• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Can anyone tell me about HiFiAudio?

Haven’t gotten the PDF, decided to say screw it and see if it was self explanatory if I took the front panel off.

Installing the new bulbs was a breeze, took all of 5 mins. It’s wild, looks like the originals had never been replaced. And this is a 52 year old amp.

Replacing the blue filter elements for the meters is a different story though. For anyone considering doing this to your McIntosh that has similar blue meters, be aware that it is not just a remover and replace job by dropping in the new piece of filter- these puppies are wrapped around all four corners of each meter, and will require some careful work on your part. I’m going to hold onto the filters that came with this kit until the next time I have to take the amp into the shop for maintenance and have someone qualified do the installation, I don’t want to mess this thing up beyond repair.

So I guess that’s one semi + review for hifiaudio- took longer than they should have to ship, minus 10 points for not including the instructions in the kit, another -10 for being misleading about “only needing a screwdriver” to install everything, but +10 for sending replacement bulbs that fit and work.
 
Regarding my post above about the transistors, I received a reply that the transistors were just a “bonus” and may or may not be compatible. Also, I was only shipped 1 fuse where there should have been 3.

I was under the distinct impression that his kit was a for a full restoration. He’s saying it’s only for recap.

He is now asking me to cancel my return because I stated “incomplete or missing parts” and that would hurt his reputation and feedback.

I politely replied that, if I cancel, I have no recourse to recover my money.

Honestly, I’m not looking to hurt anyone and this isn’t the end of the world. Just a minor inconvenience. But I’m certainly not willing to leave myself vulnerable to not being refunded my money.

I truly am disappointed and was hoping the comments here were anomalies.

Update: Now he’s claiming he never promised transistors. I pointed out that his ad, literally stated “Included with kit:

7. Transistors.

And has two photos of transistors in bags.
 
Last edited:
So, quick update, I received his instructions about an hour ago. However, the instructions only demonstrate how to remove and replace the bulbs (which I’ve already done), not how to remove and replace the blue filter.

Heed the warnings, avoid this place.
 
And another quick update- I asked him why there were no instructions included on how to replace the meter filters and received this reply:

“you will need to disassemble the faceplate and remove the meters.”

Don’t know about you all, but I’m not sure these qualify as “instructions”? I’m looking inside the amp now and it appears to be a little more complicated than that.
 
Yea, I avoid eBay like the plague- I came across this guy on his reverb store, and the reviews there were glowing (which sort of countered his delayed/short replies to my questions I asked pre-purchase).

Good news I guess is that I received the parts, just have to get it over to the shop at some point to install them. Unfortunately, I move this amp only when it’s an absolute must (128 lbs of ‘murrican ingenuity), so it won’t be until it needs maintenance again.
 
Ok, finally was refunded my money. With HiFiAudio, it was like pulling teeth. He argued, begged (for me to withdraw my return for missing parts request), ignored me for awhile, blamed ME.

So, just to add to the list, absolutely STAY AWAY FROM THIS GUY!

I learned my lesson but hope I can help save other people the nightmare of dealing with this dumpster fire.

Basically, I finally had to threaten him that I was going to ebay to intervene and was going to ask them to read my message exchange with him.

I just don’t get why, someone who runs a small business in a hobby that MANY of us communicate with each other, would pull the crap he pulls.
 
The word is full of different types of people. Unfortunately, guys like this are some of them. I usually go online and search a business now before ordering anything.

Heck, I even do it for local businesses.

There's always going to be "dissatisfied customers" willing to gripe (whether justified or not), but if the balance of the reviews are negative.........:rolleyes:
 
I must admit some confusion over a discussion of vendor parts and AU-222 upgrades in a forum entitled "Tube Audio" but I'm not always the brightest bulb in the string.
 
I must admit some confusion over a discussion of vendor parts and AU-222 upgrades in a forum entitled "Tube Audio" but I'm not always the brightest bulb in the string.
Huh. You’re right. I never noticed this thread was under tube audio. I had just searched the name of this vendor and found this thread.

Wonder why the OP put this under Tube Audio.

Good catch. I missed that.
 
Regarding my post above about the transistors, I received a reply that the transistors were just a “bonus” and may or may not be compatible. Also, I was only shipped 1 fuse where there should have been 3.

I was under the distinct impression that his kit was a for a full restoration. He’s saying it’s only for recap.

He is now asking me to cancel my return because I stated “incomplete or missing parts” and that would hurt his reputation and feedback.

I politely replied that, if I cancel, I have no recourse to recover my money.

Honestly, I’m not looking to hurt anyone and this isn’t the end of the world. Just a minor inconvenience. But I’m certainly not willing to leave myself vulnerable to not being refunded my money.

I truly am disappointed and was hoping the comments here were anomalies.

Update: Now he’s claiming he never promised transistors. I pointed out that his ad, literally stated “Included with kit:

7. Transistors.

And has two photos of transistors in bags.
That’s just one of the lies he misleads people on. Puts “generic“ non-audio quality transistors into the kit and says they are a bonus andmay or may not work in your application. Does the same with diodes. Sure doesn’t give that impression on the listing does it? What a crock. Avoid hi-fi audio at all cost. Your experience is not unique.
 
Should have read this thread before I purchased a kit to restore my Audio Research SP-3. Oh well, live and learn.

I have a kit coming from this site. I thought I would go the easy route rather than go thru my owners manual and pick out the parts one by one.
 
I see another vendor is listing hifiaudio kits on his platform. Same garbage kits being sold by 8TEN1944.
 
Hifiaudio, hifiaudiorocks, capainfantastic, whatever he’s going by now to avoid his bad reputation, …

When I see someone offering “led upgrade kits” for over $50 shipped, for the MC452 & MC462, WHICH COME FROM THE FACTORY WITH LEDs, I know that he’s either completely clueless as to what he’s doing, a crook, or both.
 
Hifiaudio, hifiaudiorocks, capainfantastic, whatever he’s going by now to avoid his bad reputation, …

When I see someone offering “led upgrade kits” for over $50 shipped, for the MC452 & MC462, WHICH COME FROM THE FACTORY WITH LEDs, I know that he’s either completely clueless as to what he’s doing, a crook, or both.

Unfortunately, I have to check "all of the above". :(

Regards,
Gordon.
 
I bought a SA-9800 kit from him a couple years ago when I was totally clueless, and never got a chance to use it. Now I'm only mostly clueless, but lost his link to the instructions and thought I'd e-mail him to get them again. I forwarded my original request with the eBay info, and even attached a picture of the kit I got including his note to email for instructions. He replied that it was too long ago, and he couldn't confirm my order. He also said that he could see that I order a lot from his competitor (Ben,) so I wouldn't be getting any support. I replied that he could clearly see that I ordered it from him and it was none of his business who I bought anything from. He told me what to do with it and what to do to myself...

The worst kind of cowards are the the ones who hide behind their keyboard. This guys is an immature moron. I don't really need his "support" or instructions anymore, but wish I would have searched for this thread and learned of his reputation back when I bought it. Oh well, live and learn. Ben always seems to have what I need.
 
That's sad. He really sounds like a total jerk.

I'm doing repairs for a guy who wanted me to install new lamps. Unfortunately he bought lamp kits from hifiaudio.

One repair included replacing six lamps and the kit had six lamps, but only three of them were correct.

It's also unfortunate that epray lets these %$^*%%$'s do what they do. They only care about the money, not that buyers are getting the shaft.
 
Actuallly what is just as disappointing as this seller is eBay and how they bury the negative feedback and promote mostly the positive ones. They will claim 100% feedback on sellers but if you dig deeper that is in 12 months, but if you go back a seller might have a lot of negatives in the past but eBay still will show 100% on the buying screen. I think they have lost a lot of sellers with the higher rates and other reasons so now they are working to help stop the bleeding.
 
Actuallly what is just as disappointing as this seller is eBay and how they bury the negative feedback and promote mostly the positive ones. They will claim 100% feedback on sellers but if you dig deeper that is in 12 months, but if you go back a seller might have a lot of negatives in the past but eBay still will show 100% on the buying screen. I think they have lost a lot of sellers with the higher rates and other reasons so now they are working to help stop the bleeding.
I've considered taking a trip to NY and give the guy my feedback in person! o_O
 
Back
Top Bottom