• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

C-130 Fans Here in AudioKarma?

Register to hide this ad
I was stationed and living very close to Hurlburt field in the florida panhandle.
Eglin AFB , Fort Walton Beach,Florida.
Hurlburt was the home of 1st SOG/SOW .,if I recall correctly. C-130 Spectre "Gun ships".... Almost every night , Just north of where I lived . Ka woomp,Ka woomp,Ka woomp ie. 105mm howitzer.. Practicing over one of the test ranges in the area.
 
Last edited:
While stationed in Germany in the 70s, flew often in this flying boat. I'm a big fan of the Hercules.
Now the CDN has the new J variant, the Super Hercules. Never had the chance to fly in the new Hercs which came on line in June 2010. I was out the Forces by then.
 
Closest I ever got to a gunship was helping change a mlg tire on one when it stopped at McChord where I was stationed. Not exactly exciting. They wouldn't let us inside to look around, but nose to nose that 105 is huge sticking out of the troop door like they do.

I only got down to Florida once on tdy, was in May and even then too hot and humid for my tastes, especially working inside of a tin can in the sun!

I take it that you fixed F-15s? Beautiful aircraft, just poetry in aluminum.

Cheers,
James
 
While stationed in Germany in the 70s, flew often in this flying boat. I'm a big fan of the Hercules.
Now the CDN has the new J variant, the Super Hercules. Never had the chance to fly in the new Hercs which came on line in June 2010. I was out the Forces by then.

I'd live to take a tour of a J. But It would feel strange flying on a Herc with no flight engineer station. Where in Germany were you stationed? I got to come over on tdy a lot in the '79-'81 time frame.

Cheers,
James
 
Closest I ever got to a gunship was helping change a mlg tire on one when it stopped at McChord where I was stationed. Not exactly exciting. They wouldn't let us inside to look around, but nose to nose that 105 is huge sticking out of the troop door like they do.

I only got down to Florida once on tdy, was in May and even then too hot and humid for my tastes, especially working inside of a tin can in the sun!

I take it that you fixed F-15s? Beautiful aircraft, just poetry in aluminum.

Cheers,
James

33rd ACW,57FIS,36th TFW and 4404th Provential- F-15A,B,C,D & E's Electronic warfare.
 
I was stationed in Lahr from 1976 to 1981, lived in Allmannsweier for one year and then moved to Kippenheim in 1977 to the end of my tour in November 1981. I enjoyed my stay in your country very much.
I always kept in touch with this part of Germany.
There is something I found strange though, the population of Lahr took a sharp decline in the mid 80s but did rebound in the mid 90s
In 1999 while on NATO exercise with the North Atlantic fleet, the fleet landed in Wilhelmshaven for a stay of 11 days. I took leave and drove to Lahr and Kippenheim to see a few friends and my old landlord and his family. Lots of good memories.
 
I was stationed in Lahr from 1976 to 1981, lived in Allmannsweier for one year and then moved to Kippenheim in 1977 to the end of my tour in November 1981. I enjoyed my stay in your country very much.
I always kept in touch with this part of Germany.
There is something I found strange though, the population of Lahr took a sharp decline in the mid 80s but did rebound in the mid 90s
In 1999 while on NATO exercise with the North Atlantic fleet, the fleet landed in Wilhelmshaven for a stay of 11 days. I took leave and drove to Lahr and Kippenheim to see a few friends and my old landlord and his family. Lots of good memories.

I was TDY to Lahr from the 33rd around 1984ish. Stayed in a Gasthaus in Kippenheim for around 4 weeks.
 
I've flown on lots of them, never landed in one though.

Ahh, one of those crazy guys. If it makes you feel any better, during my entire time as a C-130 crew chief, the crew chief was the only guy on the plane that was never given a parachute. I guess that was the friendly AF way of telling us to make sure that the airplane stayed in good condition and didn't touch the ground until it was supposed to. :yes:

Cheers,
James
 
I enjoyed my stay in your country very much.

:D Actually, I'm a transplant from the Pacific NW USA. Married a feisty little Bavarian girl that talked me into moving over here. No regrets. Munich is a great place to live.

James
 
Daughter is a loadmaster on one over in the sandbox. I have spent many hours in them as well.

Good friend is a LM on MAFF 7 here in CO.
 
I was TDY to Lahr from the 33rd around 1984ish. Stayed in a Gasthaus in Kippenheim for around 4 weeks.

Hello avionic,

I think we had this conversation a while ago.

Here's a few pics of Kippenheim
The building with the rooster on top, is the Gasthaus







 
:D Actually, I'm a transplant from the Pacific NW USA. Married a feisty little Bavarian girl that talked me into moving over here. No regrets. Munich is a great place to live.

James

Now I remember, I've read a few of your posts before.
Since you now live in München and have married a beautiful Bavarian girl, you are now officially a, Münchner. :thmbsp:
 
How did "they" get their hands on one...:D

avn_hercules_900380f.jpg
 
Last edited:
I was stationed at Eglin back in 1984; came to Germany for a good two years and was then sent back to Hurlburt Field.

I didn´t want to go back to Florida because I had just met the woman that I am now married to here in Germany and didn´t want to leave her.

I was planning on doing the full 20 years in the USAF, but I didn´t like the idea of not being in control of my life. So I left after 4 years and came back to Germany where I still live today.

BTW I LOVE anything that flies! I remember the F-15s shaking my dorm room all night when they took off. And during my stay at Hurlburt the C-130s did the same thing. I got used to it.

While over here in Germany the A-10s would use our radar tower as a landmark and buzz us regularly flying REALLY low :)

Good times !
 
Back
Top Bottom