• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Best cartridges for Rek-O-Kut S-320 tonearm?

If I'm remembering right, that small hole is an access to a set screw which will free that entire sleeve.

Looking back at my adventure with little wayward balls, I'd try flooding the bearing with Rosonol, turning the bearing a few revolutions, blowing it dry with canned/compressed air, and then lubing it. Three-In-One blue label might work or Turbine Oil from Ace Hardware. The Turbo has a long narrow spout, which is handy for small amounts in tight places. If the bearing is as dirty as mine was, two or three flushes may be necessary.

I hope this may be helpful. You've put a lot of effort into reviving that ROK and it would be a shame if you were stymied at this last hurdle.
 
I'll have to look for the photos I took of my S-320 arm when I overhauled it, but if memory serves me, you need to remove the lateral balance weight and then unscrew the stud that it is mounted on. That stud also acts as the outboard bearing pivot. The knurled thumbscrew on top of the assembly will need to be removed as well as the counterweight. Pull the arm tube out of the pivot assembly and you should have access to the nut or whatever (it's been a while since I did it) holds the post to the pivot assembly. Clear as mud? I'll look for the photos tomorrow and upload them.
 

Thanks! You "ROK!"

I looked at your pictures and still have a few questions.

Here's a better annotation of the chatter location in my tonearm. The long cylinder tube is stationary. The thin piece that sits on it -- directly below the gimbal -- rocks back and forth a bit (has chatter). I noted that piece with one line and two arrows. That thin piece is solid and attached to the gimbal. It only appears loose where it connects to the tall cylinder below it.

How do I separate those two pieces to fix the chatter -- and what could cause that looseness? Do the bearings require lubrication or grease? Will I find horizontal bearings in that location?

rekoslop.jpg
 
Yes, there are bearings in there. The bearing race is aluminum, not hardened steel as one would expect, so there may be some wear causing the play.

I would suggest disassembling the entire tonearm so that you can clean and re-lube all of the bearings.
 
Back
Top Bottom