's and TL-770D's. I have the same exact speaker setup in storage for when I get space:
11269086_10155446647315467_1712336375307310936_n.jpg


I also really like ElectroVoice Sentry 100A's, which I now have six of (seeing a trend here? :) ):
1526086_10155110057870467_4885518511379854528_n.jpg

19707_10152538335725467_207994239_n.jpg


And, finally, in my bedroom system, I seem to have settled on ElectroVoice Sentry III's as my main speakers, and I really like them. Some might argue that they're more home oriented, but they were marketed to the professionals, and I believe found their first use in far more professional installations than home systems. (they now have the proper ST350A's):

There's a 50" plasma and Yamaha PC-5002M for scale.
sentryiii%20-%201_1.jpg
A note: EV Sentry 100A was mainly marketed to AM/FM broadcast stations as a control room monitor loudspeaker. Never marketed as a home loudspeaker (in that era, the Interface A was marketed to home users).
 
I like where you're going with this. These speakers have been entered into the shopping list. Looked at Bryston and Powersoft for years.

I've recently purchased another pair of coated diaphragms they seem like a bargain so far. There are a few different home and pro cabinets like the 4645C that have the 2242H. It seems that it would be a nice pairing.

I made up some speaker cables to pin2+2- for the HF and stole the B4 to run as HF amp. the setup wizard got me close enough and I ran the auto Eq with RTA mic. sounds great!, the M30D is on the mid 2226.
I had not noticed that the NL4 plugs on speaker are always effectively for biamp, the jumpers join 1+ and 2+, 1- and 2- I had been thinking it was like "home audio" where the top speakon naturally went to the HF and the lower one went to LF. (this is not correct they both go to HF and LF always) looking at JBL pro spec sheet WITH reading glasses on made it all come clear!
 
I made up some speaker cables to pin2+2- for the HF and stole the B4 to run as HF amp. the setup wizard got me close enough and I ran the auto Eq with RTA mic. sounds great!, the M30D is on the mid 2226.
I had not noticed that the NL4 plugs on speaker are always effectively for biamp, the jumpers join 1+ and 2+, 1- and 2- I had been thinking it was like "home audio" where the top speakon naturally went to the HF and the lower one went to LF. (this is not correct they both go to HF and LF always) looking at JBL pro spec sheet WITH reading glasses on made it all come clear!
Yes, that's a nice option to bi-amp. Needs the DSC260 or some other line-level equivalent filtering.

Looked at the schematic and still have questions. If I see a pair of these laying around at the right price, I will be verifying everything with a multimeter.

"The SP215-6 is equipped with a passive
crossover that can be switched to bi-amplified
use via an easily accessible internal tamper
resistant selector. Bi-amplified mode, utilizing
the DSC260 digital controller for crossover,
signal alignment, and equalization functions,
provides optimum system performance."

https://aetechron.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/09/JBL_SP215-6WH_Tech-Manual_Rev_N.pdf
 
Back
Top Bottom