• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

MC2000 Question

Register to hide this ad
Humm, why would you think any McIntosh amps are "voiced"? If the numbers and waveform shape are great so is the sound.
I always equate the 'voiced' idea to a weak design.

Thanks,
Ron-C
 
the mc2000_bro.pdf has a lot of info about the mc-2000. no mention about speakers. you can google mc2000_bro.pdf for a copy or email me and I will send you a copy.
 
Humm, why would you think any McIntosh amps are "voiced"? If the numbers and waveform shape are great so is the sound.
I always equate the 'voiced' idea to a weak design.

Thanks,
Ron-C

A little misunderstanding. Let me asked differently. When the amp was being demonstrated at the factory after its completion and everyone was sitting around listening to it what were the speakers of choice to use with it.

LS340'S maybe?

XRT25'S ?

I figure there must have been a speker that was preferred.
 
I believe that Sydney had ML1s in his office. The sound room would have had 290s and XRT26s back then.

Thanks,
Ron-C
 
I believe that Sydney had ML1s in his office. The sound room would have had 290s and XRT26s back then.

Thanks,
Ron-C

Ahhhhh, the venerable ML1C's :thmbsp: Very, very nice sounding speakers! Musical indeed! :music:

These are great speakers .... I listen to them every night .... more than my XRT30's ......... :D
 
I often thought of pairing my MC2000 up with some LS340's I may now have to pick up a pair of those ML1C's and give it a listen. I just picked up a C100 to use with it that I believe would have been the preamp of choice. It is shown in the owners manual with it and was soo impressed with the sound it got me thinking what speaker did they use?

Do I dare ask what speaker wire and interconnects would have been preffered?
 
I would love a copy if poss. Will send you a PM.

howie
sent to your email but it was returned. to can google mc2000_bro.pdf and it will come right up.

I tried to upload, but I guess it's too big, or I don't have enough stars by my name to do this yet.

Oh, I tired it again...looks like I can upload it, so there it is, attached.
 

Attachments

When I decided it was time to put together a stereo, I googled 'best sounding speakers' and found that B&W were well regarded. I then came on a post raving about McIntosh. I had never heard of them. I did a dealer search and found a shop that sold both.

When I entered the dealership, the MC2000 was being demoed with LS360s. I couldn't believe my ears. The sound was glorious. I walked off to the side and even down the hallway. Everywhere I went this beautiful sound followed me. I remember thinking 'If I ever have the money, that is the stereo I would buy'.

Two years later I owned the exact pair of speakers (dealer demo) and a used MC2000. It's been three years now and I can't imagine anything sounding much better.

James
 
Yea, its always twice as sweet when you lust after a system and finally have enough money to buy it. I still remember reading the review in Stereophile on the MC2000 and thinking the same thing "some day". Then three years later picking up one used myself.

I also can't get the sound of LS360s I heard at a dealer years ago out of my head but fear the MC2000 would't have enough power for them. That is why I was leaning towards the LS340s.
 
Bigger speakers can handle more power but often the bigger speaker is easier to power. This is the case between the LS340 and LS360.

Thanks,
Ron-c
 
Darn, never realized that. I think will have to pick a pair of those LS360's up. I have been thinking about it for a long time. Just always liked them. They seem to be very under rated.

I have been hearing great things about those XRT1Ks seems they would work great too. However, I'll have to wait and save up again for a pair of those.
 
As far as power goes, I do most of my listening at a setting of between 40 and 50 on the C45 (0 is zero volume, 100 is full volume), and my power meters do most of their dancing around the vertical position. In other words, about 1 watt.

As for a pre-amp made to mate with the MC2000, McIntosh made a commemorative C2200 (complete with gold plated knobs). This was the pre I first heard with the MC2000. I went with the C45 because I am interested in multi-channel.

I agree with you that the LS360s are underated. I've seen some go for prices that seem absurdly low.

James
 
Thats a cool preamp never gave it a look before. That multi channel input is very nice indeed. I think you made a good choice with the solid state preamp. I have that gold addition C2200 mentioned and prefere the sound of the C100 over it. Seems to be more quite and robust sounding. Fuller mids and lows.

I am going to seriously start to look for a pair of LS360s must give them a try now. Besides for what they are going for it is hard to go wrong and I can always sell them.
 
I'm very happy with the C45, great sound and great features. Matches up very well with the tube amplifier.

Good luck with the LS360s. One tip... I read on this site a couple years ago that they were designed to sound best with the grills on. Otherwise there will be a dip in the midrange. This point is not mentioned anywhere in the manual, but it does make a difference.
 
Back
Top Bottom