• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Best speakers you have ever heard?

A pair of 6ft. tall MartinLogans being fed by a Sony HT receiver in a Tweeter about two years ago. Simply sensational.
Tom
 
In the late 70s, I walked into an audio store on Long Island, sat down and heard Steely Dan doing "Hey Nineteen" on a pair of KLH Model Nine Electrostatics. I have no idea what was driving them, but I still get goosebumps thinking about that incredible sound............by far the best sounding, most realistic speakers I've ever heard. I've been tempted to pick up a pair, but I'm afraid I might destroy that memory. :D
 
Polk Audio

Back in the mid-70s I went into a stereo shop to listen to some speakers, and the salesman immediately took me over to listen to some new ones that had just arrived. They were called Polk Audio- I have no idea what model they were. The music was simply the best thing I had ever heard coming out of a speaker. I can't even remember the name of the album he was playing, and I'm sure I've heard better since, but I can't remember when. Nothing big, nothing fancy, just sounded awesome! :smoke:
 
In the 60's I regularly visited the Acoustic Research listening booth in Grand Central Station. The AR3's powered by the Dynaco ST 70 tube amp and the AR3a's powered by the AR 60 watt/channel amp were my favorites. Never was able to get up the cash for the 3a's, though. They played beautiful classical pieces on an AR turntable, and my favorite was the suite from Carmen.
 
In a live vs. recorded demonstration in 1960 it was AR 3's driven by McIntosh MC 75's. Today, I own AR3a's and drive them with a ST 70. The rest of the system is McIntosh but I will have to wait till I either win the lottery or rob a bank to get a MC 275 or pair of MC 75's.

So, as my answer to the question posed: AR 3a's in my living room. I also must confess that I was very impressed with the DCM Time Window when it first came out.

Clyde
 
Nearfield Pipedreams -- don't know the amplification, Mark Levinson I think

Spendor S3/5 -- Musical Fidelity A3^CR pre and power (I owned this system); also pretty realistic with a simple little Jolida JD102B tube-based integrated (the first time I walked into their shop, I thought there was live music in the next room).

Quad 12L actives -- I listen to this system pretty much every day at work, they are my "computer speakers", heh-heh; I need to get a sub for them, though, they are currently nowhere near full range.
 
To me, it would depend if you are speaking of the best "general purpose" speaker I have heard, or the best speaker for a particular genre or even an individual song.

For a general purpose speaker, I would have to say it is the JVC zero9. Anything from hard-rock and techno to delicate cello solos they do very well when driven with any quality 100WPC+ solid-state amp; I use either Kenwood L-07M’s or, more recently, a Yamaha CA-1010. I’ve heard some very expensive and high-end speakers that, while they may perform better on an individual piece, or with particular equipment, they do not offer anywhere near the versatility or all-encompassing musical quality of the zero9. I do dislike overly dry or analytical speakers that sacrifice musical heart for technical perfection. Sometimes mere accuracy is not enough.

A runner-up in the GP category would be the Wharfedale E-90, though that does not usually fare so well with intricate orchestral works. The runner-up for orchestral works (here comes the heresy) would be properly setup Bose 901-II’s.
 
jimfet said:
Beverage stats, by Harold Beverage. They were $13,000 27 years ago. They were the best sounding spkr at the IHF show in Atlanta. Sounded better than $60,000 plus Infinity QLS on set. But not as loud.
ESS had a set there, I have not seen since. Had a big Heil tweeter, but the woofer was a 3 foot long tube about 10 or 12 inches in diameter, with baffels around it. The bass was great. It was one of those that you could hear the windings around a cello string.

I have to second that.I heard the same speakers,I believe,at an audio show in Los Angeles in 1979,too.I was under the impression they were $7000,or less,unless he had more than one model.A string quartet recording was playing,and I kept looking for the musicians.Amazing.
Jimmy
 
Looking in my Orion Bluebook,I see the Model 2(76-77) at $4000,and the Model 2SW(77-78) at $7000,and the System 2SW-2((77-80) at $10000,and the System3(79-81) at $5750.These are the only speakers listed for this time period.Since his sons recollections online seem to show a large fluctuation in pricing and materials used,this could explain why the prices were so different.
Jimmy
 
Carver Amazing Platinum IV's at Toasted Almond's driven by a pair of Carver amps with 1,000 watts a side. Yes, the sound was amazing.
 
First pair were Dayton/Wright XG 8's Then DQ-10's The next was an all Dynaudio system (home built) and was the first to give me that 3D effect. All the electronics were all top end CJ with a Linn TT. Next up are my own Duettas, and then a pair of Scintillas driven with Henry Ho's Fire preamps(dual mono's) and H2O amps. I have never heard speakers that reproduced beep bass ( 20hz, possibly lower)with such ease. The reality of vocals is unbelieveable. No wonder Ken Kessler loves his! One interesting note, my Duettas werent that far behind, and I dont have 7k of electronics driving them!
 
At various audio stores sometime in the late 1970's:

JBL L-300
Altec 19
Infinity Quantum Line Source
Acoustic Research AR9

I can't remember exactly what these were being driven with as my attention was entirely on the speakers at the time. I DO remember that the Infinity QLS was being driven with something very exotic and expensive!! Being a high-school kid at the time I could'nt afford to take any of the 4 above home...but it was a thrill going into the stores for a demo. :D


Russ
 
At a friend's house in the 90s and again when I set them up for him at his new house 2 years ago after he became disabled:

Dunlavy SC-IVs powered by early McIntosh solid state amp and pre-amp. DefTech PF-1800 sub in use as well. In an 11 x 15 room, wow.

Greg
 
dnewma04 said:
1.) Gedlee Summa Cum Laude's powered by a 150.00 pioneer av receiver
2.) dipoles using 4 lambda td15x and a BG75 ribbon per side.
3.) Lambda Unity Horns with 2 TD15X per side in a Passive Radiator enclosure.

There are only three things currently around that are on my list of absolute must hears, and two of them (Gedlee Summa and Unity) are above. (The third are Andrew Jones' designs for TAD.)

Here's the best I've heard:

DIY system using the then-unknown (to me, at least) BMS 4590 dual concentric compression driver on a gigantic - almost 2' wide, and tall enough for an obese cat to crawl some way into - 90x40 CD horn, actively crossed at ~800Hz or so 15" Beyma woofer (don't remember the model) for midbass in a sealed box, and a 55cm Cabasse woofer built into a crawlspace. Every driver was separately amped, and the whole system was treated with a 1/3-octave EQ (Rane XO and EQ, I think). No idea about the amps but the main source was a Burmeister CD player. (Not that amps and source are in the least sonically important, but whatever.) A speaker that literally did nothing wrong, except for taking up too much visual space with those gigantic waveguides.

As far as commercial, consumer-intended gear, the best was probably the Tannoy D700's I heard at Audio Atlanta a few years ago. (Unfortunately, I never had the chance to hear Gordon's Tannoy 8+ Dayton Titanic speakers.) Again, no idea what was driving them; I tend to only remember the important stuff, and that does not include amps, preamps, or digital sources. They made even the Vandy 5's that were also in the room sound...just kinda there, and hooked me on the Dual Concentric concept.

I also have to give the Acapella Violon 2000 props for the best sounding treble I've yet heard, though the bass section isn't up to the level of the mids and treble.
 
Oh, wow. So many.
Going back to the beginning of my life:
Bozak Concert Grands and KLH Nines tie for 1st place
Bozak Symphony and M-L CLS tie for 3rd place
Bozak 302s and Klipsch Cornwalls tie for 5th place

Of later vintage:
Tannoy Churchills

Amps; well have heard each with multiple amps and would be hard pressed to say what amps mated best. Universally, I'd go with the MCIntosh MC250/2505 and the MC2100/2105 depending on the power requirments. The 2100 would be it if I had to choose 1. I have a 250 and 2105. Preamp, well the C28 still resides while the only other preamp I'd really go for is the ARC SP3A-1.
 
Back
Top Bottom