• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

C2200 Vs C2300

Thanks Shane for the SB -- I had asked my dealer for a copy -- but hadn't come thru yet.

Previously my phono was set at 200 & now at 50 with the newer cartridge. Have not experienced this issue when it was at 200; nor with the newer cartridge when experimenting between 100 & up.

So, my question to the hierarchy is -- should this SB be implemented for all C2300's regardless??
 
Thanks Shane for the SB -- I had asked my dealer for a copy -- but hadn't come thru yet.

Previously my phono was set at 200 & now at 50 with the newer cartridge. Have not experienced this issue when it was at 200; nor with the newer cartridge when experimenting between 100 & up.

So, my question to the hierarchy is -- should this SB be implemented for all C2300's regardless??

Vintage. My response would be Yes. All new C2300 production units since April have the modification, so you should get it done for free while it is under warranty and you or the next owner will NEVER have the potential for these issues.

Chuck said it was an intermittent fault, but a fault. It has been Winter with little or no rain for some time here in Sydney. I was even getting some static hits from the carpet - so I guess in my situation it was ripe for the fault to occur.

Anyway, McIntosh should be applauded for finding the fault, admitting their was a fault and putting such a professional SB out for the fix.

cheers Shane
 
Dave

see attached service bulletin that went out in early April direct from the man Chuck. Interesting that the Aussie importer was too lazy to advise C2300owners of the service bulletin and the fix.
You wil need to return it to the shop if it is the same issue.

The static popping sound seems to only effect when you use MC loading 100ohm's or over. Quite scary seeing your woofers almost popping out of the speakers as it gets louder as the volume goes up.

Is this the same issue you are having??

cheers Shane

Is this something McIntosh sent out to registered owners?
 
Is this something McIntosh sent out to registered owners?

I'm registered and no notice -- so, maybe by Serial Number, I'm not affected (bought in Feb 2008) -- the SB covers all units though (YA1001 through YA9999).

Therefore, if we are all affected -- what's the purpose of registering other than some proof we owned this unit.

I found out after speaking with a local authorized McIntosh repair center & when I mentioned C2300, an alarm bell went off in his head.
 
Why register?

I'm registered and no notice --
Therefore, if we are all affected -- what's the purpose of registering other than some proof we owned this unit.

.

Good question, McIntosh. What's the benefit of registering? How about a transferable warranty if we do?
 
The popping is not on every C2300 and does not happen with most cartridges.
If it does happen a couple of small caps will need to be changed to ones of a different value.

Thanks,
Ron-C
 
Thank-you Ron for the reply -- if a C2300 is not experiencing the issue -- should those caps (C54 & C55) be replaced anyway??

I think that is what most owners are wondering?
 
That is up to you but most cartridges will not trigger the popping. This is not the same as noisy records. Noisy record will need a wet wash vacuum system for maximum fidelity.

thanks,
Ron-C
 
The cartridge on the MT10 is oddly one of the ones that does trigger the popping. In your case I would say it will need the update.

Thanks,
Ron-C
 
cables

What cables are you using? Balanced or unbalanced?

thanks,
Ron-C

I tried both. Balanced is clearly better with the Classe amp whereas the MC402 was much better with unbalanced.

I also rolled a bunch of tubes into the C2300 line stage. Only the Mullards retained the same overall top to bottom balance as the stock tubes but they smoothed things out too much for my taste. I like the better dynamics of the Shuguang tubes.
 
happy 2200 owner moves to the 2300

I traded my C2200 for a new C2300. My initial impression; :tresbon:
The C2300 is a great preamp. McIntosh hit a home run with this piece. At once the C2300 is better balanced and more musical than my already very good C2200. There really is a difference in the line stages of these two preamps. More than I would have expected. The phono stage is excellent. It could be a world-beater. Too early for me to tell. Armchair control of balance, tone, and cartridge loading alone is worth the price of admission. The LED meters look great. Now I'll have to upgrade the meters in my 2102's.:scratch2:
 
I traded my C2200 for a new C2300. My initial impression; :tresbon:
The C2300 is a great preamp. McIntosh hit a home run with this piece. At once the C2300 is better balanced and more musical than my already very good C2200. There really is a difference in the line stages of these two preamps. More than I would have expected. The phono stage is excellent. It could be a world-beater. Too early for me to tell. Armchair control of balance, tone, and cartridge loading alone is worth the price of admission. The LED meters look great. Now I'll have to upgrade the meters in my 2102's.:scratch2:
I've had an extensive listening sessions with the C2200 and C46 in my system. I know many folks will mention "tube warmth" when talking about tube preamps but that was not the case with the C2200. It sounded leaner than the fuller and warmer tonal balance of the C46 to my ears and within the context of my system. No wonder many outside the McIntosh circle say that McTubes sound like SS and McSolidState sounds like tubes... Is the C2300 tonally balanced different than the C2200?
 
I traded my C2200 for a new C2300. My initial impression; :tresbon:
The C2300 is a great preamp. McIntosh hit a home run with this piece. At once the C2300 is better balanced and more musical than my already very good C2200. There really is a difference in the line stages of these two preamps. More than I would have expected. The phono stage is excellent. It could be a world-beater. Too early for me to tell. Armchair control of balance, tone, and cartridge loading alone is worth the price of admission. The LED meters look great. Now I'll have to upgrade the meters in my 2102's.:scratch2:

Great to you have appreciated the musical difference, especially coming from someone who has owns a c2200.

How do you upgrade the meters in the MC2102's???
 
How do you upgrade the meters in the MC2102's???

Good question! - I'm hoping there is an LED kit available from someone. I dropped a note to Audio Classics earlier in the weekend to see if they have a kit in the works. I'll call Mac on Monday. If nobody else is developing one, I'll do it myself. The new LED illuminated meters in the C2300 are beautiful. They look very similar to the meters used in the 2102, but with LED lamps instead of incandescents. So an LED upgrade should be very feasible.
 
Last edited:
Finally put my money where my mouth is and I am buying the C2300.

I just finished packing up the C-46 and Pass Xono phono stage to take back to the dealer tomorrow.

Me I just luv the flexibility of the C2300 with bass/treble/mono for each input and cartridge loading on the fly with no loss in transparency and quiet as hell.

Of course if it did not sound great, all the kool features would be worth squat.
 
Good question! - I'm hoping there is an LED kit available from someone. I dropped a note to Audio Classics earlier in the weekend to see if they have a kit in the works. I'll call Mac on Monday. If nobody else is developing one, I'll do it myself. The new LED illuminated meters in the C2300 are beautiful. They look very similar to the meters used in the 2102, but with LED lamps instead of incandescents. So an LED upgrade should be very feasible.

i'd love an LED kit for my mc2102. Let's hope Audio Classics has one in development. the MC2102 has to be the most popular unit in the Mc catalogue without LED meters
 
Shane,
Enjoy your new 2300! In comparing the 2300 MC phono stage to my AcousTech PH-1P, the 2300 is winning the race. It is much quieter and more detailed. So the AcousTech will be up for sale soon, as you predicted.

I checked with Ryan at AudioClassics and they do not yet have an LED kit for the 2102. He said they plan to introduce one next year. I have not yet had a chance to call McIntosh.
 
Back
Top Bottom