• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Bulk Erasing Reel to Reel Tape

jws

New Member
Hello all - Will a bulk eraser work with tape on a metal reel or should it be on a plastic reel ? Thanks
 
Register to hide this ad
Shouldn't be an issue at all. Your metal reels are likely made of aluminum, which is not magentic. The bulk eraser only demagnizes the metal particles on the tape. However, to prevent scratching the reels' surface, place a piece of thin cloth over the reel or apply some stick-on felt to the bottom of the eraser.
 
Shouldn't be an issue at all. Your metal reels are likely made of aluminum, which is not magentic. The bulk eraser only demagnizes the metal particles on the tape. However, to prevent scratching the reels' surface, place a piece of thin cloth over the reel or apply some stick-on felt to the bottom of the eraser.

In 30+ yrs. of bulk erasing, I've not seen any problem with erasing tape on metal reels. One wants to get the eraser as close to the tape as possible, so *I* would avoid anything that separates the two as the magnetic field diminishes rapidly by distance (something like 2xlog pii/xyz where xyz is nothing in particular...:boring:). Maybe some packing tape if you're really concerned with the looks of the reel(s).

The oxides in the slurry - which is the medium the signal is retained on, are not "demagnetized", per say - or for that matter magnetized in the record process; but rather they become all oriented in the same (general) 'direction' when erased. The record process orients them into specific directions thereby causing a difference in the electrical field the pb heads 'sees' as the tape passes by the gap in the head (in pretty much the reverse process of the record head.)

Reels in pic have been erased more time than I care to remember. Center one was media blasted & plated! -just for fun.)
 

Attachments

  • DSCN1276_249.JPG
    DSCN1276_249.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 37
Erasing

Is there a recommended method of moving the eraser around the tape ? Circular, back and forth ? How long should the eraser be near the tape, 15 seconds maybe ? Thanks for all of the info. :thmbsp:
 
Yea, I'd like to know, too! I have a bulk eraser but had never used it 'til yesterday, prompted by this thread. I tried a few things, with mixed results. At one point I ended up with a big audio "bump" on the tape.

Note that many bulk demag tools have a duty cycle requirement, so you don't overheat them and burn them up.
 
Is there a recommended method of moving the eraser around the tape ? Circular, back and forth ? How long should the eraser be near the tape, 15 seconds maybe ? Thanks for all of the info. :thmbsp:

I turn on the eraser and slide it slowly over to reel almost touching the reel and make slow circles while raising the it "UP" until about 3 feet away and I have it above my head then and hold it behind my head and turn off... one minute on and 15 off. I am sure there are others that do it different but this works for me. Now that my Revox is restored I don't bother with the hand held much now unless it's a new/old tape I purchased used then I use the hand held eraser and then mount the reel then I fast foward and rewind before I record to loosen up the tension on the reel. When I was kid (black &white TV) my Dad had a loop he plugged into the 110 outlet and made circles in front of the picture tube pulling "Away" for the TV to remove static electricity.
Louis
 
Back
Top Bottom