Agreed, but big names get it so wrong and have done for years.
It is surprising what one can achieve by slinging stuff together.
Worth a try especially if the parts are there.
Not nearly as often with really big names. Way, Way more likely to make a failure just "slinging parts together".....that will NEVER result in a speaker sysytem that works, and to suggest otherwise is flat irresponsible IMHO, and in the opinion of anyone who seriously designs speakers.
Sure you can throw things together and "call it good," how many times is it really good? Never I'd say. I built speaker like that in the 70's with generic crossovers, never resulted in anything approaching what I'm building today.
They would sound "good", but when you were in the stereo shope listening to well designed USA and English speakers, I always heard a coherency that I could never capture.
There are certain drivers that are easier to use than others, especially in a 2- way system. Many companies in the day, (who new a bit about speaker design) like Kloss for example, found many mid bass drivers that would naturally roll of w/o a crossover, then matched tweeters to them using first order crossovers.
But a threeway is a whole different kettle of fish. And most drivers, unless purpose designed for a specific speaker system, do anything but "roll off naturally", especially modern drivers with kevlar or various metals. People want to use them b/c they are the latest technology, but they generally have crazy rising response, which without a proper desigen crossover will NEVER sum properly.
Similarly, many drivers have wild swings of impedance over the frequency range. An 8 nominal ohm speaker is anything but Nominal. The impedance will vary from over 50 to as low a 2 ohms in some drivers, and a generic "8 ohm crossover" will never work because at the crossover frequency it isnt seeing anywhere near 8 ohms.
I wont even get into what this does for phase response, creating nulls, and all around ruined imaging. A total waste of money and drivers. I can personally guarantee you that selecting 3 drivers at random and putting them with a generic 3 way crossover will result in a speaker that sounds bad. Some may like it, but compare it to something properly designed and you will see what I mean. Then carefully measure with an RTA and observe the mess.
There are tons of proven "Recipies" out there that work fine. You will save money and be way more satisfied with the result. If you just want a frat house blaster, throw it together, who'll know the difference? Even if that was what I was building, I would still follow a proven path. There are lots of systems over the years that have been built and discussed here. Also Parts Express web site has a number of proven speakers designs.
After building several "throw togethers" the first real scienced out speaker I built was a clone of the JM labs micron. From a review, I knew the cu ft and the tuning point and what the impedance curve looked like. The drivers were available from Orca at the time, and contacting Kimon Bellas of Orca, persuaded him to send me the Micron's crossover schematic. This little satelite blew the doors off all the projects I had built up to that time. Really opened my eyes about how much I needed to learn.
The next project was another focal driver deal, designed by Joseph D'Appolito,
the Aria 5, which was another success, becuase of proper design. This sort of performance will never, repeat NEVER happen just throwing things together.
If you must "throw together," at least buy The 99 buck woofer measuring systen from parts express, a Behringer DEQ 2496 RTA ( inexpensive, and quite usuable) and either learn your way around spice, or one of the commercial speaker designing programs.
Russellc