• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Audiophile Router?

I’m not experiencing any problems per se, but just looking to see if I can improve on the already good quality Hi-Res 24/192 audio quality with CAT8 ethernet.

I am running ADSL 25Mbps until my service provider finishes upgrading to fiber. I happy with the internet service now and am looking to tweak it by any means possible.

My router is located about 50 feet away from my audio internet streaming PC and is connected via CAT6 ethernet. I have made other small changes (battery powered DAC) with very good results.

I’m just wondering if upgrading my internet data transmission line to shielded CAT8 will yield any sonic improvements?
If you are not getting any dropouts or other anomalies, not sure changing the ENET cable would make a difference. As others have noted here, all things considered, even the highest resolution audio is relatively low bandwidth compared to, lets say, 4K video.

That said, the cable you're looking at is not too expensive so there is not any real risk in blowing money.
 
So the person, you, calling me out as building and burning a straw man...
Such is established fact. Your commentary about:

"these "audiophile" network cables will allow a 1Gb port to magically operate at 2Gb just because the cables are so fantastic."

exists only in your imagination.

You started this and I do not back down.
At the expense of confusing the issue with facts, you presented the first of your *challenges* by quoting one of my posts in # 23 then referring to a product that was never in discussion by anyone. Maybe that makes sense to you. My interaction with you has solely been answering your questions/bogus assumptions.

Simply amazing.

Have a nice day!
 
Such is established fact. Your commentary about:

"these "audiophile" network cables will allow a 1Gb port to magically operate at 2Gb just because the cables are so fantastic."

exists only in your imagination.


At the expense of confusing the issue with facts, you presented the first of your *challenges* by quoting one of my posts in # 23 then referring to a product that was never in discussion by anyone. Maybe that makes sense to you. My interaction with you has solely been answering your questions/bogus assumptions.

Simply amazing.

Have a nice day!

Again...what is with your inability to accurately quote my response!? Let me explain it for you....it's fairly simple. You click quote and do not make edits. Can you handle that? I can explain it to you....but I cannot understand it for you.

What I actually said....

"So with your logic on Ethernet cables...are you assuming that these "audiophile" network cables will allow a 1Gb port to magically operate at 2Gb just because the cables are so fantastic. If so, I hate to break it to you, but that's not how it works, end of discussion."

To your response of "My interaction with you has solely been answering your questions/bogus assumptions." Yeah...right....that's a total load of crap. Keep believing your false construct.

I suppose that your "have a nice day" means you are finally conceding and throwing in the towel.
 
Ah ha..... So the person, you, calling me out as building and burning a straw man is actually the person that continues to reference post numbers rather than quote my response in totality. That is intentional omission, an extra effort on your part, and a strategy to win an argument.

Failure to quote my full response can be see as a lack of integrity. You do realize that part of the definition of straw man is as follows - "a person regarded as having no substance or integrity".

Here is what has actually happened during this exchange. My initial responses to this thread were lighthearted. You decide that it was necessary to start something with me after I posted a documented dissection of a $340 AudioQuest Ethernet cable. The images and text was lifted from the site, that I also provided a link to. Maybe seeing the truth of what the actual construction of these proclaimed "audiophile" cables looks like was too much for you? I'm sure the shattering of the placebo effect of Ethernet cables that tout minimal phase corruption or battery packs attached to cables is difficult.

Lastly, your final sentence - "this is tiresome". Early on in life I learned don't start something you cannot finish. It appears that now you are getting to learn that lesson. Feel free to keep it up. You started this and I do not back down.
This conversation must be with someone I have on Ignore.:idea:
 
"Throwing in the towel" about exactly what?

Kindly reference something I've actually posted.

I'm not the person having problems referencing something you have posted....YOU are. For full disclosure, I will quote the references below for your convince. I don't play that edit something until it fits my argument game that you appear to enjoy. You do realize that it should be fairly simple to make the correct correlation in regards to "exactly what". It was just moments ago you posted those replies.

  • Tiresome reference
  • Have a nice day! - post ending.

All anyone has to do is read the text of yours which I quoted in post #67 - followed by my response to that text. Should be crystal clear.

You created an imaginary straw man then proceeded to burn it. Congratulations!

This is tiresome.

Such is established fact. Your commentary about:

"these "audiophile" network cables will allow a 1Gb port to magically operate at 2Gb just because the cables are so fantastic."

exists only in your imagination.


At the expense of confusing the issue with facts, you presented the first of your *challenges* by quoting one of my posts in # 23 then referring to a product that was never in discussion by anyone. Maybe that makes sense to you. My interaction with you has solely been answering your questions/bogus assumptions.

Simply amazing.

Have a nice day!
 
Self-aggrandizing and belittling of others and their equipment by a particular member forced me to utilize the ignore function. Hear No Evil, See No...

Would it happen to be someone that owns a pair of Sound Lab U-1PX speakers? ;)
 
It was just moments ago you posted those replies.

  • Tiresome reference
  • Have a nice day! - post ending.
So exactly what am I "conceding"?

Would it happen to be someone that owns a pair of Sound Lab U-1PX speakers?
In the case of digital playback, it would be because I use an Audio Research DAC8 with balanced cables sourced by an ultraRendu/Uptone LPS-1.

It's a shame that Lossless keeps seeking better in the wrong places. In this thread alone, he continues to ask questions that others have answered previously, i.e. use of shielded ethernet cable.
 
Last edited:
So exactly what am I "conceding"?


In the case of digital playback, it would be because I use an Audio Research DAC8 using balanced cables with an ultraRendu/Sonore LPS-1. It's a shame that Lossless keeps seeking better in the wrong places.

Conceding to losing out in this exchange.

So, are you admitting to belittling the system owned by my buddy Lossless? That's not cool and says a lot about you as a person. Screw belittling what a person has worked to build and investing their hard earned money into.

Failing to see why your DAC is now being dragged into this discussion. Oh wait...that was a humblebrag on your part. ;)
 
Last edited:
It's a shame that Lossless keeps seeking better in the wrong places. In this thread alone, he continues to ask questions that others have answered previously,
What you haven't noticed all the troll threads Lossless starts each week sometimes three or five a week.
49 thread starts, 852 comments in 5 months:rolleyes:
 
Same for me. I would spend my money elsewhere.

Like upgrading the DAC to a standalone unit using discrete output devices.
E-Stat, I feel you have a hard time understanding some don't have McIntosh separates or 8 foot electrostatic speakers figured in their Hi-Fi budget. That doesn't make them less of an audiophile.

My 24bit/192kHz full MQA rendering and decoding Meridian Explorer 2 DAC sounds better than many of the standalone units I've heard. You have regularly dismissed my "$200 DAC hanging off the side of a computer" without ever hearing one, but instead casting your judgement based on the price. That prejudging and what I stated in post #88 is very unbecoming. That type of attitude turns newbies like myself off. So, I'd rather just hit ignore; That way I don't have to endure that type of arrogance or ignorance from a grown man.
 
Last edited:
Conceding to losing out in this exchange.
"Losing out"? Whatever you say!

So, are you admitting to belittling the system owned by my buddy Lossless?
That is his perception. He seeks better but does not accept advice from others that upgrading his Meridian Explorer 2 is where he needs to focus his efforts. Not spending money moving from CAT6 to CAT8.

Failing to see why your DAC is now being dragged into this discussion.
My observations about the limitations of a $200 DAC have nothing to do with speakers as you aver. Lets see. Are you still using your multi-thousand dollar Ayre CD player? Charlie Hansen posted frequently over at AA until his untimely death. He provided a wealth of useful knowledge and fathered a range of superlative components.
 
Last edited:
You have regularly dismissed my "$200 DAC hanging off the side of a computer" without ever hearing one, but instead casting your judgement based on the price.
I base my opinion on that of others who have owned it along with countless other DACs. Do follow both links for more information.

If you visit my profile page, you'll notice a link with information and pics of my systems. Ignore the main one. Look instead to the garage system using Advents. Note what DAC I use there and how I've upgraded it.
 
Last edited:
Great...thanks....now some company is going to cook up an "audiophile" home router. Just what we need.:crazy:
Post #6

That was my exact thoughts too. Snake oil? A bit is a bit, I think?:dunno:
Post #7
Then why did you start the thread, trolling? when your opinion is made up. As soon as you find a validating member to your thinking you just keep batting the thread, and here you two are on page 5 tag teaming another member.
 
"Losing out"? Whatever you say!


That is his perception. He seeks better but does not accept advice from others that upgrading his Meridian Explorer 2 is where he needs to focus his efforts. Not spending money moving from CAT6 to CAT8.


My observations about the limitations of a $200 DAC have nothing to do with speakers as you aver. Lets see. Are you still using your multi-thousand dollar Ayre CD player?

You're the one trying to drag my equipment into this in an attempt to gain leverage.

Whether or not I'm still using an Ayre CD player, is none of your damn business.
 
Post #6


Post #7
Then why did you start the thread, trolling? when your opinion is made up. As soon as you find a validating member to your thinking you just keep batting the thread, and here you two are on page 5 tag teaming another member.
I'm sorry; What did you say? You too have been on my ignore list since I joined. I prefer not having to constantly defend myself from silliness and ridiculous trolling claims, only to have my thread topic misdirected and thread closed for nonsense created by particular people trying to incite members.
 
Last edited:
So, are you admitting to belittling the system owned by my buddy Lossless?
That's funny, because in your sig you have
"Living on a plantation, with $10K+ of stereo equipment, wearing alligator shoes."

And that came from your thread when you first got here acting all snobbish and another member said something like that to you. How rich....

You also instantly turned this thread into a cabe **** fest right out the gate

Exactly. Sorta like a $10 vs $10,000 toslink cable. It's passing light across plastic (glass is less common), so I'll save my money. Digital signals either get their or they do not....no in the middle.

Wifi single dropping....run cable....that simple.
Post #8 and your second comment...and your going to judge others...LMAO
 
Back
Top Bottom