• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Brian Wilson, Beach Boys to Tour for First Time in 46 Years

I saw Wilson's concert in Boston last winter. It was really good -- he played all of the old Beach boys hits. He did a set of his new stuff which I thought was boring.

As long as an oldies act plays their hits, everyone goes home happy. Some artists do not seem to realize that fact (e.g., Peter Gabriel).
 
I saw Wilson's concert in Boston last winter. It was really good -- he played all of the old Beach boys hits. He did a set of his new stuff which I thought was boring.

As long as an oldies act plays their hits, everyone goes home happy. Some artists do not seem to realize that fact (e.g., Peter Gabriel).

Do you mean the Gershwin stuff? I really liked it.
 
Do you mean the Gershwin stuff? I really liked it.
Whose Gershwin stuff? Wilson played his newest album or something. Gabriel played nicely with an orchestra but left his audience playing the songs they wanted to hear in their cars out in the parking lot after the show.
 
Last edited:
Who's Gershwin stuff? Wilson played his newest album or something. Gabriel played nicely with an orchestra but left his audience playing the songs they wanted to hear in their cars out in the parking lot after the show.

Brian's last tour was supporting his Gershwin album.
 
Who's Gershwin stuff? Wilson played his newest album or something. Gabriel played nicely with an orchestra but left his audience playing the songs they wanted to hear in their cars out in the parking lot after the show.

Brian Wilson played several songs off his new album. They were reworkings of some of George Gershwin's tunes...Sunmmertime being one of them. I thought they were interesting and well done. Peter Gabrial I have not seen.
 
It would definitely help if you were also a fan of Gershwin's music and knew those pieces well enough to notice the clever ways that Brian had reworked them into the Beach Boys idiom. I believe he mentioned during the show that the Gershwin family had asked him to do that project.
 
I also remember seeing the Dead Kennedy's on a side stage on the Mall as well....back when there were the big smoke-ins.
 
I cannot remember how many of the Beach Boys DC 4th of July shows I attended. At least one, but not all.

It was one huge party.
 
....back when there were the big smoke-ins.

You must not get out much. I think they are bigger today than they were in the 70's.

I've seen Firefall, Beach Boys, and Doobie Brothers on the same bill "back in the day". Come to think of it, that one wasn't a big smoke-in.
 
Personally, I find it really heartwarming news. After all those years, with Brian managing to hang on and stay alive and remain active, it is nice that they at least can re-form for a tour.
Brian has done very well with the "Gershwin" and "Lucky Old Sun" albums, truly a late revival of his career.

None of us are getting any younger....forgiveness is a good thing :thmbsp:

C.
 
I also remember seeing the Dead Kennedy's on a side stage on the Mall as well....back when there were the big smoke-ins.

Back in the day I had a friend who was in the music business locally in Chicago. He was puttin' together a club near Loyola University and asked if I was interested in carpeting the stage (my profession at the time). I said sure, qouted a price and got to work. He was happy with the job and put me on the guest list for the opening night. The band was The Dead Kennedys. Well, I enjoyed a nip or two that evening, and when it was all said and done the very first patron to get tossed from the new club was yours truly. 500 punks in the joint and I'm the one to get the heave ho. :sigh:
 
You must not get out much. I think they are bigger today than they were in the 70's.

I've seen Firefall, Beach Boys, and Doobie Brothers on the same bill "back in the day". Come to think of it, that one wasn't a big smoke-in.

Not in the Nations Capital right in front of the White House, you can't get away with that anymore. Every where you went people were toking up and handing out samples.
 
Back
Top Bottom