• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Budget Bookshelf Battle Coming Eventually To A Thread Near You

@musichal I'm gonna put a fiver down for the ELACs to win. Too bad you don't have the Polk Signature S20s... I'm kinda partial to those. ;)

If you do add the Polk S20s to the BBB I will put my money on those over all others, including the ELACs.

OK we have a couple guys offering funds for the S20s to be included. Hope you get enough to get the speakers.

I like the twin results for this test. One based solely on performance then the cost adjusted ratings.

I see complaints about the RTi3A. Curious if the RTi38 is the same kind of loser before the battle even begins. I know where there is a pair.
 
I bought a pair of Elac B6's last year and I've found they do need some power to sound good. Listening position and speaker placement was also important, and yes, the cab's are not that attractive.
 
Unexpected guests arrived last night; they'll be leaving tomorrow. So the start is slightly delayed, as these friends, of course like most, have no interest in such things. They don't often listen to music; the hubby, while driving, likes political talk AM, which I avoid. Just as with AK, we have a tacit gentlemen's agreement to avoid the subject. He's a good friend even though we tend to differ in our viewpoints.

I'm surprised at Blue Shadow's comment that a couple of folks have considered taking up a collection to ensure the S20 is included. Whether that happens, or not, I thank them for their confidence in me as a listener/reporter, though am not sure I share it. I'll just call it like I hear it. :)
 
Remember when the 90s got more bass than the bookshelves you have today?

That's right. I've got a pair of Yamaha NS-AP5700BLF's. They're probably a little big for bookshelves, but they've got 6.5" woofers, and a 0.75" dome tweeter in a ported enclosure. Using them as front speakers in an unfinished 3.1 system. Not hooked up since I don't have a receiver for these puppies yet, but my 8th grade science teacher had these same Yamaha's (Plus the rest of the surround sound system) hanging from the tile board ceiling, and they totally kicked ass!
P_20180824_125958_vHDR_On.jpg
(The center speaker has been replaced with a smaller Panasonic ice cream sandwich since the Impedance on the old one would have been too low for the receiver i'm probably bringing in)
P_20180923_204948.jpg
 
. . . A build kit to assemble, featuring a Fostex FE-126EN 4.5" full-range driver in a small ported cab.
That's the one I'm most curious about. I've had but limited exposure to single-driver speakers, but those I've heard gave compelling performances.
 
That's the one I'm most curious about. I've had but limited exposure to single-driver speakers, but those I've heard gave compelling performances.

Me, too - the being most curious part, I mean. While keeping my expectations quite low, I'm not-so-secretly hoping they surprise me with some measure of excellence within their limited range.
 
Me, too - the being most curious part, I mean. While keeping my expectations quite low, I'm not-so-secretly hoping they surprise me with some measure of excellence within their limited range.

I think you will be very surprised how coherent some of these budget busters are from high bass on up. This has everything to do with the little woofers running full range. I also think you will be very surprised with the midrange dynamics which again are a product of woofer running full range.
 
Most of these speakers have the awful spring clip connectors. I ordered several dual banana sockets to make swapping out easier, which haven't arrived yet, but are due any day now. I intend to start tonight with the B6. The RTiA3 are due to arrive tomorrow. Looks like I have my work cut out for me.

I also had to order a router to cut out the holes for the Fostex - my old router turned out to be one of the many tools stolen during our move from Beaumont to Norman about seven years ago. The router and bits arrived a few days ago, but it has been too cold in the garage for me to get it done; with all these speakers to check out, this comparo is going to take several days, and I'm sure the weather will moderate enough for me to get that done.
 

Kick-Off
​

Getting started always takes longer than I wish, simply due to the fact that I need help with set-up, but we finally got that done this morning. Speaker stands in place, subwoofers turned off. Simple, right? I'll spare you the logistical details involved, but one of the bigger factors is squeezing time from my lovely wife's busy schedule for the assistance I require. Some of it required us both.

I already miss the subs - but I didn't want to muddy the waters with this small-speaker comparison. Each will stand on its own.

Up first is the Polk RTiA3 with Cherry finish. If you've been thinking of buying a pair at the current $239/pr sale price, then my advice is to go ahead and pull that trigger. I'm very favorably impressed with the value, and mine aren't broken in yet. For fit and finish, they compete at four times the price. For sound quality, well, I prefer them to the similarly-priced ELAC Debut - I think. I have yet to hear the B6 with this placement, amp and room - so we'll see.

That placement is 40" from the back wall, with a little more than that to the side walls, with the speakers about five feet apart. The amp is just what one would expect to see for this price of speaker, the Mark Levinson No. 585. :)

Of course, one of the advantages of a bookshelf speaker is often in their imaging, and these are no exception. Not the best I have heard, but still a very good three-and-three-quarter out of five stars. Their bass alignment is quite impressive - it seems a well-sorted bass reflex design that gets decent low extension without trying to do more than it can (-3db @ 50hz). The port is on the rear, and there is a plate over the port that shunts the air flow to the sides, bottom and top. If used on a shelf this adds a little to the depth, but prevents blocking the port, so may not be a bad idea. I find the bass alluring - fast and articulate upper bass.

Voice is relatively uncolored, as well. Melody Gardot, Linda Ronstadt with Riddle Orch, Ella, Krall, Sinatra all sounded good. Not spine-tingling good, but a solid four stars, which is right at what I'd rate the speaker overall.

Glenn Miller Orch Digital Mood did tingle me some.

Also, they are capable of pretty high volumes without stuttering.

Why do so many here report expecting the speaker not do perform as well as I do? I don't know. Perhaps I placed them better, perhaps my room likes them more than theirs did (or my amp), and perhaps my preferences differ from those less impressed with the speaker. Most likely it is a combination of these factors.

Bottom line. I could live with these and enjoy my music just fine (with the dual subs). I find them an outstanding value for new-speaker money.

I will listen to these some more, tack on additional comments, as needed, and continue with the next pair - either ADS or ELAC - in a day or two. I think they have their work cut out for them. We'll see how they line up, for my ear.


​
 
Nice start to the battle.

Perhaps you could list out what other gear you are using?
 
Sources include streaming (or files) from my laptop via Schiit Modi 2 and Mani 2, one or both Uber, I forget. Been meaning to try the laptop directly to the 585's DAC (which is better) but it's just a matter of not being able to physically get to it, and I try not to overwhelm Christine with such demands. Plus, it's further than I want to run USB cable from my seat. Also use Sony 400-disc CD/DVD/SACD players (3, one currently out of action). And I also use my Sony XDR-F1HD tuner, which provides excellent SQ from my local classical station. Video sources and Pandora via ROKU.

All my listening thus far has been PC-based and CD, but by tomorrow I will have used all these.
 
Nice start! My wife's favorite speakers in the house are the little Polk Tsi100's paired with a sub.
 
Sources include streaming (or files) from my laptop via Schiit Modi 2 and Mani 2, one or both Uber, I forget. Been meaning to try the laptop directly to the 585's DAC (which is better) but it's just a matter of not being able to physically get to it, and I try not to overwhelm Christine with such demands. Plus, it's further than I want to run USB cable from my seat. Also use Sony 400-disc CD/DVD/SACD players (3, one currently out of action). And I also use my Sony XDR-F1HD tuner, which provides excellent SQ from my local classical station. Video sources and Pandora via ROKU.

All my listening thus far has been PC-based and CD, but by tomorrow I will have used all these.
I assume from your profile page that you are using the 585 to drive the speakers in the deathmatch battle?
 
Back
Top Bottom