• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Cary 805 Anniversary vs MC2000

dj_AmTraX

Super Member
Banned
How does it compares to the finest McIntosh tube amp, MC2000?
MC2000.jpg


vs

CAD805AE-top.jpg
CAD805AE-top.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
Not sure how to compare @25 watts of SET vs 140 watts of PP.
My 2A3 and 300B SET amps sound much different from each other let alone any of my PP stuff.



Carl
 
Geez. OK.
Basically PP has 2 output tubes per channel. Each reproducing 1/2 of a sine wave.
S.E. is a single tube reproducing a full sine wave. There are pentode as well as triode possibilities. Triode gives you more of this signature at a greater expense.
Not to be confused with S.E. parallel which is 2 more tubes per channel in single ended configuration but not commonly thought of nor used.
Why P.P.? Much more power per dollar spent.
So why even bother with S.E. and what about the signature of the sound vs PP?
Well, this is a lot so it is link to wiki time as this goes into even and odd order
harmonic distortion and I do not feel like writing an essay tonight. :D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tube_sound


Carl
 
I can't tell you how those 2 models compare. But my brother just ordered a Cary SLI-80 integrated so when he gets it I will be able to compare it to my MC275's.
Those 805' are beauties, a local shop has a used set for 7K.
Green eyes look great even compared to blue meters.
 
I have not heard the MC2000 but I have heard the Cary 805 amps and they are great. They have a very neutral sound, I was expecting a more tubey sound with emphasized midrange. The Cary 805s did sound slightly rolled off on the high frequencies and the treble was a little soft on detail. The Cary amps were overall very enjoyable and made some great music.

I have to admit that I would rather have a new MC275 though. The MC275 had more detail and better high frequencies.

Of course this is subjective but I'm not sure the MC2000 is McIntosh's finest tube amp.
 
I used to have a Cary SLI-80 driving a pair of Soliloquy speakers. Together they made some great music. I've also tried Antique Sound Labs, Rogue Audio, Dennis Had (AE) amp and preamp...... have also had a few other tube amps before that with other speakers... since the 275MKIV found its way into my system I am not looking at any other tube amps. I guess I like the KT-88s in general and the 275 just sounds great all around, while all the others just had their strengths and weaknesses. I do miss those Soliloquy speakers in my room upstairs though. :tears:
 
Audio Classics is running them in for me this week. I'll report back with my comparison findings in a few weeks. Maybe Ryan can chime in on the set-up vs. MC2301 that are next to them.
attachment.php
 
Last edited:
Amtrax

This is very cool.

Now I'm a big MAC fan and Klipsch fan but am always interested in other things.

I have been browsing the Cary site for awhile now and very curious what a nice pair of SET amps like that would sound on some horns.

Very much looking forward to your opinion.

jc
 
Trying other brands/sound is what makes this hobby fun. A Conrad Johnson pre-amp is on my list.

They had the MC2301 hooked up prior to the Cary. That was last week. The 805s are still running and capred with PMC is the BEST so far.
 
I suspect the McIntosh mc2000 has WAY less measured distortion than the Cary and therefore will likely sound more natural throughout the entire audio band. Been a while since I’ve heard the top of the line SET Cary stuff, but I remember that SET magic in the midband -- nicley made stuff -- almost went wiht Cary before i decided on Mc
 
Back
Top Bottom