• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Best vintage speakers you ever heard?

Alrighty @Dave N., we could all recommend another 1,000 or so speakers, but until you actually start grabbing some of them for an audition before they get more costly and harder to come by you may never know. My theory has always been, locate, look, listen, and if they have potential just calculate your return on investment based upon just a flip or restoration, we are all different! Also, do not forget that upstream gear, synergy, and room acoustics can impact your interpretation of how good or bad any one pair of speakers sounds. In addition to my previous statements, it is in my opinion that you should never judge older speakers without replacing old electrolytic capacitors. I only wish you the best of luck with your search for knowledge and good speakers. We all hear things differently, so let your ears be the judge!
 
Alrighty @Dave N., we could all recommend another 1,000 or so speakers, but until you actually start grabbing some of them for an audition before they get more costly and harder to come by you may never know. My theory has always been, locate, look, listen, and if they have potential just calculate your return on investment based upon just a flip or restoration, we are all different! Also, do not forget that upstream gear, synergy, and room acoustics can impact your interpretation of how good or bad any one pair of speakers sounds. In addition to my previous statements, it is in my opinion that you should never judge older speakers without replacing old electrolytic capacitors. I only wish you the best of luck with your search for knowledge and good speakers. We all hear things differently, so let your ears be the judge!
I hear you. I've been grabbing for over 2 years now. But a lot of these are out of my reach price wise. But I still want to know about them. Just like I cant afford a Lamborghini, but I know about them. So far my best are a pair of Frazier model 7.
 
Last edited:
Knowledge is everything, but without the experience it is just knowledge of another person's opinion. Sit in a Lamborghini and crap your pants, now your talking!
Just playing with you a bit.
 
Knowledge is everything, but without the experience it is just knowledge of another person's opinion. Sit in a Lamborghini and crap your pants, now your talking!
Just playing with you a bit.
Lol. I like it when people tease a bit. Here.is the Frazier model 7.
 

Attachments

  • 20230115_221157.jpg
    20230115_221157.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 46
Haven't heard any Frazier speakers, but I would like the opportunity, in addition to some of the high dollar speakers out there.
If only I could afford them!
 
HPM-500s are the two way with super-tweeter, 8" woofers.

All I've every needed in the fairly small spaces I've always lived. The 900's are great, but really over-kill for my bedroom.
 
My 1990 Green Mountain Audio Imagos should qualify. The cross-overs were completely redone by the late Roy Johnson’s number one tech, Ron.
 

Attachments

  • A6850D6A-84BA-4AAF-B99D-865AB44E7EC3.jpeg
    A6850D6A-84BA-4AAF-B99D-865AB44E7EC3.jpeg
    84.7 KB · Views: 28
A friend of mine has stacked New Large Advents. I have yet to hear anything better that's considered "vintage".
 
No mention of Polk yet so I'll throw out the SDA SRS series when set up properly in a decent room for them. For smaller speakers, Polk Monitor 7 with Peerless tweets.
 
E-V Four A speakers I bought on FB Marketplace from a retired schoolteacher in Galesburg, Illinois. They are as old as I am, and once I refoamed the woofers, I could not believe how great they sounded. They look great, too.
 
Back
Top Bottom