• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Brian Wilson, Beach Boys to Tour for First Time in 46 Years

Register to hide this ad
I've seen both Mike Love's Beach Boys and Brian Wilson w/ the Wondermints.

Great to see them back together.

Next thing you know, Mick Taylor and Bill Wyman will be touring with the Stones (oh, wait, that might happen).
 
The band has been touring without Brian for years. It would be cool to see them live with Brian.

The only drag is that it took so long. I mean, Carl's gone, as are one or two others, right? What does that do for the harmonies? (I'm seriously-asking because I can't remember who sang on what songs and which guys were a huge part of the Beach Boys harmonies..).

My favorite stuff has always been the mid-period albums. I still have the DCC "Pet Sounds" and "Endless Summer" gold CD's, the Simply Vinyl "Pet Sounds" LP, and my beloved Japanese Greenline "Pet Sounds" CD (That's my go-to version. I prefer that over anything else. It's like butter and has the warmest, smoothest, and most-polished sound and best-sounding harmonies of any mono version I've heard, and I prefer to listen to the original mono mix. The stereo is sonically-great and all, but there's something about it that I can't quite get used to no matter how good it sounds. I guess maybe I'm just used to that mono mix. I still have my 2001 CD with the stereo version to listen to once in a while. That Audio Fidelity gold CD kinda' got a bad rap in the beginning because everybody compared it to the old DCC CD, but I think I actually like it better than the DCC in some ways. They used a different mastering-rig, and it seems like they mastered it at a noticably-lower volume (as are all the AF gold CD's from '07 on - all the ones that were done with the new rig), so it comes across as a little cleaner-sounding, and the bass doesn't sound so-bloated like on the DCC. it would be my go-to of the Greenline didn't have a more-polished, better-defined soundstage. OK, I'm starting to go off on a tangent here.... What were we talking about again? Oh yeah, the Beach Boys.... :D
 
Last edited:
Brian suffered a breakdown in late 1964 and decided to stop regular touring in order to concentrate on writing and studio production. But he continued to perform periodically with the group for many years. I saw him with the original band at Michigan State in 1980. Good to see the surviving members have apparently reconciled. (Dennis drowned in in 1983 and Carl died of cancer in 1998.)
 
My FIRST concert ever, was when my late Father took me to see the Beach Boys perform at the California State Fair in the early 60's.

What a strange trip it would be to see them again.....50 years later!?

Steve
 
Has anyone gotten the The Smile Sessions? I have Brian's Smile and have been thinking of picking this one up.

I have the Purplechick version of "Smile" (unauthorized project that pieced together the stuff from the Smile sessions into a complete album - I believe they did this before the official one, and possibly Brian's as well, came out), however, I pretty-much avoid the Purplechick stuff now because I think it's mastered too-loudly. I don't have the legit one or Brian's version. I felt that the "Smile" Sessions material was too-disjointed and scattershot. Being a HUGE "Pet Sounds" fan, I just can't get used to the "Smile" stuff. Maybe I'll give it another shot.
 
The first few times I listened to Brian's Smile I thought it was just ok....the more I listen to it the more I really like what he was doing.
 
The Chicago Tribune articles is incorrect. I saw all three Beach Boys' 4th of July shows in DC in the early 80s and Brian was there each time, although admittedly little more than a prop. He did solo on God Only Knows though.

Anyway, it is good news, although I am weary of an ego clash between Brian and Mike. If Mike can subdue his ego, he might want to let Brian's band serve as the backup musicians.

If the early returns are good, I will go.
 
Anyway, it is good news, although I am weary of an ego clash between Brian and Mike. If Mike can subdue his ego, he might want to let Brian's band serve as the backup musicians.

If the early returns are good, I will go.

Brian and his band came to St. Charles for a show this summer. He's old, needs a teleprompter, and relies on his excellant band a lot. That being said, the show was awesome. I think your idea is spot on, and I'll go in a heartbeat.
 
The Chicago Tribune articles is incorrect. I saw all three Beach Boys' 4th of July shows in DC in the early 80s and Brian was there each time, although admittedly little more than a prop. He did solo on God Only Knows though.

They meant 46 years since a Beach Boy tour with Wilson, not concert. Their hyping it up. :scratch2:
 
They meant 46 years since a Beach Boy tour with Wilson, not concert. :scratch2:

I think he was touring with them more or less from 1976 onward. Somewhere I have a 1978 Concert mag with the Beach Boys on the cover and there he is. That is not to say he did not miss a gig here and there, but I believe he had returned to touring with them.


The article is incorrect, not you.
 
Brian and his band came to St. Charles for a show this summer. He's old, needs a teleprompter, and relies on his excellant band a lot. That being said, the show was awesome. I think your idea is spot on, and I'll go in a heartbeat.

I have seen him a couple of times and think you sum it up perfectly. Funny how a great bunch of musicians can lift potential disaster to awesome. I would say the same about Dylan last summer.
 
No dates. They were just added to the Jazzfest announcement of groups. Beach Boys 50 is what the tour is called. They are going up against some heavy hitters if you haven't checked the announcement!

For those that don't know both Dennis and Carl are deceased.
 
The Chicago Tribune articles is incorrect. I saw all three Beach Boys' 4th of July shows in DC in the early 80s and Brian was there each time, although admittedly little more than a prop. He did solo on God Only Knows though.

Anyway, it is good news, although I am weary of an ego clash between Brian and Mike. If Mike can subdue his ego, he might want to let Brian's band serve as the backup musicians.

If the early returns are good, I will go.

I was in the crowd with you. Those shows were a lot of fun.....from what I can remember. :D
 
What does that do for the harmonies? (I'm seriously-asking because I can't remember who sang on what songs and which guys were a huge part of the Beach Boys harmonies..).

I have seen Brian with the Wondermints and the great guitarist Jeffrey Foskett provides excellent harmonies....I am sure the Beach Boy tour will have some similar (if not the same) young guns on hand to sweeten the sound...
 
Back
Top Bottom