• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Best speakers you have ever heard?

Wow, just read all 9 pages of this thread, and NOBODY has mentioned the McIntosh XRT2K's powered by MC2KW's. By far the best I have ever experienced; I have yet to hear the 2K tri-amped with 2KW's.... Masterlu, are you alive out there? You are the only one that I know of wealt...craz...cool enough to have done that! :)
 
For a big room:
B&W 801's driven with 35K of twin Krell's and a VPI TT with a Benz Cart and a air bearing tonearm (I forget the name)

For a tiny area:
ProAc Tablette II's driven off my modified Audionics CC-2. Pick your source, but mine was the Adcom 565 with LP12 with Grace and Grado XTZ.
 
el Presidente

I have recently begun experiments with full range drivers, my "small upstairs" system is currently comprised of Lowther PM6C's loaded into a TQWTL of my own design, driven with a pair of Kenwood LO7M,s and an NAD1020. The source is either CD or my recently restored BIC T-3 ( many thanx to ic-racer for his comprehensive belt replacement post for the T4, reading this in advance saved me lot's of time). The sound produced by the Lowthers is astonishing, a single cone producing 30-18K with seamless phase and touchable image. The only limit is dynamic range, but in a smallish room this is not an issue. Other than a slight bump around 2K (depending on the recording, some are worse than others), which can be EQ'd out, the sound is not to be believed!
 
The best I've ever heard are B&W 802's. Of course, that was at a stereo shop and not playing at huge volumes but man did they sound nice. If I ever win the lottery forget cars, I'm going to get super high end stereo gear.
 
Without a doubt the Janszen Electrostatics, of course each one cost the same as a new car so they were way out of my price range. He was using some exotic amp/preamp turntable combination with a M/C cartridge.

These things sounded so sweet that I bet they sounded better than the original performers did. :D
 
So let me start with the absolute pinnacle of anything and everything I've heard in my life: The Martin Logan Statement system that was on display at one of the Stereophile shows in NYC (right around 1990). This is the highest model that ML has ever produced and they were composed of 4 cabinets; combining 3' wide x 7' tall electrostatic panels, with huge dynamic woofer cabinets. They were driven by all Threshold amplification -- 4 amps, not sure which models (fully class A, I think). Don't remember exactly what the the source component was, but it was a extreme high end CDP that I think was from Wadia (remember them?).

The sound was so incredibly open and real-to-life that it was shocking. The spacial separation of each distinct instrument and voice was the most amazing trait -- the ambience was beyond anything I have ever heard. The sound was behind you, below you, above you -- everywhere. During the demo they played a recording of a farm yard with animal sounds and it was really and truly as if you were right there on the farm. It was literally like you could reach out and touch them. And this was _with_ the room filled with 40 human bodies, screwing up the acoustics! (It was standing room only for this demo room.)

Price for the Statements was somewhere north of $50k. They are no longer made. If I were to become filthy rich, it's likely that I would have an uncontrollable urge to seek out a set for myself. Oh, and the electronics in that room must have easily been worth another $50k.

Going one notch down from that level of ultimate realism, but still being absolutely amazing would be the speaker of that name from Carver. ...

...
Lastly, here's a list of speakers I have always wanted to hear, but never have:
Infinity TOTL Reference towers
Pair of Allison Ones back to back
The best Ohm Walsh model ever made
The best Magnepan model made
Acoustic Research Magic Speaker

In the case of the Infinitys, I'm thinking of the 8 foot tall, 4 tower model that had 6 woofers and something like 30 tweeters per side. I really would like to hear these before I die. Anybody care to speculate as to how many of these there are out in the world?
...

Yep, I've heard those Infinities you describe; those were the IRS Vs I was describing back in post #16 of this thread. They have the 6 woofers you mention PER SIDE, and 104 drivers in total. They made the Carver Amazings you mention sound a bit lifeless by comparison, and that is really saying something (I love the Amazings, and would be thrilled to have them, but they just aren't quite in the same league as the IRS-Vs). The Vs had the same kind of hyper-realistic detail and soundstage you describe the Martin Logan Statements to have. Listening to even a full orchestra with them, the orchestra was literally right there in front of you, and the room they were recorded in was around you. When they were new (almost thirty years ago) they cost $65,000. To me, those speakers are in a league of their own, apart from and above all other speakers. that I've heard to date. I've heard plenty of amazingly good speakers, some of them just about as expensive, but nothing very close to as good-sounding.

I don't know how many were made and sold, but I do know there are two sets in Hong Kong today. I wish to God I could make it three! :D
 
If that has 1st order crossovers then it's very similar to the Dunlavy SC VI. This one looks to have a nicer cabinet and is mirror imaged but the concept is the same. Depends on the crossover though. The big Dunlavy was 1st order throughout. Sounded pretty stinkin good too!

Ray

No, it says they use 4th-order x-overs.
 
I have heard nor seen any of the previously mentioned speaker, but I would sure like to some day. Timewindows made by DCM, waaaaaayyyyyy back when, are the nicest things I have ever heard. I compare everthing to what I heard in that now defunct audio store around 1979 or 1980.

I remember when I first heard the Timewindows too. It was also at a long defunct store that I don't even remember the name of.

It was snowing heavily and they didn't have any customers coming in, so they just left me alone in the listening room with the Timewindows. I spent most of the afternoon there listening to them.
 
Quad ESL-63's.
Or Maybe ESL's
Or Original Quads.

At various times I have heard and admired Quads, Quad ESL-63s, and a few other classic ESL speakers (including Beveridges and Acoustats.)

In each case there was a lot of initial "wow" factor, followed a concentration on various aspects of the sound. (Sounds "fast." Oooh, detailed. Wow, big image.)

Then there was gradual dissatisfaction with the overall sound of the speakers.

Actually, some of the most interesting ESLs I've heard were at the '07 AK Fest. I was very glad that Cosmo was gracious enough to share his stacked KLH 9s with all of us.
 
What is the best pair of home speakers you have ever heard (while unintoxicated)? What unit was driving them? (Sorry if this is a repost but I did a search with no results). Thanks,
Kurt

A pair of Fried Products Super Monitors. It was the C/3 satellites and the big TL subs with 12" drivers.
 
Back
Top Bottom