• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Audiokarma Manufacturers Forums - Add ARC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

techguy0192

Listen to the whistle of the evenin' train
Subscriber
Checking to see if there's any interest in adding Audio Research to the manufacturers section?
I know there are many of us here with ARC gear, that ranges from new to vintage. :banana:

ARC_SP3A1_flyer2_front.jpg
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Judging by the overall level of disinformation, misinformation, unwarranted criticism and general "hate-on" that many members of AK display towards Audio Research Corporation equipment, I wouldn't bother.

Nice pic, that model resides (permanently) in my main system.
 
nope, too many already.

So, drop Eico. That section has the least activity.

Judging by the overall level of disinformation, misinformation, unwarranted criticism and general "hate-on" that many members of AK display towards Audio Research Corporation equipment, I wouldn't bother.

Nice pic, that model resides (permanently) in my main system.

That's where members like you and I come in. Setting the information straight and helping other ARC owners. Can't say I have seen that much hate, but yes, there are some misinformed people here.
 
that model resides (permanently) in my main system.
Mine is Black and Gold.

Why is ARC so maligned? I do not own the equipment, as it's above what I could ever hope to afford.
That is part of the reason folks hate it. Can't get it cheap and doesn't blue light special like McIntosh so there is some hatred along with the overall receiver dominance on ak.

Audio Research is hidden in the system building outhouse under high end separates from the past. Seems when that crap is discussed in the open forums, some receiver proponents bomb in and mess up the thread.
 
Why is ARC so maligned? I do not own the equipment, as it's above what I could ever hope to afford.

I have never understood the negativity I often see around here, especially from what I believed were skilled technical people that I generally held in high regard. I gotta say, I'm really quite disappointed with much of what I'm reading. Meh, whatever.

Honestly, just keep your eyes and ears open, and sometimes you'll get lucky. Believe me, as much as I love ARC, I could never see myself paying retail. All of mine are used but in excellent shape. Although several are desperately overdue for a rebuild:oops:
 
I have never understood the negativity I often see around here, especially from what I believed were skilled technical people that I generally held in high regard. I gotta say, I'm really quite disappointed with much of what I'm reading. Meh, whatever.

Honestly, just keep your eyes and ears open, and sometimes you'll get lucky. Believe me, as much as I love ARC, I could never see myself paying retail. All of mine are used but in excellent shape. Although several are desperately overdue for a rebuild:oops:
I hear you on the negativity around here. I was bashed the other day and for making a mistake with a misspelling and it was from a business which I assumed was supposed to be a professional.

You would think I would own Arc gear since it’s a preferred Pre/Amp for my Vandersteens , but I’ve never owned them, maybe one day who knows beautiful gear and sounds excellent .

Audiofreak71
 
Nice pic, that model resides (permanently) in my main system.
Hearing ARC gear driving Tympani IIIs when I was 17 was a pivotal moment that completely recalibrated my perspective of how realistic an audio system could sound. I was using a Citation 11 at the time, but clearly recall when the shop owner who sold me the preamp (along with other stuff) lent me his SP-3a for a weekend. The shakers that open "Do It Again" were rendered so clearly and naturally. That was a stark contrast to hearing a C-28 about the same time where my response was *meh*.

I've been an ARC fan ever since. Purchased an SP-6C in '81 and now enjoy an SP20 along with a DAC8.

As for a separate forum, I think overall traffic would be small.
 
The moderators have already indicated in multiple past threads that they won't be adding any additional forums to the manufacturers section.
 
If ARC had ever made a receiver there would be plenty of willing AK posters.:eek:

I've always been a little puzzled by the lack of interest on AK in Magnum Dynalab products. They make a receiver that's a strong contender for the best ever made. Their integrated amplifiers are superb. That they make probably the best tuner currently available goes completely ignored. All of their products are hand made in Canada.:thumbsup:

Oh well, I suppose you could chalk it up to the generally negative attitude on AK for any "High End" product.:dunno:

FWIW: I've had three preamps since 1976. The first was a Dynaco PAS-3. It was built from a kit and suffered quite a few modifications. The second was an ARC SP-3A MKIII. The last and my current preamp is an ARC SP-9 MKIII acquired new in 1984. It was upgraded to MKIII status by ARC and has been to the factory two other times to get a "tune up".:biggrin:
 
The last and my current preamp is an ARC SP-9 MKIII acquired new in 1984. It was upgraded to MKIII status by ARC...
Sorry to split hairs, but you mean 1994. I purchased mine a couple of years later and similarly had the factory upgrade it to MKIII status.
 
Of course ARC should be recognized in the manufacturer’s section. Holy cow, it looks like we’ve already got one right here.
I’ve owned and lusted after nearly every piece they make and would love to have a place to get the low down—especially on used gear and the changes the company has gone through. I’m in.
 
Sorry to split hairs, but you mean 1994. I purchased mine a couple of years later and similarly had the factory upgrade it to MKIII status.

You are correct Sir. Please forgive my error. I'm old, my eyesight is bad and my reflexes are shot.:D

My lady friend says I frequently act like I'm 33 instead of 73. What does she know? She's only known me for 45 years.:naughty:
 
ARC is under new management, having been kicked out of the McIntosh Group when purchased by former sales management. We probably ought to let the dust settle and see if they can get back to basics before the forums are all realigned to give them a spot at the table.

Heck there is little traction of the few threads about their gear in the ostracized Vintage High End forum where vintage and cheap are not necessisarily the common thread of all discussions.
 
Why is ARC so maligned? I do not own the equipment, as it's above what I could ever hope to afford.

I don't think they are maligned really - I auditioned an ARC/Magico/Emm Labs (and I forget the power amp used) and I was rather impressed. But let's assume someone disliked the sound - people tend to pick something to blame - so if they heard Magico speakers sound good a year ago - and an EMM Labs sound good 2 years ago - then maybe they say - well it must be the ARC that's not good.

What is that saying "success breeds contempt." Perhaps some folks have a streak of envy and rip them - dealers do that a lot - they are upset because some other dealer is selling a big sales maker like ARC while they're trying to sell some Chinese tube amp maker no one has heard of. I have been doing a healthy amount of auditioning of late and some of the better amps I've heard are the boring ole big name usual suspects - ARC, McIntosh, Accuphase, Luxman - granted the least expensive ones was around $8,000 so they SHOULD be good - but they are. That's why they have been selling for longer than I've been alive.

Now whether you will personally like them all equally is another matter of course but none of these should be maligned. I will poke fun at some of the McIntosh units for some of the over-the-top aesthetics of some of their gear however. But if it sounds good it sounds good. I have not actually heard their newer over-the-top products.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom