• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

B & W Pics

Pile of rusty old gear chains. Canon G10.

5339503720_257df7d20a.jpg
 
5557425788_318937dbff_z.jpg


Canon A2e w EF 35-70mm f3.5-4.5
Ilford HP 5 400 ASA
Developed in Ilfosol 3 at 1 to 9 dilution @ 6min 30secs

Mike :D
 
Finally had a day to get out without rain and clouds. I was playing around with this one tonight, let me know what you think. Good, bad, dark, bad crop, good crop. I'm working on a workflow and need all the input I can get. I was going for the textures on this one.
 

Attachments

  • Brick window small.jpg
    Brick window small.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 29
  • Brick window small_cr1.jpg
    Brick window small_cr1.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Brick window small_cr2.jpg
    Brick window small_cr2.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Finally had a day to get out without rain and clouds. I was playing around with this one tonight, let me know what you think. Good, bad, dark, bad crop, good crop. I'm working on a workflow and need all the input I can get. I was going for the textures on this one.

The B&W is nice and I do like the textures in this image. The only suggestion I would make is to crop out the piece of pipe in the upper left corner. This would move the window and long pipe a little to the left and make the picture more focused on that. Just MHO.
 
Honest criticism meant to be constructive.

Yes it is contrasty but I don't mind. I prefer to up the contrast on 99.9% of my shots too.

When going for textures you need to be right up on it. Your shot is more patterns, less textures.

There is no composition to the shot. It is bisected by the pipe which is very distracting. If you apply the Rule Of Thirds to the shot there is nothing of interest (no subject) at any of the intersecting points.

So your photoshop is good but you need to live the Rule of Thirds (before you can successfully break it).
 
Don't worry, I have a thick skin. I knew that image would be a mess as far as compostition goes. That pipe runs right down the middle of the window. Off to the side was my only shot. This causes all sorts of problems trying to crop it. That pipe to the left was in then out and I decided to keep it as it showed how "modern" urban blight is encroaching on "vintage" urban blight. :D I think cropping it out helps though. If it was brick behind it instead of concrete, it might fit in better.

I do plan on going back down there when I get a nice sunny day and taking a ladder to get a better angle.

I added two crops to the original post. How do these work.
 
Sometimes it's better to just walk away from a shot that doesn't work. You already have a new plan of attack. That's what is important.
 

Attachments

  • re-edit.jpg
    re-edit.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 19
Caught at the perfect moment of concentration. Have you thought about cropping out some of the right side?
 
Back
Top Bottom